Can't get past FTP in the installer?

Started by [Unknown], May 30, 2004, 01:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallTalkNation

I'm 100% positive I CHMOD'd the directories.

Also, there was not a install.php in my /forum/ directory.

SiMoN-SaYs

i keep getting the error message
QuoteA critical error has occurred.

This installer was unable to find the installer's language file or files. They should be found under:
/forum/Themes/default/languages

i have tried removing all the files, re adding them, but i keep getting the same error. i have track the files and they are correct. i dont know what to do.  :'(

ripvanwinkle

Quote from: Killer Possum on July 30, 2004, 05:09:07 PM
Try the CHMOD manually...

Quote from: [Unknown] on May 30, 2004, 01:02:34 AM
If you are on a linux or other unix based server, which is what most servers are, you will need to chmod the following list of files to 777.  This can be done easily with most modern FTP clients, by right clicking on the files and going to "Permissions", "chmod", or "Properties..." (it varies...)  The files and directories are:

• attachments (directory)
  • Packages (directory)
  • Packages/installed.list
  • Packages/server.list
  • Smileys (directory)
  • Themes (directory)
  • Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php (and any other Install.language.php files.)
  • agreement.txt
  • Settings.php
  • Settings_bak.php
  • install.php

These files are exactly the ones the installer will try to make writable for you if it can connect through FTP.  It only asks for FTP information if one of these files is not writable.

Just arrived at this point but have got further and have manually changed all the required files and folders to all the sevens (777).

However, when trying then to run install.php which is located int the smf root folder the following error appears "A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again."

What is it that I have to check?

[Unknown]

Try making them 755 instead.

-[Unknown]

ripvanwinkle

Perhaps my own and similar circumstances can help you.  I too came across the same error as you have.  Have a look at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=45872.0  I eventually deleted all my files and uploaded them all over again.  Like British Rail says, "We're getting there".

Quote from: SiMoN-SaYs on August 15, 2005, 12:35:32 PM
i keep getting the error message
QuoteA critical error has occurred.

This installer was unable to find the installer's language file or files. They should be found under:
/forum/Themes/default/languages

i have tried removing all the files, re adding them, but i keep getting the same error. i have track the files and they are correct. i dont know what to do.

cibreso

hello there, I am new to smf, I actually have a phpbb board but really want to move to smf, anyway

went thru everything here but after I click continue on install.php i got this message

can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'

any idea ? thx

SiMoN-SaYs

thanks for the help, it was down to my host and me getting the wrong information. its all running fine now thanks. :D

MasterOfHyrule

I have a problem with the ftp thing also.

I don't know what to put for the "local path to SMF."  If I leave that part blank I get an error:

An Error Has Occurred!
2: copy(/home/jlieroxa/public_html/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/Themes/default/images/english/chat.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /home/jlieroxa/public_html/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 814

I get the almost the same error for the arcade.

Can anyone help?
Also I did tons of searching for this and tried different methods but no luck. My websites name is this:
http://www.lierox.net/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/index.php [nofollow]?

Intbel

Read everything and after three days my brain hurts something awful.

Created a folder "Forum" and uploaded all files to it.
Couldn't make the necessary files wtiteable via ftp so did that manually, no worries.

The next step ... three days and not yet accomplished.

Question: does the databse folder (I'm using default smf folder) need to be inside my 'forum' folder or not?

Second question - is there anywayI am able to do this step manually?

>sigh< and I thought this was going to be such a simple thing to set up ...

Oldiesmann

Quote from: MasterOfHyrule on September 14, 2005, 07:30:05 PM
I have a problem with the ftp thing also.

I don't know what to put for the "local path to SMF."  If I leave that part blank I get an error:

An Error Has Occurred!
2: copy(/home/jlieroxa/public_html/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/Themes/default/images/english/chat.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /home/jlieroxa/public_html/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 814

I get the almost the same error for the arcade.

Can anyone help?
Also I did tons of searching for this and tried different methods but no luck. My websites name is this:
http://www.lierox.net/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums/index.php?

In your case, local path to SMF would be /public_html/moh/outofsiteauctions/forums

Intbel - send me a PM with a link to the install file and all the appropriate info (database name, username, password, what username and password you want to use for your board) and I'll see what I can do for you.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Intbel

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 28, 2005, 10:23:37 AM
Quote from: MasterOfHyrule on September 14, 2005, 07:30:05 PM
Intbel - send me a PM with a link to the install file and all the appropriate info (database name, username, password, what username and password you want to use for your board) and I'll see what I can do for you.

Sorry for late response ... working long hours...
Thanks for your offer to help, but got that problem sorted.
I've admin'd a few forums but never set one up before.

Now I've screwed it up completely, however .. though I'm sure there must be a way of resolving things  ... but that is another topic so will post elsewhere ...

Thnx

webhostau

I just cant get past this install part

/domains/wiseguy.com/public_html/forum

Whats wrong? I chmod the folders and files 777.

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oldiesmann

The path should be public_html/forum, not /domains/wiseguy.com/public_html/forum
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

uwak18

need help.  I've already downloaded the file and extracted it.  But I can't install it. :-[

uwak18

is there a very simple way to install smf. ???

Oldiesmann

What happens when you try to install it? If you're getting the FTP screen, make sure that the info you've entered is correct.

The path to SMF is the path from your root directory, not the complete server path.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

OneShot

I have chmodded everything to 777, still no luck. It is stuck on the first screen - 'you have to chmod these files'. It says if I input my ftp password the program will do it for me. I don't think inputting my ftp password over an insecure channel is the smartest move. Any other ideas?

forgot to add, I am trying to install the latest version of SMF from your download page. Just checked - smf_1-0-5_install.zip is the file I downloaded, unzipped and ftpd to my server.

thank you.

OneShot

Quote from: OneShot on November 25, 2005, 10:15:43 AM
I have chmodded everything to 777, still no luck. It is stuck on the first screen - 'you have to chmod these files'. It says if I input my ftp password the program will do it for me. I don't think inputting my ftp password over an insecure channel is the smartest move. Any other ideas?

forgot to add, I am trying to install the latest version of SMF from your download page. Just checked - smf_1-0-5_install.zip is the file I downloaded, unzipped and ftpd to my server.

thank you.

Hello. I know it's a holiday weekend here in the States but I was really hoping someone could give me some help. :)

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Advertisement: