So how long before someone writes this global user database mod?

Started by Cccddd, June 21, 2004, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cccddd

I think this would be rather interesting for people who run large scale sites, like James Woodcocks site. Keeps people from having to register on yet another site just to use the message board or download files...

Anyways it's not even close to done yet but it's got enough done that at least looking at trying to tie it together would work, and it would probably take long enough to make a mod out of it that by the time it was done, the mod would be done too.

I would write this mod myself but I'm too busy at work for the next couple of months, but I would LOVE to see this mod actually be used.

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/06/21/0132239.shtml?tid=126&tid=158&tid=95&tid=99

'Open MS Passport': MyUID Goes Beta

Posted by timothy on Monday June 21, @02:12AM
from the free-alternatives dept.
mastergoon writes "MyUID, which has been refered to as an "open MS Passport", has opened their doors to public beta testing. MyUID is a user database system, with the purpose of allowing virtually anyone to refer to its records using only HTTP or HTTPS. Many companies have unified login systems, like Yahoo! and Microsoft, but unlike MyUID, these databases cannot be put to use by any site. As of now there is an alpha release PHP4 connectivity API, which while not feature rich is in full working order. APIs should be available in your favourite language soon. You can view this example of a site remotely connecting to MyUID using the alpha API, and give a go at spoofing a login. They want the security of the login methods tested extensively before going production."

Cccddd

also if they allow for admins to run their own user database, then what could happen is something like everyone who uses an SMF board would have a login on every message board they visit. The admins of individual websites could do something like these options:

- allow all smf members immediate login access
- require smf member to activate their account on your board first
- require activation request sent to admin

you could still have local tables for users, but basic things like email, names, passwords, instant message info, etc could be stored in the global smf user database. keeps things more secure and easier to migrate from one message board to another, or from an old version to a new one (like when coming from YaBBSE to SMF...)

Cccddd

hmm another thought... sorry there's just a lot of possibilities with this mod...

anyways so after thinking about some of the more annoying members of sites, it would be interesting if there were something like a global karma level, where only users with certain karma would be able to access things on your site. Imagine post groups only its way more in depth. if i got banned on like 3 smf sites, then if i went to some other members site and tried posting, it would either send a mod an email saying "watch this guy" or it would just outright take away posting rights or viewing rights.

there could be global blacklists, where if the individual admins of sites subscribed to this blacklist, then "marked" database users would be denied from all smf sites. people such as hackers, or harassers, etc.

Advertisement: