News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

View Single Category

Started by dougiefresh, October 06, 2006, 12:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Andrés

Hi, I believe there's some kind of issues while using this mod and Alias Boards.
When I access a category its working normal but, there's a blank category below with an empty board (empty of name and pretty much everything) and it's gone when I removed all the alias.

Thought you'll now better where should I modify to get this fixed.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

dougiefresh

Quote from: Diego Andrés on September 20, 2015, 11:20:07 PM
Hi, I believe there's some kind of issues while using this mod and Alias Boards.
When I access a category its working normal but, there's a blank category below with an empty board (empty of name and pretty much everything) and it's gone when I removed all the alias.
Because I read the Alias Boards mod thread long long ago, I happen to know that the way the Alias Boards mod is implemented is to blame for this particular nasty bug.....  What happens when the Alias Boards mod is installed is all board information is gathered for the Board Index.  When it is displayed, we can easily display the aliased boards on the Board Index because we have the information already pulled to do so.  When you throw in the Single Category mod in the mix, all of a sudden, the aliased boards don't work.  This is because the query was changed to ONLY pull the boards from the specified category, making any aliases worthless because all the board information isn't loaded....

In all likelihood, the changes will somehow need to be made in the Alias Boards mod so that the information is available within a single category.  That mod has been marked for a revamp to correct issues such as board ordering with aliases mixed in....  I seriously doubt any changes will need to be made in the Single Category mod.

Diego Andrés

Great, I'm moving my eyes into that support topic then.

Thank you.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.6 - July 5th, 2017
o Added support for SMF 2.1 Beta 3.
o Removed support for SMF 2.1 Beta 2, as well as SMF 2.0.8 and older.

confuseamuse

I have a problem with this mod and it occurs when you click on a link in the path whilst in a topic (seen above as such):

If you click on the category name whilst in a topic, it directs you to a page with nothing below the path. The url also reads:

forum.com/index.php?c=7
Instead of:
forum.com/index.php?action=forum;c=1

How would I correct this error?

Arantor

So there's a conflict between whatever portal mod you use and this mod, and I'm not sure what the correct URL should be since intercepting process flow that early on really isn't a good idea for mod compatibility.

So, let's start with that, which portal mod do you use?

confuseamuse

Quote from: Arantor on August 02, 2017, 05:21:20 PM
So there's a conflict between whatever portal mod you use and this mod, and I'm not sure what the correct URL should be since intercepting process flow that early on really isn't a good idea for mod compatibility.

So, let's start with that, which portal mod do you use?

Now that you've said this, it might be the PrettyUrls mods that's causing the conflict.

I also use SimplePortal.

dougiefresh

Let me look into this bug report....

brynn

Hi Friends,  (sorry, longish)
I've just run into the last issue reported here, too.  I think I've seen those kind of links referred to as "breadcrumbs", although I tend to think of it more as a link-path.

Anyway, for example, you've just finished reading a topic, and you want to go back to the same category (for whatever reason).  Find the link-path/breadcrumbs, and click on the category.

For me, it actually opens a page.  Every single category opens the same URL (https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?c=3).  I don't know why that URL opens this page, because that's not the URL for that page.  The page it opens technically is an article in the Tiny Portal mod.  But it's real URL is either https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php, or https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?page=28.  I have no idea how "c=3" got to be on the end, or why the whole URL opens that page.

SMF 2.0.14
Tiny Portal 1.2 (need to upgrade)
View Single Category 2.4 (need to upgrade)

I can list all our mods, if necessary (around 45).  I made a topic which you can use for testing:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=769.0  I don't think you'll need to register.

Oh, this is interesting!  I have another SMF forum which uses Simple Portal.  (Let's call the first one IC for Inkscape Community, and let's call this one ICD Inkscape for Cutting Design.)  https://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php

In ICD, clicking the category, no matter where you click the link (from the index page, or link-path in an open topic) it simply uses something like an html anchor.  Instead of opening a new portal page which displays only the category (as it does in IC) it simply changes which part of the index page you're looking at.  It puts whatever category you clicked at the top.  But if you scroll, you can still get to the rest of the index page.  In IC, the mod actually makes a new portal page, with only that category on it - even if you scroll, only that category is on the page.

I don't know, maybe that anchor-like behavior is a fallback or something, if a particular theme isn't compatible?  But I thought worth a mention.

The main issue is in IC where the link does not open the category (in any way).

Sort of off topic:
If it can be explained in a relatively simple way, could someone explain why this issue is not a bug?  Why is clicking on a category, not opening a category, not a bug?  I mean, I certainly appreciate that we have this mod to fix it.  But it seems to me like the forum's code should be fixed instead. 

I don't remember what clicking on the category does (since I've had this mod for a while).  But I don't know what could be considered more appropriate than clicking on a category  to open that category.  This really is the only complaint I've ever had about SMF (compared to other forum software).
End off topic

Anyway, let me know if I can help with testing and stuff.  Or if you need any more info.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.7 - March 5th, 2018
o Changed operations in Sources/QueryString.php for better compatibility.

-Rock Lee-

I do not fully understand how it works ... but I'm going to try it if I catch it :P very good @dougiefresh thanks for sharing ;D.

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.8 - November 9th, 2018
o No functionality change.
o Updated documentation to point to new website.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.9 - May 22, 2019
o Added support for SMF 2.1 RC2.
o Removed support for SMF 2.1 Beta 3.

Juanchoartes

Hello,

This mod is a great idea and exactly what I need. Another great work dougiefresh!  ;)

Unfortunately, several errors appear to me and that is why I have not installed it. I know it's been a while since the last update of the mod, but any help would be more than welcome.

I have the version of SMF 2.0.15 installed and the theme I have installed is "Dash" from SMFTricks.

I get two errors related to the ./Sources/Subs-BoardIndex.php and ./Themes/Dash/BoardIndex.template.php files. I attached the files in case someone could help me and also two screen captures of what appears to me when I try to install the mod.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Juanchoartes

By the way, I have installed "TinyPortal 1.6.4" and "SMF 2.0.15 Update". No more mods installed.

Thanks.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Juanchoartes

Quote from: Kindred on January 14, 2020, 05:46:05 AM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

Although you really should update to 2.0.17

Thank you very much. I will update to 2.0.17 version and then I will try the mod installation (automatic and manual).

Cheers and thanks!

Juanchoartes

Hello,

I have updated SMF to version 2.0.17 and then I have tried to install the mod. The same errors still appeared, so I clicked on install and I made manually the changes that caused the errors, writing the code in the files.

The problem was being caused by a change that I had made in these files to hide a topic from the forum's home page. The original files had changed and that's why the installation of the mod gave me those errors.

The mod is working perfect now in SMF 2.0.17. Using the "Dash" theme.

Thank you very much to Kindred for your help and to dougiefresh for creating this mod.

Cheers!  ;D

SilverKnight

Yes, appears to fail on the javascript script.js file

oOption.value = aBoardsAndCategories[i].isCategory ? '#c' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id : '?board=' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id + '.0';

In smf 2.0.17 this was changed to:

oOption.value = aBoardsAndCategories[i].isCategory ? '?action=forum#c' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id : '?board=' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id + '.0';

It's a very minor change

Scratch that, nevermind, change was due to my installation of simple portal

Shades.

Quote from: SilverKnight on December 12, 2020, 02:46:24 AM
Yes, appears to fail on the javascript script.js file

oOption.value = aBoardsAndCategories[i].isCategory ? '#c' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id : '?board=' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id + '.0';

In smf 2.0.17 this was changed to:

oOption.value = aBoardsAndCategories[i].isCategory ? '?action=forum#c' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id : '?board=' + aBoardsAndCategories[i].id + '.0';

It's a very minor change

Scratch that, nevermind, change was due to my installation of simple portal

Yep, I just discovered this problem in 2.0.18

Changed that line to:
QuoteoOption.value = aBoardsAndCategories.isCategory ? '?action=forum;c=' + aBoardsAndCategories.id : '?board=' + aBoardsAndCategories.id + '.0';
and it works great!
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Advertisement: