News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

multisite forum

Started by tspore, November 01, 2006, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tspore

I am looking at the option of having a multisite forum.
I have many sites and I would like them all to share 1 forum, 1 user DB. I just want the joomla site to appear as if they are still on their own site, but it to connect all of the websites together for a chit chat. IS that possible?
So we would have 10 sites, all linked to 1 board. with 10 different templates in how it looked.

SleePy

As long as its on the same hosting account it is possible..
Heres how I did it..

Each site just needs a index.php and a Settings.php.. The Settings.php points to the source directory somewhere else..
And your database handles the Theme location and stuff. Set this up in the admin panel...

Then on the Sites I wanted a different theme to be displayed I edited the index.php and at the top just after the <?php
I added

$themeid = 2;
$_GET['theme'] = $themeid; $_POST['theme'] = $themeid; $_REQUEST['theme'] = $themeid;

I dont know why I did all 3.. Just to make sure it works.  ;)

So it would force my custom theme though the site..
Works like a charm for me..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

tspore

Thanks.... I'm not sure if I can set it up, but I will try.

SleePy

Feel Free to ask  ;) Thats what the forums are for..

But basicly all I did was copy my index.php and Settings.php main site and put them on my other site and since it was on same hosting account and I have absolute paths in there for everything It was already working..  :)

Though I did play some tricks to the Settings.php So When I put 1 site in Maintenance Mode the Other goes but I wont confuse you with that unless you want to really know..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Advertisement: