News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

PM outbox/sent like phpbb

Started by gabro, November 21, 2006, 10:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabro

Hi people,
I just migrated and old phpbb forum to SMF 1.1RC3.
Users are happy with the new look&feel and appreciating the overall improvements :)
Only one feature is missing from phpbb and evaluated as "important": the use of PMs.
Quick reminder: in phpbb when you send a PM, this goes in "outbox" folder. When the recipient reads it, it goes into "sent" folder, so you can tell if the recipient has read or not your message yet.

Any plans for future releases ?

Thanks,
  Gabriele

Thantos

This is something we are still debating about.  We haven't been able to come to an agreement concerning wether or not the sender should automatically be notified if the recipient has read the PM.

I don't think seperate labels is something we'd do but some other method of letting the sender know about the read status.

So its something we are considering but we just haven't decided exactly what we want to do with it.

gabro

Thantos,
if it's in the debate, what I can do is just adding my opinion.
- In admin backend this should be an option like "enable "PM has been read"" functionality, so privacy problems is a choice of the forum owner.
- between "message has been read" icon in the message in outbox, phpbb style, and return receipts I definetly prefer the first. The two folders like phpbb is still ok. Return receipts will mess up lazy user's inbox, so this is not the way to go (in my opinion).

Thanks,
Gabriele

Spiros-

Quote from: Thantos on November 21, 2006, 12:12:59 PM
So its something we are considering but we just haven't decided exactly what we want to do with it.

Actually having another folder for read PMs is not a good idea. Some sort of notification (popup; javascript message; flag on the PM;) would be better.

NEMINI

do it like vB ... give the sender the option to request a 'read receipt' and the recipient has the option to block whether that read receipt is sent or not.
signatures are boring.

Lamonster

Sorry but I just found this post after I made the same request. I would realllly like a sent box and the ability to see if my message got sent and read by the user. Just make it a feature you could turn on or off if people don't want that. I run about 10 major boards right now and 3 are SMF and the others are phpBB and I got to say that is the only thing I miss about phpBB, SMF is the best except for that.

Advertisement: