News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Uploading a large file generates a error.

Started by Smigma, June 10, 2004, 05:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smigma

The attachment function works great on my forum, as long as the attachment is less the 5 megs.  I have the maximum upload size at 20 megs and the attachment folder itself at 1 gig.

When attaching something larger then 5 megs, it seems to start to upload it, then after 30 seconds or so, i get this error.

An Error Has Occurred!
There was an error saving your attachment, please try again. 

Now I've tested with several different file sizes and anything under 5 megs loads just fine. 

What might the problem be?

Ben_S

The max upload size in php.ini is probably set at 5MB.

You can check with a phpinfo file.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Smigma

Thanks for the reply.  I edited my php.ini file and edited the max upload file size to 20M, but i'm still having the problem.  Any other suggestions?

[Unknown]

There's also a time limit setting for how long it will wait on the post data/uploads.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Christian Land

Smigma

Thanks for all the reply's.  I fixed the problem, after reading through the php.ini.  I changed some variable to a longer time, retsarated apache and poof.  It works now. 

Thanks for all the help guys.

Keep up the GREAT work!

Oldiesmann

You probably changed the max execution time variable... Glad you got it working.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Winters

Er, we seem to have a similar problem. Except our file wasn't more than 5 megs, nor did we change anything in php.ini. Also, it happens only to 2 of the 4 admitted users to that subforum. The rest were able to upload attachments. They get the same message error, though.  The attachment limit wasn't the problem, either. There are no upload limits from our server (we have uploaded larger files by ftp).

Any ideas?

[Unknown]

PHP may have upload limits that FTP does not.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: