To blog or not to blog...

Started by Grudge, November 19, 2006, 01:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Ummmm... interesting. This is my first ever blog entry in like the whole world. I'm yet to decide whether this is a good idea or not but alas it can't hurt. To be honest I'm not really sure what I am supposed to put in here - but in the interest of the public good I suppose no dirty pictures or swearing would be a start.

So - maybe for fun I'll talk about my schedule in regards to SMF. Ya see - I lead a strange SMF life. Currently I spend most of my week days away on "real" work which leaves the weekends free to develop. However - I also have to fit, you know, real life stuff like going out, playing pool, holidays etc in - so that leaves relatively little time. Luckily for me I have a fast code per minute rate so the time I do get is quite efficient - Thantos would also argue I have a high bug per code ratio too :P All in all I probably get around eight hours a week to develop for SMF - and in that time I can probably muster up maybe 1,000 lines of code - although you can't really judge progress in lines of code...

The thing that does irk me these days is I get much less time to spend with the "community" here at SM. I kinda feel like I'm a contractor as I spend all my time coding yet don't get the opportunity to interact with the people who use my work. It's a shame but I do try to pop into the forums as much as possible to check on any major bugs - and to review the current feature requests to see if there are any requests which really do stand out that we might want to implement.

On the subject of feature requests we often get people complaining that we don't listen to them - but believe me we do. The exception of any ridiculously titled requests such as "Interactive donkey shooting game" I read every suggestions - although rarely bother responding due to time constraints. The most important thing with any SMF feature is the balance between functionality, desirability and impact on SMF. About 95% of the time ideas are just not practical to implement - we don't want SMF to end up as some horrendous beast that plods along at two miles an hour. However - if things come up which seem truly worthwhile then they will make it into SMF. The amount of things that went into 1.1 as a direct result of requests are probably too numerous to list but certainly include things like holiday editing, attachment thumbnails, report generation, better avatar permissions, personal message capacity bar etc...

Right - better not write anymore as otherwise I'll have nothing to write next time - if there is a next time...
I'm only a half geek really...

Trekkie101

The best bloggers hate blogging, remains true :)

Thantos

Thantos would also argue I have a high bug per code ratio too
The worse on the Sunday ones ;)

doctoreast

Hi,

Blogs are a very attractive site tool,
build membership, traffic, keep people coming
back.  Can someone please take-over and
update the SMF Simple Blog, or add the feature
permenantly to smf member profiles?  It's dead in
the water, both here and at smfhacks. 

I just upgraded to SMF 1.1.2 and it wont accept
the old old version anymore.  Any advice?

Thanks in Advance,
East

H

Quote from: doctoreast on February 25, 2007, 05:37:30 AM
Hi,

Blogs are a very attractive site tool,
build membership, traffic, keep people coming
back.  Can someone please take-over and
update the SMF Simple Blog, or add the feature
permenantly to smf member profiles?  It's dead in
the water, both here and at smfhacks. 

I just upgraded to SMF 1.1.2 and it wont accept
the old old version anymore.  Any advice?

Thanks in Advance,
East

See http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=126871.0
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: