News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmvasco

feeble, as you can see, there is a lot of interest in this mod.
I really really want it as well.
I know that you have other things to attend to right now, but I just wanted to show you that I too want this chess mod going.
I think you could also ask us for any help you might need. Like for tiles, or other graphic/sound work. I know I can help in this department.

As for the programming, alas, I can't help you there.

Also, regarding those features you were asking about, I'll list mine in order of preference:

Important:
playable game with the correct rules
easy language translations
recorded results
drag and drop

Somewhat important:
tournaments/championships/team play
game invite/accept

Not important, but would be nice:
sound notification of adversary's move/win/lose/start game
recorded games (history of moves)
other rules (10x10 squares/ time limit/ 4 player chess/ all queens and 2 kings boards, etc...)

Don't even bother programing that hard stuff like other rules, but you could develop the mod in a way that it will become possible later on to do it. I think this mod will have it's own mods.

We'll be waiting to hear from you :)

feeble

Quote from: gmvasco on May 30, 2007, 07:17:04 AM
We'll be waiting to hear from you :)

thanks for your post.

I wont promise anything, but ill try and get something out so that you can at least see if this mod is all thats its cracked up to be. Give me about 3 days, give or take.

feeble

ok, before you Download this package, please note its just a proposal.

Nothing flash. You can challenge and play a game of chess against someone.

its mostly to see if this is any good has a method of playing chess and also if this project is a good idea or not. mostly.

Package is for 1.1.2, i would probably recommend installing on a temp forum, since its not really designed for public use.

Download here
Preview Here

Please let me know what you think so far

franklinrony

thanks i test this beta in localhost
http://twitter.com/franklinrony

Entra y aprende a ser un webmaster
www.sv-blog.com
--Si pides ayuda al menos agradece el soporte recibido----

feeble

So, is this a viable way of playing Chess?

gmvasco

I currently don't have my test forum up because I was trying some amateur coding in it and I totally killed it. I am trying to solve the problem (just to learn som more). By the end of this week I will have a working test forum (maybe a new one if I can't fix the problem). Doesn't matter anyway.

Meanwhile I went to the preview forum to start a game with you. Thanks for getting this show back on the road :)

feeble

Im pretty close to submitting this mod to SMF, other then a few layout changes, a more complete "My Page" and a few other tweaks here and there, and also getting it xhtml compliant.

Since last version i posted, its changed dramatically
more refined and looks a whole lot better
no real changelog sorry other then an obscene amount of time spent of a colourPicker :)

Package is for 1.1.2.
If you installed the last package, you will need to uninstall that before going ahead with this version, I've kept the packages the same and version as well, to keep you from doing this.

Download here
Preview Here

Please let me know if you have any suggestions

PLAYBOY

you are the mannnnn!

thank you very very very much!

now i have some questions,

1- how can i apply it to another theme? for example http://demo.padexx.de/

2- this mod works only when my forum is in english. it doesnt appear in turkish.There is only a blank on upper panel

Note: turkish smf users are most active users on SIMPLEMACHINE.ORG

3- is there any kinda security bug?

Thank you again.

PLAYBOY

By the way, how the hack am i gonna play this? I press on challange and invite another person (fake member which is me again) but it just stays there and there is no move or start option. how am i gonna start playing? it is something about the write permissions of ftp? please help me about it...

PLAYBOY

well i guess you are not able to play yet. this is only a picture preview or something. cause i tried everything and couldnt start a game.

if we are not able to play yet, how we r gonna test this???

i wouldnt install it if i knew i wasnt able to play :(

feeble

Quote from: PLAYBOY on June 08, 2007, 01:47:35 PM
1- how can i apply it to another theme? for example http://demo.padexx.de/

it will take a bit to apply it to another theme
ill be adding a custom bar theme, so that all you need to change is
customChess.template.php file
index.template.php

2- this mod works only when my forum is in english. it doesnt appear in turkish.There is only a blank on upper panel
this mod well, is still in english, ill need to translate it first into other language for it to appear in other languages
im just focusing on getting this done, and also getting SMFChess accepted as an SMF mod.
After that ill release other languages

i did not know turkish users were the most active

3- is there any kinda security bug?
what sort of security bug. i think ive complied with all SMF mod guidelines, but i wont fully know till I submit

well i guess you are not able to play yet. this is only a picture preview or something. cause i tried everything and couldnt start a game.

if we are not able to play yet, how we r gonna test this???

i wouldnt install it if i knew i wasnt able to play :(

umm preview?

ahh i know whats going on, im a slight idiot in this regards

i was rewriting parts the challenge code, and decided that white should be the challenge user not the challenger.
in doing this, i also have it so no new challenged games show up in the "Current" area, untill the first move has been made.

ive made a quick edit so it should be right now to challenge
i revert it back later, once personal messages are being sent and "My Page" is up and running

Download here
Preview Here

KGIII

Heh. You included (first thing I've checked) En Passant. I'm assuming you've then done the castling properly. Dynamic updates and notification of challenges. ;) Those two features are some that I would REALLY like to see.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

feeble

Quote from: KGIII on June 08, 2007, 06:05:40 PM
Heh. You included (first thing I've checked) En Passant. I'm assuming you've then done the castling properly. Dynamic updates and notification of challenges. ;) Those two features are some that I would REALLY like to see.

To be honest, i didnt write the Chess Functions.
Im just using a free chess function library that ive modified.

And yes castling does work, ill be including a notification to let you know if you can perform it or not.

Ill be doing notifications of challenges and move updates by PM

What do you mean by "Dynamic updates"?

KGIII

Dynamic meaning that when one person makes a move that the move is shown "instantly" on the other person's screen.

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

PLAYBOY

Quote from: KGIII on June 08, 2007, 06:58:20 PM
Dynamic meaning that when one person makes a move that the move is shown "instantly" on the other person's screen.

This sound really good. And this is what we need.

feeble

Quote from: KGIII on June 08, 2007, 06:58:20 PM

I don't want to close the door on this, but the short answer is "Not at this point in time"

Ill more then likely look it to it, once I've got this mod to a certain point, as I've been looking for a project to use Ajax in.

PLAYBOY

well if there wont be dynamic updates then we need to refresh the page all the time. and i think that sucks. how we gonna know if the person has quit the game or moved something or still thinkin?

also how can we delete the current games? do we have to finish the game to get it deleted from the db?

feeble

Quote from: PLAYBOY on June 09, 2007, 11:53:23 AM
well if there wont be dynamic updates then we need to refresh the page all the time. and i think that sucks. how we gonna know if the person has quit the game or moved something or still thinkin?

also how can we delete the current games? do we have to finish the game to get it deleted from the db?

Initially(and still is) this mod was so that a couple of my mates and I could have a game of chess over a period of weeks. Averaging maybe one or two moves per day.
And atm it does exactly that, its almost perfect for what I want it for.

Now in saying this thou, I know what changes I need to make to get dynamic updates, but I going to put it off, until visually I have SMFChess looking good which is mostly all that needs to be completed.

Quotealso how can we delete the current games? do we have to finish the game to get it deleted from the db?
I need to add that to.

KGIII

I think I like it, as it is, already... In other words - it needs a bit of polishing up but, really, it's fantastic. I'd watched and watched and watched this thread until I finally saw the last version and opted to test it locally and then on a real server. I'm impressed and want to say congratulation. If you should ever need assistance with hosting it during the beta (should it catch on and start eating your bandwidth) let me know.

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

feeble

Quote from: KGIII on June 09, 2007, 10:52:03 PM
I think I like it, as it is, already... In other words - it needs a bit of polishing up but, really, it's fantastic. I'd watched and watched and watched this thread until I finally saw the last version and opted to test it locally and then on a real server. I'm impressed and want to say congratulation. If you should ever need assistance with hosting it during the beta (should it catch on and start eating your bandwidth) let me know.

Thanks, its appreciated.
I should be right bandwidth wise, but thanks for the offer

At the end of the day, ill eventually tackle "Dynamic Updating", but I haven't got the basics completed yet.

Package is for 1.1.2.
If you installed the last package, you will need to uninstall that before going ahead with this version, I've kept the packages the same and version as well, to keep you from doing this.
Download here
Preview Here

Quick Change Log:
-Should now be valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
-"My Page" is taking shape, still havent worked out what to do with all the white space, itll get there in the end. Javascript is required to Accept Challenges, but ill be fixing this in the future.
-Chess admins can now delete boards. I haven't worked out a good way for 2 users to agree on deleting a board yet, so its not final
-Trialing CustomBar : not sure if its a good idea or not, still working it through, but essentially the idea is that you can have different menu bars for each of your themes, by just coping ChessCustom.template.php to each of your sites themes. Since there is no patches atm, i wouldnt edit the one in themes/default, but if you are interested, just copy ChessCustom.template.php to your sites theme and edit it there. I wont be changing the file at all, other then the comments at the top.

Advertisement: