SMF 1.0 Beta 6 Released to Charter Members

Started by David, June 15, 2004, 01:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

We are proud to announce the release of SMF 1.0 Beta 6 to Charter Members this past weekend.  This will be the last release before the upcoming first Release Candidate.  We will not however be releasing this beta beyond our group of Charter Members.  We'd like to once again thank everyone who has helped SMF from its conception to the point it is at today and we look forward to providing you an extremely stable Final release.

Some of the major changes made in this release are:
-  New smiley manager interface, including an easier admin interface and the option of adding a popup window.
-  Cleaner admin interface with easy links to the most used areas.
-  Search has been optimized for faster performance and many new options added to the admin interface for it.
-  It is possible to set default theme settings for all users, and to force settings on members.
-  Addition of database sessions to enable the forum to work correctly on poorly configured servers.
-  Several new options added to the member's "look and layout" section of the profile.
-  When posting a message, any errors generated will not result in the post being lost.
-  The post screen will now warn you if new replies were added whilst making your post.
-  Many package manager improvements. (it almost works properly now!)
-  It is now possible to add as many options to a poll as you wish with javascript.
-  You can limit the amount of attachments that can be added to a post.
-  People can register with a wider variety of characters in there name, plus more internationalization.

Thank you for your support,
The Simple Machines Team
This space for rent.

dracomiconia

Next month will it be public???? It's my holidays month, and I could work on it.... :P

Enc0der

nope.. but maybe we'll get the Final release...  :P

ub|k

Bobby

Paul

Quote from: David on June 15, 2004, 01:13:33 AM
We will not however be releasing this beta beyond our group of Charter Members. 

Thank you for your support,
The Simple Machines Team
Last time I checked, SMF was free.. Or is it going to be paid?

Grudge

It is free!

Beta 6 is just that, a beta. We don't necessarily make all the betas open betas, as it is actually a lot more work supporting a new beta installed by thousands as opposed to hundreds. Once any bugs in Beta 6 have been fixed we will start working towards getting the RC finished, and it is then that everyone will be able to download it. Everyone will get SMF for free - just some have to wait a little longer!

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

David

Quote from: Grudge on June 15, 2004, 09:50:04 AM
It is free!

Beta 6 is just that, a beta. We don't necessarily make all the betas open betas, as it is actually a lot more work supporting a new beta installed by thousands as opposed to hundreds. Once any bugs in Beta 6 have been fixed we will start working towards getting the RC finished, and it is then that everyone will be able to download it. Everyone will get SMF for free - just some have to wait a little longer!

Grudge
Well said.  This is how the Charter Membership program has worked since the beginning of the project where they had access to betas before the first ever public beta.  Beta 6 is not a critical release, but more of a point between beta 5 and RC 1.  Instead of testing all of the new features with thousands of members at once, we decided to test it with a few hundred instead.
This space for rent.

Skoen

True, true, they're just trying to make the $50 the Charter Members pay to be worth it. And there's still hope to add a few features before the first RC1, and of course some extra features and snippes before the Final version is ready.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo
Retired Norwegian translator

klumy

the features sounds nice. Keep up the good work. I can't wait til the finalversion will arrive.

DeadMetal

Only for charter members, unfortunately...
I really think you guys do a great job and I would like to support SMF, but 50 bucks is a lot of money for a poor student like me  :o
25 would be great.

Skoen

50 bucks might seem much, but you get extra Beta versions, extra support, plus the possibility to get extra attention in support and installation matters. Plus the 50 bucks also pays for the bill this domain cost :P
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo
Retired Norwegian translator

Springer

Not to mention an open bar.  Unfortunately to many of the guys try to play hostess after a few drinks.  Their "experiments" in cross dressing scares me.   :-[

Fizzy

If I had the dosh I would have gone for Charter ....

Even if you consider just the extra support and direct help it would be well worth it  :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Meriadoc

just keep in mind it isn't $50/month... but just a year! That's only like $4.17/month! What are you currently paying for hosting a month guys?
:D
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

[darksteel]

Luis "[darksteel]" Alvarado.
Spanish Support
¿Qué es el repair_settings?
No doy soporte por PM, publica tu duda en el foro y tendras respuestas mas rapidas.
My forum:
www.caamboard.com

A.M.A

Quote from: David on June 15, 2004, 01:13:33 AM
-  Search has been optimized for faster performance and many new options added to the admin interface for it.
-  People can register with a wider variety of characters in there name, plus more internationalization.
Sounds great .. good job.

- Search function returns Unicode numbers rather than text in searching for none English Alphabet
- Cannot register using none English alphabet

I suppose this site uses the same or greater version , hope that is only a theme problem!
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

[Unknown]

Remember that you must be using a proper character set to register with, for example, Arabic characters.

-[Unknown]

A.M.A

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 15, 2004, 07:51:05 PM
Remember that you must be using a proper character set to register with, for example, Arabic characters.

-[Unknown]
Great :) as I hoped a theme preference.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

ROGUE-Master

Advertisement: