News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Duplicate a post feature?

Started by DragonLady, October 11, 2006, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonLady

I have a fairly large board, and some of the topics really drift.  I don't want to move the posts, because it would disrupt the topic's continuity, but rather would like my mods to be able to duplicate them elsewhere as a seperate topic, or to duplicate and merge individual posts with other topics they also fit in. 

Would this be possible?  It would really help a lot on my board! :)

DragonLady

If this can't be added as a mod, is it possible to do manually within the database itself?

I don't mess around with the database much, for fear of breaking something, but if it's possible to copy parts of a thread to another thread, that would really be helpful.

Tony Reid

The split topic feature is the closest thing to what you want I think.

Tony Reid

DragonLady

No, I don't want to split up the topics.  I want to be able to duplicate relevant sections into new topics.

For instance, if a topic about cats segues into a discussion about dogs, I can copy the "dog" posts into a new topic, making one about cats and dogs, and one about only dogs, without disrupting the continuity of the first discussion.

On my sewing board, this happens a lot -a topic about fashion will contain a lot of posts about other stuff -buttons or shoes or whatever.  I don't want to remove the posts from the 'fashion' topic, because they belong there and the threads become very chatty and informal.  But I also want to be able to duplicate the posts that are worthy of a topic of their own.

Just the ability to copy a thread or a post, the same way I can currently delete them.

Willie

A duplicate post and duplicate topic feature would be very helpful. After ten years of running boards, I agree with DragonLady. We frequently have to split topics and they are left a mess because portions of the split topic are gone when they were vital to the thread. And, there are times when we want to duplicate topics in more than one board.

I had UBB for many years and we had these features. This is the only thing I miss. SMF is doing a great job, but this feature is really needed by all who care about keeping threads on topic. Like DragonLady, it is important enough that I too will go into the inner workings if someone will show us how. That is how important it is.

I have requested this feature a number of times in the past. Thanks for your consideration. It would make SMF the top board software from my perspective.

RoadRanger

Did a mod for this ever get made?

Kindred

nope...   and you might note that, in 9 years exactly TWO people have requested such a thing....

as a side note... Potentially, google might penalize you for doing this.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on February 13, 2015, 07:54:48 AMas a side note... Potentially, google might penalize you for doing this.

Just for my own enlightenment, why is that? Just a short, quick answer is okay. If it's a long explanation don't bother ... I don't HAVE to know, just wanted to learn something new to me.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Antes

Quote from: Steve on February 13, 2015, 06:12:10 PM
Quote from: Kindred on February 13, 2015, 07:54:48 AMas a side note... Potentially, google might penalize you for doing this.

Just for my own enlightenment, why is that? Just a short, quick answer is okay. If it's a long explanation don't bother ... I don't HAVE to know, just wanted to learn something new to me.

Duplicated content. :)

Steve

So that lowers one's ranking in search results as far as Google is concerned?

Antes

Simply you try to trick SE with lots of topics but they are same. In different domains Google counts other topics as cloned, in the same domain it counts them as duplicated. This is like reading exact same page over and over again in same book.

Steve

Kindred

That is why we implemented the canonical tag in smf 2.0...   So that Google is told that the page x, and page y and the print version of page x, and the wap version of page x are actually all the same page...  By stating it in that tag, Google does not penalize the site
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Cool. That is one of the reasons I switched to SMF ... you don't find these things in other software (that I'm aware of). :)

Advertisement: