News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[BUG?] Forum gets really slow

Started by Skoen, June 13, 2004, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoen

I have some users that are complaining about the speed of my forum sometimes and even myself see that the forum is sometimes very slow and it takes a loooooong time just to load the front page of the forum. What is the solution to this. Is it just to optimize the database, might be, but when I close the window to the forum, and try again, the speed gets faster again. It's just when I try to start some topics in one single board it gets really slow. The whole forum, and I have to start all over again. My forum is www.spillarena.no/forum - user: smf pass: simple

I was also looking in my errorlog and I seem to be getting a lot of these errors:
QuoteLost connection to MySQL server during query
/hsphere/local/home/dataport/dataportalen.com/forum/Sources/Load.php
But they didn't occur when I was trying to access the threads in the "slow" board.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo
Retired Norwegian translator

Grudge

Which board is the "slow" board? So you're saying that whenever starting a topic on that board the forum runs very slowly? Is this definetly the case (ie this consistantly happens) or could it just be down to luck?

Every so often people will get a long page load because SMF does some auto repair/birthday selecting type processing every so often - but it shouldn't be occuring more than every few hours and only on one load.

Losing the connection seems problematic - is your database located on the same server as your site (ie localhost - almost certainly the case). Not sure why it would lose it but I'm guessing there's some monster query in Load which is causing it difficulties.

Hopefully Unknown will be able to comment :)
I'm only a half geek really...

Skoen

The "problem" board is http://www.spillarena.no/forum/index.php?board=64.0 <- it's whenever you're supposed to read and access a topic, it's really slow. Doen't happen on the rest of the forum.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

[Unknown]

Why is it not taking my cookie?  What version of MySQL and PHP do you have?

Those topics, indeed, do not want to load for me.  So do the topics in the Xbox board.  This could be caused by an avatar that is being checked, or several other things.

If you want to give me your FTP password, I can put debugging code in to find where it is having problems.

-[Unknown]

Skoen

PHP versjon: 4.3.1
MySQL versjon: 4.0.16-standard
Server versjon: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7b FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 PHP/4.3.1 mod_throttle/3.1.2

FTP information is in your PM,
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

[Unknown]

Skoen

Ok, thank you for helping me out. Appreciate it.
BTW, the fix you just fixed will probarbly be "unfixed" once I upgrade the forum. How can I keep this fix, er... fixed?
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

charlottezweb

In the admin center, you can check an option to make the softare size down pictures by code with each page view.  That's what he's referring to I believe.

-Jason

Anguz

I think he's talking about that too

Skoen, I wrote the avatar size control mod for SMF already, but haven't checked if it works in this beta version yet... I plan to make it public with RC1, but if you want the one I have I'll message you a link... I mention this cause I remember you using the YaBB SE one if I'm not wrong
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Skoen

Yep, I was using the YaBBSE one. Maybe include this mod into the default package, as there are many users that would have the need for it.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

Advertisement: