News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Author and Stars in a theme

Started by Cerebus06, October 19, 2010, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerebus06

I've been looking for a reference and unfortunately haven't located one - so, despite my unsuccessful searches, if this has been covered before, I apologize now.

I'm creating a theme that's really little else than a slightly modified version of the SMF Default theme.  Two main things I want to edit are as follows:

The "Author" section to the left on a post.  I want to change that so that it's not so wide (currently, when looking at the page source, it states 16% width for Author, and 85% width for the post itself).  I can't locate the template file, or section in the theme template, where this section resides so I can edit that.  Where do I find this data?

Second, for the Administrators and Moderators of the board, I want to display a single graphic rather than a bunch of different colored stars.  I can't seem to locate where this is found either; where can I find this data as well?

Thanks in advance!

pbrown223

What version of SMF are you using?
In 2.0RC3, Display.template.php is the file that displays the actual posts, and index.css has styles for everything including the poster information and such.  Someone else can probably help you more with that part though.

As for the single image instead of stars, that can be done in the admin section.  Admin - Membergroups - Edit Membergroups
Put in the url for your image where it says 'Star image filename' and where it says 'Number of star images' put 1.

Cerebus06

Ok, great - thanks for the info on the images.  I never thought of that... got hung up on the coding.  :P

As for the version I'm using, it's 1.1.11.

pbrown223

Quote from: Cerebus06 on October 19, 2010, 04:20:08 PM
Ok, great - thanks for the info on the images.  I never thought of that... got hung up on the coding.  :P

As for the version I'm using, it's 1.1.11.
No problem. :)

For 1.1.11, Display.template.php is the file that shows the posts as well.  It'll be under {yourforum}/Themes/{yourtheme}/
For the default theme, the part that displays the author information is around line 260 and the part that displays the post is around 370.

Advertisement: