News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Lesson Requests

Started by Parham, August 31, 2003, 12:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

A captcha is a way to tell apart a human from a computer. Most e-mail services use it now days. http://www.captcha.net/
Just do it, go Charter! [Unknown] offered me a spot on the dev team! I swear it!

"Sup foos'! I'm Marshie! Capital M and then arshie! I'm going this way!!!"

Acf

Some php lessons with mysql would be fun :)
Sigh...

eFishie

I knew captchas would be cool!! :D
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Parham

i'm going to give a lesson on regexes (afer the main lessons are done) which will give an overview of what regexes are, plus i think i'm only going to explain preg_match and preg_replace (giving word censorship as an example)... mind you, this lesson won't be at all detailed, it will be VERY basic, giving room for the reader to go do research if they wanted to.

Aquilo

that would be cool! even though I have read and know where to look I still have problems
getting it into my head about the regexe flags. ::)

webdude

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?threadid=1690

How about "how to creating a script to randomly load music files" in a browser window??  ;D

pulpitfire

Quote from: Shadow on September 14, 2003, 02:52:29 AM
A captcha is a way to tell apart a human from a computer. Most e-mail services use it now days. http://www.captcha.net/

Is that like those pictures they display with a word or number on them, and then ask you to type what you see, to prevent automated registration?

pulpitfire

Quote from: </Acf> on September 14, 2003, 07:42:09 AM
Some php lessons with mysql would be fun :)

Yeah, one of the areas I'd like to master, is mysql queries.

Symetrix

I'd like a tutorial on upgrading the various aspects, php, apache, mysql and phpmyadmin (all the components) as they will need upgrading, and it's not as easy to upgrade as it is to install

[Unknown]

Quote from: Symetrix on November 23, 2003, 07:12:43 PM
I'd like a tutorial on upgrading the various aspects, php, apache, mysql and phpmyadmin (all the components) as they will need upgrading, and it's not as easy to upgrade as it is to install

Yes it is.  I wrote a tutorial on installing, and upgrading is easier still.

-[Unknown]

Symetrix

I was able to install them fine, but I cant upgrade them at all. I'm trying to upgrade PHP, I downloaded it, installed it, it overwrote the old files, yet it continues to be the old versions. I changed the references in apache that it is loading, but I cant get it to load the new version, no matter what I try. So either it is easy and I'm just missing something dreadfully obvious, or theres some hidden configuring to do somewhere.

[Unknown]

You have, umm... restarted, right?  That's a sorta crucial step...

If you overwrote the executable, and you overwrote everything else, it should work... unless it's pointing to the wrong place.

-[Unknown]

Symetrix

I have restarted, and as far as I can see the installer overwrote all the right files. It was PHP I was installing, and I was installing to c:\php - where it currently is. It replaced files, made backups etc. but it doesnt seem to be updated

Cadish

A lesson in MySQL would be great!! MySQL is a great 'function' and many php scripts need this... (like SMF and YaBBSE ;))

And I see lot of users asking help for their MySQL problems :o

Curbow 5

i'd like a mysql 101 too! i'm getting more familiar with php every day, but i've never made it from flatfile to mysql.... getting what you want through your query, inserting stuff into tables etc. bring it on! :)

Valconeye

I too would like some mysql tuts  :)

Cadish

Especially joins and so on... ;)

bostasp

Sorry to dig this thread up, but what's the chance of getting a lesson on xml? I need to do a bit of reading up on it myself, cause I haven't a clue about it, but a lesson here might be interesting.

Parham

xml is nothing more than you making your own tags and nesting them properly.

bostasp

So any half-wit idea I had about it was probably right then?

Advertisement: