The status of SMF 1.1

Started by Thantos, November 16, 2006, 09:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

I know a lot of people are wondering when the final version of SMF 1.1 will come out.  Well I'm not going to tell you, mainly because I don't know.  The goal for release keeps shifting to reflect new bugs being found and also the amount of time the devs have to work on it.

On August 29th we opened up a bug tracker to help us in the bug fighting front.  Before we were posting them to multiple boards and then we'd have to go through trying to find the ones we missed and it was a royal pain.  With our new bug tracker we've got them all in one area and its a lot harder to miss or forget a bug.

Since the RC3 launch we've had quite a few bugs reported.  Some have ranged from the trivial (typo in a comment) to the utmost importance (people not being able to login with certain characters in their username).  Its our need to fix these bugs that slow down the release of the final version.  However I'm sure you can agree that it is important to fix them.

We are as anxious to release the final version as you are to have it, however we won't release a piece of software until we are confident in it's ability to preform.

hohoho

Elmacik

We are looking forward Mike.
Thanks for all your and other members of the team's effort.

By the way many members had a headache with the UTF-8 feature of the RC3,
Do you think its possibly usage mistakes or something needed to be developped more?
Home of Elmacik

SleePy

Most of us can wait for 1.1 final... ;)  its DE we are looking at now.. :D

Still think it would be a good idea to allow the public to view the bug tracker even though they couldn't add to it.. Just so people can be linked to it to let them know the devs know about the issue.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Joshua Dickerson

* groundup thinks Thantos should beta test the spell check button
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Daniel15

QuoteSome have ranged from the trivial (typo in a comment)
Ooh, I've discovered some typo's in comments, does that mean that I should report them?

And speaking of the bug tracker, can normal members post bugs to it, or only staff/charter members? I discovered the bug tracker a few hours ago, but could not figure out how to post to it :P

--

* Daniel15 agrees with groundup

Quote from: Thantos...On Augest 29th we opened up a bug tracker to help us in the bug fighing front...

Not really a spelling thing, but anyways:
QuoteWe are as anxious to release the final version as you are to have it, however we won't release a piece of software until we are confident in it's ability to preform.
It's should be its ;)

Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Compuart

Quote from: Elmacik on November 16, 2006, 09:32:11 PMBy the way many members had a headache with the UTF-8 feature of the RC3,
Do you think its possibly usage mistakes or something needed to be developped more?
Adding support for UTF-8 had a large impact on SMF. Before, SMF already supported more than 10 character sets as well as HTML entities. With the introduction of UTF-8 it needed (improved) multibyte support for all functions using and manipulating text strings.

Before the release of 1.1 RC3, most UTF-8-related bugs had already been solved thanks to the work of several internationalization testers, but a few bugs showed after release of 1.1 RC3. Among them, there was the issue with mails being sent in the improper format, login problems for usernames and passwords containing multibyte characters, and the spell checker not working properly for multibyte characters. Those issues have all been fixed now and hopefully in the final release, UTF-8 will work flawlessly.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Thantos

Quote from: SleePy on November 16, 2006, 09:41:00 PM
Most of us can wait for 1.1 final... ;)  its DE we are looking at now.. :D
Heh to be honest the Devs are looking forward to DE as well.  A lot of potential with that.

Still think it would be a good idea to allow the public to view the bug tracker even though they couldn't add to it.. Just so people can be linked to it to let them know the devs know about the issue.
It's in the works, just one of many things on the list.

Quote from: Daniel15 on November 17, 2006, 10:10:22 AM
QuoteSome have ranged from the trivial (typo in a comment)
Ooh, I've discovered some typo's in comments, does that mean that I should report them?
Sure.

And speaking of the bug tracker, can normal members post bugs to it, or only staff/charter members? I discovered the bug tracker a few hours ago, but could not figure out how to post to it :P
Team members only, though we do have plans to make it viewable to all in the future.

Oh and you can all kiss my rear over my spelling :P

Daniel15

Quote from: Thantos on November 18, 2006, 02:42:23 PM
Team members only, though we do have plans to make it viewable to all in the future.
Um... I was just viewing the bug tracker yesterday, and I could view it (it was already logged in under my name, and had the permissions of 'reporter')... But today I get a login form, and it doesn't work anymore :P
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Ben_S

You should have kept quiet then ;).
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

fmben

Quote from: Thantos on November 16, 2006, 09:18:19 PM
We are as anxious to release the final version as you are to have it, however we won't release a piece of software until we are confident in it's ability to preform.

I am sure this is why I am choosing SMF and translating for it. We have a responsible team here. I am proud of using SMF.

Advertisement: