News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 1.0 Beta 6 Released to Charter Members

Started by David, June 15, 2004, 01:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel D.

Quote from: Rafon on June 27, 2004, 02:33:55 AM
off topic: Hey guys, is there gonna be a Russian version of SMF ? That's the only thing I really need... :o
Please search the forum here. There are enough topics aboput other languages files.

Burpee

*cough*

I know this is an annoying question...

*cough*

I read somewhere SMF's RC was going to be released in July... Is this true?

My phpBB forum crashed completely last friday and I'm thinking this might be a good point to switch to SMF. I just don't feel like giving them an only half-completed piece of software like beta 5 and I'm hosting the site for somebody else so I'm not about to pay $50 for a charter membership for somebody elses site.

So.. if I could install the SMF beta 5 right now and know that in only a few weeks the Release Candidate will be released this would certainly help me quite a bit in solving my current (horrible) situation. I don't even need an exact date... just a good guess telling me what to expect... :D

Ben_S

There is nothing wrong with beta5 to my recollection, certainly nothing your users would complain about.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Rafon

Quote from: Daniel D. on June 27, 2004, 03:40:13 AM
Quote from: Rafon on June 27, 2004, 02:33:55 AM
off topic: Hey guys, is there gonna be a Russian version of SMF ? That's the only thing I really need... :o
Please search the forum here. There are enough topics aboput other languages files.
Yes or No answer would work better for me, bro...
ThanX anyway, I'll look up
For MathA Russia :)

Ben_S

If someone translates it yes, if not no, I've no idea whether anyone is working on translating it though, of course, if noone is, you could always offer.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Rafon

Quote from: Ben_S on June 27, 2004, 04:12:27 PM
If someone translates it yes, if not no, I've no idea whether anyone is working on translating it though, of course, if noone is, you could always offer.
I've seen that omebody's working on it...well...I could translate too...well..I won't post anything else in this topic, cuz it's about Beta 6...ThanX alot for your cooperation, man
For MathA Russia :)

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Burpee on June 27, 2004, 03:37:47 PM
*cough*

I know this is an annoying question...

*cough*

I read somewhere SMF's RC was going to be released in July... Is this true?

My phpBB forum crashed completely last friday and I'm thinking this might be a good point to switch to SMF. I just don't feel like giving them an only half-completed piece of software like beta 5 and I'm hosting the site for somebody else so I'm not about to pay $50 for a charter membership for somebody elses site.

So.. if I could install the SMF beta 5 right now and know that in only a few weeks the Release Candidate will be released this would certainly help me quite a bit in solving my current (horrible) situation. I don't even need an exact date... just a good guess telling me what to expect... :D

Nobody knows when RC1 will be out. It might be July, but it could also be August or (hopefully not) even September before RC1 is out. It depends on a lot of things - how many bugs are found, what features the devs decide to implement, how much time the devs have to fix the bugs that have been found, etc. Please be patient. RC1 will be out when it's ready and not a day sooner.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Burpee

Thanks for the response. I'll decide on wether or not to install SMF next wednesday when I'm done with school. This phpBB issue is giving me the worst headache ever...
I'm not a newb, but when I have a subdomain forum.domain.com that is linking to a forum in domain.com/forum/, and they are actually two completely different forums while the one in the subdomain is apparently deattached from the mySQL database on my server but is still completely functional but to only 50% of my visitors... well when that happens I begin to start wondering if this is not all just a bad dream...

*pinches self*
grr... apparently I'm still awake...  :'(

Jazhawk

IMHO, maybe folks will still be interested in SMF by September, maybe they won't.  The developers already know this fact.  The developers won't release it until they feel it's ready for release. Period. 

I don't get why all the whinning about when SMF is coming out and why you guys can't seem to understand the language anymore. 

It will be out when it's released. 

I also have it on good authority that they plan a big splash with beer and hot wings and we are all invited.

Ok, I made up the last part but when it's released, Im having beer and hot wings!  ;)

-Jazhawk

boogiedown

This whole topic is stupid, besides the first comment. get over it.

Daniel D.

Quote from: stevebor1 on June 29, 2004, 05:41:46 PM
Muhahahaha!!!

Fizzy

Quote from: stevebor1 on June 29, 2004, 05:41:46 PM

Yeah right  :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Snuffy

SHhhhhh!
Don't let this out friends I did something just now and found out the answer that we all have been looking for!

Instead of clicking on page 5 of this thread I clicked on page 1 and found the answer that has been looked for by almost all posts on most of page 1 and all of page 2 - 5 in this thread.

If you want to find out the secret of when "Release Candidate", will be released,
don't tell anyone where you got this information, and don't let anyone see you click on the little #1 above to go look at page "ONE" of this thread.

Then sneak a peek at the top post in the thread and find your answer there in paragraph 1 of the post.

Snuffy the Sniffer of Supper Secret Stuff !

P.S.

OR just read this Quote! . . . . . . . . . .    :P

QuoteWe are proud to announce the release of SMF 1.0 Beta 6 to Charter Members this past weekend.  This will be the last release before the upcoming first Release Candidate.  We will not however be releasing this beta beyond our group of Charter Members.  We'd like to once again thank everyone who has helped SMF from its conception to the point it is at today and we look forward to providing you an extremely stable Final release.

Thank you for your support,
The Simple Machines Team

There! now I am going to go play some Golf while I wait for the release . . . .   ;)

Fizzy

Referring back to my original post ....

Quote from: Fizzy on June 25, 2004, 06:31:27 AM
The Beta 6 version has been with the Charter Members for a couple of weeks now, I was just wondering how things are going with the testing?
I appreciate that specifics probably get discussed in depth in the Charter Members own board but I was just curious if there's any general feedback as we don't seem to be seeing many bug reports for this site (running 6) ... and that's a good sign, right?

I have been keeping a close eye on the "Site Bug Reports" section and judging by the lack of reported bugs for Beta 6 on this site it looks like it must be pretty stable

Way to go Dev Team  :D  That's really encouraging to see :)

Overseer

^ uh thats because they're in the charter member support forums ;)

Fizzy

What I mean is that simplmachines.org is currently running Beta 6 so in a way we are testing the front end of it right here and now. If we aren't seeing front end bugs that's good, yes?
Hopefully the same can be said for the back-end for the Charter guys ;D
It's just my way of giving a bit if encouragement to the Dev team  :D

treo

By now we are allready testing beta 6+ here ;)

fastforum

Hey SMF team...can you beat IPB 2.0 in speed and features...please ...thanks

i am now using SMF....

Grudge

We'll... we're not going to have as many features as IPB for a long time - if not ever. Mainly because it's bloated to the top with stuff you will most likely never need. Speed we should be able to do though. :D
I'm only a half geek really...

Oldiesmann

Quote from: fastforum on July 04, 2004, 02:13:24 PM
Hey SMF team...can you beat IPB 2.0 in speed and features...please ...thanks

i am now using SMF....

Grudge is right. IPB appears to be promoting themselves as a "professional" system now, and the latest PDR (Public Development Release) shows this. It is bogged down with all kinds of useless "advanced" features such as the ability to run MySQL queries from the admin center (not a good idea - this could be abused easily), export emoticon sets (why is this useful), and all kinds of other stuff. I figured out that it includes a total of 215 different settings options, and also includes the ability to add even more settings options. So, while SMF may never match IPB 2.0 in terms of features, it will always be better because it doesn't include a ton of stuff that you don't need.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: