"Silent" bridge using subdomains?

Started by kai920, May 25, 2008, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kai920

If I set up a site as follows, can I use the bridge to "silently" bridge the user login names and passwords?

mambo.mydomain.com
smf.mydomain.com (I intend to use Tinyportal here)

Orstio

That would work from Mambo->SMF, but not the other way.

Because the bridge for Mambo 4.6.x mas the authenticator bots, anything to do with user authentication will include SMF authentication in the workflow.

The problem with this method is users accessing SMF.  Logging in at the subdoain would not log the user into Mambo, for example.

kai920

Quote from: Orstio on May 25, 2008, 03:16:05 PM
Logging in at the subdoain would not log the user into Mambo, for example.

Will the usernames/passwords still synchronize from Mambo <-> SMF?

Is it possible to log in at smf.mydomain.com and have the bridge log the user in at mambo.mydomain.com? If not possible, perhaps a big sign saying "log in with the same username/password" would work?

Orstio

The biggest issues you're going to have is users registering in SMF only, or changing their profile details in SMF only.

kai920

Oh, then in that case that's not going to work... I thought the usernames and passwords would still be in sync.

Orstio

Well, if a user registers in SMF only, and then logs in to Mambo later, they will be migrated in.  However, they won't have any access to the Mambo admin panel if you give them that access, at least not until they change their password in Mambo.

If they decide to change their password in SMF, they wouldn't be able to login to Mambo with the new password.

The bridge relies very heavily on the fact that SMF is wrapped in the Mambo context.  Thus, accessing SMF outside the bridge leads to these types of problems.

kai920

Thanks for the explanation. I could almost ditch the CMS completely, but there is/are one or two applications for Mambo that I think would still be useful. thus I'm thinking of keeping the bridge for a "just in case" scenario...

If I kept SMF wrapped inside Mambo, would Tinyportal cause any interference with the bridge? I realize many people would say "why would you need both Mambo and TP" -- but technically speaking would it work?

Orstio

Yes, it does work.  I have seen others do it.

Kindred

please note... you do not have to ACTUALLY wrap SMF inside mambo...  (you don't need to have your forum with the mambo menus, etc)

just choose "unwrapped" in the bridge config.... and it will LOOK like the smf is stand-alone... but the URL will be option=com_smf
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kai920

Quote from: Kindred on May 26, 2008, 08:23:18 AM
just choose "unwrapped" in the bridge config.... and it will LOOK like the smf is stand-alone... but the URL will be option=com_smf

I have never tried this before but will keep it in mind. Thanks.

Question: have the two of you got opinions on Mambo+SMF bridge vs. TP?

I'm coming from Joomla and want to make my site more "forum centric" and I am mainly attracted by TP's frontpage ability to pull items from multiple forums as "news". But I know there are Joomla modules that uses ssi_boardnews to accomplish roughly the same thing... I've used one myself before actually.

Other items I see on the default TP frontpage I believe can be replicated in Mambo/Joomla fairly easily. Correct me if wrong-

• Downloads (DOCman sadly does not seem to support Mambo anymore.. Remository is the Mambo equivalent?)
  • Recent posts box (plenty of modules for this)
  • Stats box with members list, latest user registered, stats with link, users online with link (should have modules available)
Can you educate me on something TP has that would not be easily accomplished in Mambo?

I'm leaning towards going with "only" Mambo, for reasons stated above, as well as these reasons. These are actually the biggies IMO (for me):

• can check out SMF2.0 once the new bridge is ready. I understand TP won't be made to work with SMF2 "for a long time ahead"
  • don't have to do any work to existing URLs. That is, assuming the bridge URLs generated are the same with Joomla vs Mambo brdige. I use SEF Advance and it supports both Joomla and Mambo so I assume the URLs generated are the same
Any thoughts?

Kindred

I believe that the sef advance (if it works with mambo) should work just the same as it did before for you.

I like TP... but as you note, everything in TP can be done natively in mambo (which is appropriate, since TP is a portal and mambo is a full CMS)

I think remository still work with mambo 4.6.x

I have not done a stat module for mambo... but it would not be too hard. (if the old keystats module doesn't work or is not what you want)
whosonline2 should still work with mambo...

note: *ALL* of  the modules will have to be redesigned for smf 2.0.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Orstio

ReMOSitory was made by the person who was the lead developer of Mambo  when Mambo 4.6.0 was released, so yes, it is compatible.  ;)

kai920

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to a test conversion from Joomla > Mambo.

You can bet I'll be around to "liven up" this mambo bridge support forum. Seems to be a bit quiet in here lately ;D

Quote from: Kindred on May 26, 2008, 02:59:17 PM
note: *ALL* of  the modules will have to be redesigned for smf 2.0.
When the time comes, I wouldn't mind helping out. Assuming help is wanted/needed of course :)

Advertisement: