News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"reply" transformed in to "new topic"

Started by Fizzy, June 09, 2004, 07:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzy

I just tried replying to a thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=12240.0 started by ipggi

and got the following

Start new topic
The following error or errors ocurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Fizzy

OK, just got the same error messages when posting this new thread although the post did get posted.
I wonder if the same thing will happen when I try posting this reply ?

Fizzy

I wonder if the same thing will happen when I try posting this reply ?

Yes it did  :'(

[Unknown]

I've seen this before and it was spyware.  Something is causing you to access forms via GET, or taking you back to them.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Spyware?

Blimey !

This happened whilst at work on a Win2K server that's administered and bolted down tighter than a ducks butt. I can't even download files (paranoid IT Manager at work)  so I'm not sure where the spyware could come from. I can't even test for spyware as I cannot install a thing without admin access.

Literally, I can't even import a text file in to Outlook i am that restricted  :'( . Have there been any other instances of this that do not relate to installed spyware?

Plus, I was posting fine earlier in the day and I know for a fact that nothing has been installed on my work PC during that time.

[Unknown]

Oh, okay.  In that case it could also be TOO paranoid.  I would expect it to be spyware, but... I suppose it could be something else.

Here's the problem.  Forms are submitted over POST.  Some software - whether paranoid or spyware - may cause POST requests to turn into GET requests.

Your message is sent over POST, and is lost when it turns into GET.  The fact that you're replying to a topic is also lost, because it is sent over POST too.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

As an update,

I asked my IT manager if there had been any changes at all on the network etc and he assured me there hadn't been. But today I am posting with no problems at all and no-one else reported any problems (therefore it can't be a problem with SMF).
This leads me to think that it was either a freak glitch or the IT manager had done something daft but was not prepared to admit being wrong about it. My money's on the IT manager coming back from the Pub, drunk, and tampering with things.

Thanks for your help [Unknown]

Advertisement: