News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.0 Beta 6 Released to Charter Members

Started by David, June 15, 2004, 01:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbyard

Quote from: Meriadoc on June 15, 2004, 06:08:55 PM
just keep in mind it isn't $50/month... but just a year! That's only like $4.17/month! What are you currently paying for hosting a month guys?
:D

So, set-up a PayPal subscription @ $4.17/mo.  Larry

bri

$50 is a bargain for the power of this software, ESPECIALLY since it went to SMF. It's faster, leaner, smarter and better all around. The guys here who work on it are also very dedicated to supporting their charter members. It's a steal @ 50 bucks!

-sidenote- any changes to the index.template file in b6?? Mine is modd'd a bit, just want to see if I have to replace it! :P GREAT WORK GUYS! YOU ROX!

Bri
<*)))><

bri

nvr mind, just went to the chater group forum...
<*)))><

Cypher7

I am trying to become a charter member, but Im having trouble with my credit card...
(http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=12520.0)

I've been trying for a while now, but eventually, when I do, I'm not gonna install Beta6... I've made a lot of changes to my default theme, so installing the beta will mean making them all again.. which I don't have the time for!!!  And if I WAS to put in 6, I'd rather wait for the public release, just incase its too bugy!!  (Although the cookie issue that 6 sorts out could well change my mind!!)

I'm becoming a charter member to give something back, to be honest.

Jay K

CrazyTech

As always the new beta sounds great. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very excited about the RC coming up at some point. This software in beta is already as good as all the others are and some of them have been around for quite a while.

bri

dewd, you have NO idea how awesome it is till you get behind the wheel and divre these betas! b5 is SOLID! You wont believe how velvety smooth the interface is. My love for forum administration has been re-awoken! ALSO, whatever they are asking to become a charter member is WAY to low for this quality product, get it while you can!

Bri
<*)))><

Meriadoc

Quote from: bri on June 16, 2004, 11:12:34 PM
dewd, you have NO idea how awesome it is till you get behind the wheel and divre these betas! b5 is SOLID! You wont believe how velvety smooth the interface is. My love for forum administration has been re-awoken! ALSO, whatever they are asking to become a charter member is WAY to low for this quality product, get it while you can!

Bri
that was passionate :D
velvety, re-awoken love...
nice :)
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Skoen

Heh, but I must say, there are very few bugs I've seen in Beta 5, and the speed seems abit more smoothly than some other forum software. Seems like my server and SMF have been optimized to work together. So I'd say that to release a RC now in July it's good. Cause it has taken 11 months then since the project started as actually YaBBSE 1.6.0, but got developed into a new forum. I just installed Invision 2.0.0 RD5 for a user, and I must say that software contain tooooooooooo many options in the admin panel, and they still use frames. SMF uses a sleak table interface that works with every resolution without having to scroll either than vertically, with Invision you have a very messy admin interface with too much information on one place and too many sections. With SMF you have a very sleak and clean admin interface, that uses the possibility to collapse instead of having to click everywhere to access...stuff :P

SMF works better than some other forum software, I'd say even a bit better than vBulletin, but, yeah, I'm biased, as I have been with the fold since YaBBSE 1.4.1 in September 2002.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo
Retired Norwegian translator

GiNi3D

SM should allow 2 ways of getting the beta 6.

1-Charter member
The Charter member pays 50$, him or her can get the beta6 plus the apparently great support, in other words as usual.

2-Donator Member
The donator member donates a minimum of 20$ USD, him or her will be allowed to get the beta 6, but no support, and definitely no whining.

Why?
Because I don't need that kind of support, I will not pay 50$ to toss it out in the sea, and I am sure that others are thinking like me.
But if you give me the reason to donate, like getting the beta 6, I certainly would send something.

You open more ways to get funds, and of course you will make more happy people.  ;D

-GiNi3D-

Tomer

Quote from: GiNi3D on June 17, 2004, 06:28:55 AM
SM should allow 2 ways of getting the beta 6.

1-Charter member
The Charter member pays 50$, him or her can get the beta6 plus the apparently great support, in other words as usual.

2-Donator Member
The donator member donates a minimum of 20$ USD, him or her will be allowed to get the beta 6, but no support, and definitely no whining.

Why?
Because I don't need that kind of support, I will not pay 50$ to toss it out in the sea, and I am sure that others are thinking like me.
But if you give me the reason to donate, like getting the beta 6, I certainly would send something.

You open more ways to get funds, and of course you will make more happy people.  ;D

-GiNi3D-

Donate
v. give, contribute

You are destroying the whole idea of donating, because you want something in return and that isin't the nature of donating.

Skoen

How about Test Member or something that pay $5 to get that closed beta version. Cause then he's paying a price to get a closed upgrade, that's originally based to the Charter Members. Like 10% of what the Charter Members are paying, to download that beta version. But the member will be on his own with installation, upgrade and stuff like that.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

Tomer

This isin't a market, the Charter program was set to give special users new beta versions so they can have it faster and they can help find new bugs by testing it.

So every support that charter members get, it helps the team find bugs and errors to fix for the next release.

Grudge

The point is - we already have more than enough beta testers in the charter members. Too many beta testers in closed testing can actually affect development in a negative way as you get duplicate bug reports, bugs that have already been fixed etc - and each time it's brought up it has to be answered. Everyone does get to see the betas when they are made public but I see no benefit in having 500+ "private" beta testers.
I'm only a half geek really...

Fizzy

I think it's worth remembering that the Dev Team are not under any obligation to make the Betas available publicly or for free, but they have done so to allow us all to get a better feel of the software and its interfaces etc.
Personally I think it is very generous of them to do that for us and I for one have no problems with waiting until the Charter Members have had a chance to test it and the Dev Team have decided the time is right to go with a release.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

GiNi3D

Quote from: Lamper
You are destroying the whole idea of donating, because you want something in return and that isin't the nature of donating.

I'm not destroying any nature of anything, it was just an idea, a thought, the word donation can be associated with any other way of thinking.

Imagine I'm not even using SMF live, I'm still in the evaluation period, I just don't mind to pay to get a taste of something new, even if at the end I chose a competitor's board, I loose money you say? No, because it was a kind of donation.
I just want the beta 6 to see what it can accomplish, and what I can do with it, and all of my mods that will come out of it, subsequently will be for the community too!

It was my attempt to get the beta 6 for a fee, but with no support, you know it's not only SMF that feels generous, clients as well! like I said, I'm still under evaluation, it's cool to know that somebody is eager to pay for an "evaluation" software,  beta on top of that, Don't you think?

Regards

[Unknown]

The difference is that SMF is free.  Period.  Simply, certain beta versions are not publicly available (eg. free) because it would take us too much time to answer questions about it.

We know there are bugs in Beta 6, and giving it to charter members is a way of finding them.  Now, we're willing to do this because with the support we give charter members we should be able to help them through any bugs and solve them.... so that they don't have to worry about it.

However, I at least am not willing to give everyone a beta that I know has bugs in it, and then say, "you're on your own."  I will not do that.  Nor will I support a beta when 3 people are reporting the same bug a day, all wanting the satisfaction of not only being answered but being told they found a new bug.... but they didn't.

Perhaps a good compromize is a demo forum.  You may see one in a little while.

-[Unknown]

Skoen

Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo

dracomiconia

I insist in the possibility of seeing some screenshots of admin site...

GiNi3D

Quote from: [Unknown]
Perhaps a good compromize is a demo forum.  You may see one in a little while.

That would be thoughtful. ;)

[edit: fixed my name ;).[/edit]

Thx.

David

Quote from: Skoen on June 17, 2004, 12:42:28 PM
A demo forum would be awesome  ;D
It is very close to being ready for everybody to play with.
This space for rent.

Advertisement: