News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Conversion success :)

Started by Powerbob, June 14, 2004, 01:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Powerbob

Well after reading the instructions in one thread I gave it a go and converted my Inv Board to a test install of smf. I must say it went without a hitch :D I have over 27000 posts so it took a while, but went totally smoothly. The only thing I had to do was set my members and moderators in there groups the same as they had before and just recount statistics etc and that was it.

Oh and the general Board settings of course but that is normal on a new BB software install. I had installed 2 themes before conversion and they were still there afterward 8) all in all I have to say a big "Thank You"

Powerbob

PS: You can check it out Http://www.ofbboard.com/smf/index.php

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

[Unknown]

I'm glad it went well for you.

If you're looking for someone specific to thank, I would have to say Grudge - he is the person who put the most work and effort into the Invision converter, and I must say he did a great job.

If you have any more comments, suggestions, or want to note on any way the conversion could have been smoother... please tell us.

(oh, and I edited just a small typo out of the link ^_^, don't mind me.)

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

Powerbob

Hi Grudge, I am told you are the person I have to thank for the great converter.
I must say went really well, surprising how little interaction was required. I received a couple of time-outs while converting but that was down to line probs, and after hitting the refresh button it continued on it's merry way :D

I would recommend changing the text when the converter stops (in your words, to save server overload) " there is a problem" it put the ******s up me the first time I saw it  ;D ;D

Thanks, It went like a dream

regards

Bob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Grudge

Thanks a lot Powerbob! I didn't do all the work but it's always good to hear that these things went well. I know the converter has a few bugs which have been fixed for the next beta - but glad it generally went well :)
I'm only a half geek really...

hshan

Hey Grudge.. thanks also from me. My conversion went smoothly as well. The only problem that I encountered is that none of my IPB calendar entries were transfered in the calendar. Is this not part of the script yet? Any idea how I can get the data transfered over to the new SMF calendar?

Thanks again for the great work!

Grudge

Hi,

The IPB calendar details aren't converted over at the moment I'm afraid. I'm really sorry but SMF only allows events that are tied to a post, unlike IPB. Until/If that changes converting the events is very very tricky and I don't have a script that could do that for you at the moment I'm afraid. Is it too much to ask for them to be recreated?

Cheers,
Grudge

hshan

Thanks Grudge for the reply. Bummer i guess. I could reenter events. The reason that I wanted them transferred is because most were entered by my Mom. I'm running a family site of which my Mom was a very active member. She had taken time to put all of my family's friends and relatives important dates for all to access and it was a very nice feature on the board. Unfortunately she died this past December. I wanted to keep her entries and her avatar associated with the events in a way to keep her presence on the board. It is pretty special to me. Thanks again Grudge.

Grudge

Well. There may be ways around it. For example, I could convert all "events" to be "holidays" in SMF. That would make them appear at the same time every year - is that something like that you mean?

Normally I consider "events" to be one off things (i.e a meeting on the 7th August). If it's other stuff that reoccurs they could be added as holidays (like Christmas etc). I'd be able to write a conversion script for you to convert that over but it wouldn't relate to a member. Alternatively you could convert them as events and make fake posts to attach them to, but as I said they only last on a specific date in a specific year.

hshan

Grudge, they are reoccuring events and could be classified as holidays so a script as such would work great. It would have been nice having them associated with her, but it would be hokey i think if i were to "fake" enter them again under her name if you know what i mean. If you want to give it a try it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your reply and help.

Grudge

Well - the problem is if they are re-occuring they would have to be a "holiday" and that makes it impossible to associate them with someone. The alternative approach - to make it an event - requires every event to be linked to a different post which means a lot of empty topics. Maybe you could "play" with the calendar and see how you would like to have them displayed. It should be possible for me to write a conversion script for it if you can find a way you'd like them shown.

hshan

Grudge, I guess that I'd be happy just to have the data converted over as "holidays" so that they repeat every year and there aren't "empty" posts associated with them.  This would be the easiest I would think. What do you think?

Thanks

Grudge

I can have a go at doing this for you tomorrow. Please bear with me though as I am very busy at work at the moment. I've been working a Saturday today :o

Grudge

Here. Try this out - works exactly same way as converter. Bear in mind this "may" not be what you want! Let me know what you think. It will add *every* event as a holiday (only saves the title) - so bear this in mind! If it's not what you want you can restore your holidays by running the sql queries in smf-1.0.sql that comes with the full install package.

hshan

Thank you Grudge for your for your kind efforts. It looked like upon running the script that it needed to be uploaded into the IPB root. I tried that and I got these errors:

:Converting...
Converting holidays...
Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/summer/public_html/forums/holiday_script.php on line 241

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/summer/public_html/forums/holiday_script.php on line 253
successful.
successful.
Conversion Complete"

Then I tried putting the script into the smf root and running it again... adjusting the paths in the gui for smf and ipb with the same error results. Nothing was changed on either board on either attempt. I really appreciate your help especially with your busy schedule!

Grudge

OK. It should go in SMF directory though I don't think it matters. Can you try the one attached?

hshan

Thanks Grudge. I've tried the newest script. Although no errors reported... (it shows... Got one, Got one... Got one.... etc.... Success!), there are no "holiday events added to the smf calendar. I've checked different years, refreshed etc. , but can find no added data. I've yet to check out the msql db to see if it is in there. Any ideas? Thanks

Grudge

Whoops - another typo. Please try this one!

The "got one" was just debugging... at least we know it's finding the data - this should add it now!

hshan

This one worked Grudge, however, it applied the dates on the year that the entry was made. For instance if a "holiday" was entered in `03... it showed up in `03, but not in `04 and subsequent years. Sorry I didn't get right back to you.. I was away.

Advertisement: