Guests can't vote in polls?

Started by jayssite, June 12, 2004, 11:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayssite

This is weird ... I've upgraded to SMF and now I can't get guests to be able to vote in polls. I tried the 'Edit Permissions' in admin, and I also checked the permissions for the board it's on...
You probably need more information to figure out what's wrong, but I don't know what else to say...  the poll is located here [nofollow]. I can only vote when I'm logged in.

Meriadoc

I just ran a test on a local copy of SMF and gave guests full permissions (aka - admin) and that didn't help, so I'm guessing the disallow is hardcoded. As in, it was never designed to let guests vote. I would think that it would be hard to keep track of if a user has voted or not - only being able to tell by IP and possibly the session. I can check on this, or someone else may know the answer.

EDIT:
here's a quote from the "vote in polls" permission help file
"This permission allows a (registered) user to cast one vote. It doesn't apply to guests."
therefore guests are not allowed to vote in polls.

Merry
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Ben_S

Guests cannot vote in polls because there would be no way of tracking who voted as there is for members.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jayssite

Oh, I see. Thanks for both of your help.

destalk

That's all very well, yet there is an option for admins to allow members to vote more than once?  :-\

I would love to be able to enable Guest voting. It is one way to draw interested potential members in and it does seem strange that it is an option in permissions, but doesn't actually do anything.

The biggest problem, IMO, is one of interface. For guests, it looks like there is a fault with the board as all they see is a list of statements, with no apaprent logic as to why it is there. OK, experienced web users can work it out, but n00bs will just be confused and further alienated. At the very least it would be nice to let people know what's going on by having the checkboxes visible, for example. They could then get an error message asking them to register, when they submit.

Just some thoughts.

Advertisement: