News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Other" Poll Option - User fills in their choice

Started by Oldiesmann, June 22, 2004, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

I think this would be a nice option to have. Currently there is no way for users to add their own alternate choice for polls. You can have a bunch of choices and then "other (please post)" or something, but the user can't really vote for something besides "other". I was thinking it would be nice to have the ability to allow a user to add their own choice to the poll by voting for "other". When they clicked the checkbox or radio button next to the "Other" option, a textbox would appear next to it and the user could enter and vote for whatever they wanted. This option would be added to the existing poll choices and other users could vote for it as well.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

GiNi3D

Quote from: Oldiesmann...it would be nice to have the ability to allow a user to add their own choice to the poll by voting for "other"...

The only negative thing I see about it, is that if your forum is big, and you have about 50 people adding 50 different choices, it would turn into a very long list. Thought a very cool list!
Anyway, if this option would be there, I would use it on my forum.

nave

i really like this if there is the ability for the admin to set a limit to how many options can be in a poll

robo47

think it is a good ide, because often you dont think for every choice or don't wnat to first make a topic to collect all possibilitys. combiend with the possibility to vote for more than one thing that's a great feature

Cypher7

Hmmm, at first when I read the idea I thought it would be a great... but then I thought about it some more...!

Usually in a poll, all the main options are there, and the "other" option is for those 1 or 2 people who want to choose something that no one else considers...   Therefor you will only be adding 1 or 2 more options to the poll, which will probably have 1 vote each... I dont think that warrants creating a new option, just for one vote. Thats why it's usually "Other, post below".

Ok then, what if you have many different people wanting other options... lets say we have 10 more voters, each creating their own option. That would bring the total upto about 20 for example. You are then looking at ten options with about one vote each. Which would make for a very unproductive and 'wide open' poll.

The idea of restricting the max additional options is good, but what if it reaches its limit of an extra 20 (for example!), and you get one more guy wanting a different option. Then you're back to square one... and he can't vote due to there being no 'other' option.

OK, I have thought about this too much!! It is a good idea, I'm just saying that I wouldn't use it IMO, for those reasons above!

mcdougrs

I can definately see this as a MOD though. I'm with you Cypher7 I wouldn't use it because the polls could get out of control and off topic etc etc but I do see how other people would like it.

Advertisement: