Seo 4 SMF

Started by sacx, October 30, 2006, 02:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMINI

what is social bookmarks?
signatures are boring.

sawz

i'm getting closer, but instead of coming up with the proper url, it displays this url, sorta:
http://forums.my_domain.com/home/user_name/public_html/forums/seo4smf-redirect.php

if i remove the stuff thats not supposed to be there it works, of course when i click another link, it goes back to what you see above. like i said, getting closer.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

NEMINI

I had the same problem when I tried installing the latest version this morning.  Kept adding in the /home/user_name/public_html/ part
signatures are boring.

sawz

Quote from: NEMINI on November 24, 2006, 03:25:03 PM
I had the same problem when I tried installing the latest version this morning.  Kept adding in the /home/user_name/public_html/ part
this was in the .htaccess file

#RewriteBase /forum

i changed it to:
RewriteBase /
and it works now for me.

but the profile doesn't work properly so i had to comment it out.

#RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^action=profile;u=([0-9]*)
#RewriteRule  ^(.*)$ seo4smf-redirect.php?u=%1 [R=301,L]
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

NEMINI

thought about the rewrite base after I'd un-installed it already :( will give it another go later.  Still curious what the whole social bookmarking bit is about
signatures are boring.

sacx

The problems are coming from your hosting because is not supporting full php  and just php_cgi. Just look at this thread: http://www.webmasterstalks.com/seo_4_smf/i_have_a_big_bug-t837.0.html

Seo4smf is working with some minor glitches at installing (zeroed files http://www.webmasterstalks.com/seo_4_smf/seo4smf_02_rc1-t832.0.html)

Anyway contact me on the forum for support. Until now I solved all the problems :)

Regards

shawn911

Hello,
Your tool is a nice tool as i can see it working in your site with the topics' titles in the URL. Can this work when SMF is integrated in Joomla and when there is already a SEO tool converting URLs like

h**p://www.domain.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859

URLs like h**p://www.domain.com/forum/<board-name>/<topic-name>.html is much appreciated if that does not break the Joomla integration.

sacx

I didn't test ... but is possible to work. I will look forward too see if is working or not ... I think all depends on $scripturl variable from smf. I will install a joomla,smf and a bridge for them and I will test, but this only to next week.

Regards

Kindred

I can pretty much gauranatee that this will NOT work with the joomla-smf bridge.

for SEO with the bridge, you need to use a JOOMLA-side SEO creator.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sacx

Is a possibility to work. I use just $scripturl variable from smf and if this is set it up correctly then it will work.

Anyway I will see if is working or not after some test.

Regards

shawn911

Hi,
I need your help to rewrite my Forum's URLs like you did in the htaccess.txt of your module.
But, i would like to rewrite URLs like :

/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=92&topic=646.msg9589
and
/forum/index.php?action=....

TO :
/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859

This is because i have noticed that my old URLs are all indexed by Google and after i have set up the URL rewriting, there are some duplicates.

sacx

What you want it's possible from app not from htaccess.
After that you need to handle from htaccess this path: /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859

For example if you rewrite your path to /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859 your webserver will not recognize this. Firs time this is applyed in your app and when your link is comming in this way : /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859 need to be rewritet to /index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=92&topic=646.msg9589 . In this way is working all rewrite method.:)

Regards

kazey

Google does not treat underscores as spaces for example. Can someone please tell me how do i modify the .htaccess to change the thread topic title to dashes instead of underscores, for google's sake?

So it would be in the format of

hxxp:watever.com/sports/football-is-fun.html [nonactive]

INSTEAD of the default

hxxp:watever.com/sports/football_is_fun.html [nonactive]

"-" -> Dash
Instead of
"_" -> Underscore

I tried changing the $page_name=strtolower(str_replace(" ","_",$page_name));
in  seo4smf-redirect to $page_name=strtolower(str_replace(" ","-",$page_name));
etc
but it doesnt work. any ideas?

shawn911

Quote from: sacx on November 30, 2006, 02:03:39 PM
I didn't test ... but is possible to work. I will look forward too see if is working or not ... I think all depends on $scripturl variable from smf. I will install a joomla,smf and a bridge for them and I will test, but this only to next week.

Regards

Did u get time to test this ?

Quote from: sacx on December 11, 2006, 04:06:28 PM
What you want it's possible from app not from htaccess.
After that you need to handle from htaccess this path: /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859

For example if you rewrite your path to /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859 your webserver will not recognize this. Firs time this is applyed in your app and when your link is comming in this way : /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92/topic,646.msg9859 need to be rewritet to /index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=92&topic=646.msg9589 . In this way is working all rewrite method.:)

Regards
Do you mean that i need to use header() in PHP code to make 301 redirections?
The problem is that, that will generate lots of 301 redirections that Google does not appreciate.
For now, only my forum's index page is indexed by Google. I think
I have noticed that Google does not want to spider the Forum, because there are too many duplicates pages.
Urls in this format : /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,92 and this : /index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=92&topic=646 and also this one : /forum/index.php?topic=646 are all the same. And i have no rule (in .htacces or in PHP) saying that all these concern one single page.

sacx

The problem is that, that will generate lots of 301 redirections that Google does not appreciate.

Probably but it appreciate more 301 than duplicate content.

Anyway v0.2 final is released with new features.
And now you can change the split char from url to -,+ or _. :)

Regards

Chriss Cohn

Ok, i have SMF 1.1.1 running bridged in Joomla 1.0.11 with orstios bridge 1.1.6. The Normal SEO in the SMF-Admin is disabled(won't work bridged), but i have the component Open_Sef running in Joomla which is deactivated for the smf-bridge component.
My normal Forum-links looks like this for example:
hxxp://domainname/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,98/topic,17.0

Now here my paths on Webserver:

/root (robots.txt "Disallow: /smf/")
   |
    -/cms (Joomla with .htacces for Open_sef)
    -/smf  (Forum )

What do i have to change in my robts.txt in root?
Will it work with joomla-bridge?
In which .htacces do i have to make changes?

Please creator of this mod, give me some answers.

regards, Christian

VicViper

I noticed that URLs on the statistics page and "who is online" aren't displayed correctly. They're all wrong, but redirection works nonetheless. Still, I think this generates tons and tons of duplicate content.

There's also a bug in Seo4SMFAdmin.php (lines 199 & 200):
              'seo4smf_keywords_content_topics'=>$_POST['seo4smf_description_content_topics'],
'seo4smf_keywords_content_boards'=>$_POST['seo4smf_description_content_boards'],

Needs to be

'seo4smf_keywords_content_topics'=>$_POST['seo4smf_keywords_content_topics'],
'seo4smf_keywords_content_boards'=>$_POST['seo4smf_keywords_content_boards'],

Or else your keyword settings won't be applied properly.

flegmatyk

heh this mod is sweetly working for me :)
but i have one request : could do something that will replace some polish characters, for example
ą -> a
ę -> e
ć -> c
ś -> s
ż -> z
ź -> z
ń -> n
ó -> o
ł -> l
etc., or what can i do to make that by myself? because now my url's looks like "h**p://domain.net/pliki/a�urek-mix-t111.0.html"...

flegmatyk

another problem: i had some subsities in subfolders. But now h**p://doamin.net/~subsite isnt working, but its redirected to forum index. What can i do with that?

sacx

Quote from: blotko on January 28, 2007, 03:16:19 PM
another problem: i had some subsities in subfolders. But now h**p://doamin.net/~subsite isnt working, but its redirected to forum index. What can i do with that?

Send me the url of your site and I will fix that 1

Regards

Advertisement: