News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mod Authors: Modification Approval Guidelines

Started by winrules, October 03, 2006, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudolf

There were some mods that had in their version: beta. And the author clearly stated that it's beta.
And they got approved.
I'm not saying that the team's job to find bugs in people's mods, and I also know that many mods are submitted are not actually tested, but to approve mods where it's so evident that it's in beta seems to be contradicting what the team is saying.

Besides, it strikes me funny to hear a mod author asking to have his mod between the "official" ones, when the mod author himself doesn't trust it.
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

JayBachatero

I agree with Rudolf on this.  They should make a new topic asking people to test it out before submitting it to the mod site.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Chris Curran

Well, I guess there have been some changes to the mod upload process over the last few weeks...

Back on Feb 3, I uploaded a mod package for approval (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=655). While waiting for this mod to be approved (it has not yet), I modified the code to conform to SMF coding standards regarding the placement of braces. While I was at it, I added some config items over in Admin|Calendar. So far, so good.

I tried to upload the current code set (via EDIT) and ran into a problem - it didn't like the package id I've been using, "Chris Curran". OK, I edit the proper files in the package and change "Chris Curran" to "ChrisCurran", save it and update my zip file. I then try to upload the mod package with the updated id and nope - "ChrisCurran" wasn't the one who uploaded the file to start with so it's rejected. Catch-22. :)

What next?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Chris Curran

I suppose the one without spaces so as not to upset the mod upload process? Otherwise, I don't really care as long as it works...

thx,
Chris

Quote from: JayBachatero on March 01, 2007, 11:47:02 PM
What id would you like to use?

SleePy

Chris Curran,

I made that mods id have no spaces. It currently looks like this:
ChrisCurran:repeatingEvents_1

Thank you for taking time to ensure that your mod meets our guidelines. This will help speed up the process of your mod and get it approved  :D  
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Chris Curran

Quote from: SleePy on March 02, 2007, 12:15:25 AM
Chris Curran,

I made that mods id have no spaces. It currently looks like this:
ChrisCurran:repeatingEvents_1

Thank you for taking time to ensure that your mod meets our guidelines. This will help speed up the process of your mod and get it approved  :D

I just tried to upload the mod again (with a package-info.xml id of "<id>ChrisCurran:repeatingEvents_1_2</id>") and it rejected it with the following error msg:

The package id given in the uploaded file does not match the package id given by previous versions of this mod.

You reference "ChrisCurran:repeatingEvents_1". In my original zip (the one that I assume you're playing with), I had "Chris Curran:repeatingEvents_1_0". Is the lack of a trailing "_0" significant?

thx,
Chris

SleePy

I am sure it is because of the length is the reason the _0 didn't get applied.
You shouldn't change the ID for each version you upload. that is what the <version></version> is for.
Would you like the _1 taken out?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Chris Curran

Quote from: SleePy on March 02, 2007, 12:37:36 AM
I am sure it is because of the length is the reason the _0 didn't get applied.
You shouldn't change the ID for each version you upload. that is what the <version></version> is for.
Would you like the _1 taken out?

OHHH! OK, I misunderstood the convention... Yes, please remove the "_1" and I'll do the same.

thx,
Chris

SleePy

ok..
Your ID is now: ChrisCurran:repeatingEvents

ディン1031

Quote from: JayBachatero on March 01, 2007, 10:00:50 PM
I agree with Rudolf on this.  They should make a new topic asking people to test it out before submitting it to the mod site.
So this is not true, it's the last beta (for my mod it's the beta 3, the first beta release was 06. January 2007). There are some tests out there to find errors and more things. And i thought the 3rd beta is very stable, and it could made a official release for it... but if this not a good idea i will remove it now... and wait if some more errors out there. The other reason was to find out if i missed some options for the mod who are standard in vBullitin. I've never seen the system in admin mode, so i don't know what else could be set for the mod, and so i thought with this beta release i could also find out this... but okay than i will do find out this after the final release. Sorry that i thought it was a good idea.

Bye
DIN1031
Support only via MOD Thread! NO PM Support!
My Forum: ayu][kult Forum
My Mods: My Small Mod Collection
My Parser: DIN1031's ModParser
Current Info: More away the next days, because i've to much work to do :x

Chris Curran

Joshua Dickerson

DIN1031: We are discussing the idea of not accepting beta versions. For right now, we are still accepting them. If we decide otherwise, we will try to make sure everyone knows. I guess the best way to stay informed is to stay on-top of this topic.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

JayBachatero

Quote from: DIN1031 on March 02, 2007, 12:44:36 AM
Quote from: JayBachatero on March 01, 2007, 10:00:50 PM
So this is not true, it's the last beta (for my mod it's the beta 3, the first beta release was 06. January 2007). There are some tests out there to find errors and more things. And i thought the 3rd beta is very stable, and it could made a official release for it... but if this not a good idea i will remove it now... and wait if some more errors out there. The other reason was to find out if i missed some options for the mod who are standard in vBullitin. I've never seen the system in admin mode, so i don't know what else could be set for the mod, and so i thought with this beta release i could also find out this... but okay than i will do find out this after the final release. Sorry that i thought it was a good idea.

Bye
DIN1031
Well since you are looking to add more feature then yea you can just upload it.  I thought you were talking about you just made a mod and need people to see if it "breaks" their boards or not.  But if you and a few others tested it and it works then that's fine.
Follow me on Twitter

Rudolf

Quote from: JayBachatero on March 02, 2007, 01:47:39 AM
I thought you were talking about you just made a mod and need people to see if it "breaks" their boards or not.

DIN, I thought the same thing. If you say beta everyone will think that it still has bugs. Personally, when I write a mod and I call it beta it means that the features I added are tested (as much as possible) and I am confident that it won't break/crash/destroy anyone's forum. Bugs may still occur, but they are mostly flaws in the logic, features nto working as expected, and it's never critical (for the forum).  
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

karlbenson

^ yeah, I agree with that

When I get to beta stage, I'm confident enough to install it on my own forum.

Like the others said, any alpha, work in progress mods are probably best posted in topics.

Daniel15

QuotePersonally, when I write a mod and I call it beta it means that the features I added are tested (as much as possible) and I am confident that it won't break/crash/destroy anyone's forum. Bugs may still occur, but they are mostly flaws in the logic, features nto working as expected, and it's never critical (for the forum). 
Yeah, I agree with that :). My betas are usually incomplete. Their existing features work correctly, but I haven't yet finished adding all the features I'd like to ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Chris Curran

Quote from: Daniel15 on March 02, 2007, 07:52:37 PM
Yeah, I agree with that :). My betas are usually incomplete. Their existing features work correctly, but I haven't yet finished adding all the features I'd like to ;)

That's not a beta. It's an incomplete project. :) A beta is the last phase before deployment and should contain all features/functionality that have been scheduled for release. Adding features/functionality during the beta phase returns the project to "alpha" status.

niko

Quote from: Chris Curran on March 02, 2007, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: Daniel15 on March 02, 2007, 07:52:37 PM

That's not a beta. It's an incomplete project. :) A beta is the last phase before deployment and should contain all features/functionality that have been scheduled for release. Adding features/functionality during the beta phase returns the project to "alpha" status.

No, betas are not usually feature locked. Release Candidates are usually only bug fixes
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Chris Curran

Quote from: Niko on March 04, 2007, 05:00:43 PM
No, betas are not usually feature locked. Release Candidates are usually only bug fixes

Maybe here at SMF, but not in the world of professional software development. A "beta" is by definition "feature locked".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage#Beta

Advertisement: