News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forms to forum

Started by Springer, June 13, 2004, 02:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springer

Has anyone found a way to create a form that will post the information in SMF.

BKerr

Im looking for the same thing...

[Unknown]

I have no idea what you mean, but have the feeling that if I did I could help you....

Might you explain this a little more... verbosely?

-[Unknown]

BKerr

I think were talking about the same thing...

What we are looking for is like a form on a website with various input fields and when you hit submit on the form in the website, it converts it into post and posts it automatically.

Example:

Form
Clan Name: Variable is CNAME
Clan Leader: Variable is CLead
Map: Variable is Map
Anything Else: Variable is Comments

Submit

What it posts in form
Topic Name: CNAME vs BBB
Text: Clead from CNAME challenges your team to a battle on Map. CLead had these comments:

Comments

Springer

Seems we clanners think alike.  Exactly what Bkerr said.

I am looking for anything that would allow someone to input data into a predefined form, and then have that data posted on the forum. 

If not posted in the forum the atleast retrievable by the admins.  At first I was thinking about creating a register account type page that would save the "account" to something other than the real memberlist.  Then it could view it that way.

BKerr

I dont think the "Register Account" type thing would work...but lets wait for Unknown to respond...

Springer

Probably right.  But it was the closest thing I could think of that was already in SMF.

Springer

Thanks to an idea from Dove (she posted the php spell check a while back) I think we might have thought of something.

Create a copy of the default theme name it Form1.  This is not a theme users can select.

Create a new board called Forms.  Permissions so that anyone can post.  Set to the theme Form1, non changeable.

Edit the Theme so that the message display resembles a Form.    No buttons for style, smilies, preview, or even links to other areas of the forum.  This part I am unsure about because I do not know if it is possible to manipulate the post box in such a way that it appears to the user that they are filling out a form.

This would require what ever link sent them there to act as a Post new topic or reply in the board.

Now the sneaky part.  Make the board with all access not be seen by everyone.
There is a way to make boards invisible.  So I assume that it could be adjusted to invisible to all but admin.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=3484.0

Since only the post message template was changed the admin can still read the posts and navigate correctly?

Advertisement: