News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weightman

Lord Anubis, yea I understand. Thanks a lot.

Gargoyle

Feeble I downloaded and installed this game on the 10th or so. I see an update on the 11th you posted. What do I need to do to my install to get it up to date with your latest release ?

Thanks so much for this fantastic addition! It is very nice!

Paracelsus

Quote from: Gargoyle on February 15, 2008, 09:36:34 AM<br />Feeble I downloaded and installed this game on the 10th or so. I see an update on the 11th you posted. What do I need to do to my install to get it up to date with your latest release ?<br /><br />Thanks so much for this fantastic addition! It is very nice!<br />

Do like this:
- Install WinMerge;
- Open it and put side by side your 2 chess directory versions (unpack them first to its own dir, of course)
- Check which files are identical and which are not or that don't exist in the previous version.
- Open the unidentical files one by one and WinMerge will compare them instantly showing exactly what is different. Have a Notepad++ or some PHP editor with you and edit the lines that need to be added, erased, moved, etc in the previous version file and upload them if you don't edit directly from server (if you upload them, do it to the right directory!... templates usually go to theme directories and non-templates go to sources directory).
- If installscript.php is different, upload the new one to the forum root and execute it (just put that url on the browser http....../installscript.php.
- EDIT: Forgot this, if the install xml is different you have to compare both and see which files you have to change (files that are usually already part of SMF core)
- The end ;).

weightman

Feeble, I found a bug/change needed. If you have the "Allow SMF Chess to send you move and challenge updates" unchecked, then you won't receive requests for undos or draws. It might be good to have the option for move updates separate from the other notifications. I turned off the move updates because they are so frequent that they get extremely annoying....

Thanks

feeble

Quote from: Gargoyle on February 15, 2008, 09:36:34 AM
Feeble I downloaded and installed this game on the 10th or so. I see an update on the 11th you posted. What do I need to do to my install to get it up to date with your latest release ?

Thanks so much for this fantastic addition! It is very nice!

Umm, you can do what Paracelsus recommends, which is pretty effective.
Actually I've been looking for that program, just forgot what it was called

or you could simply uninstall the old version. then reupload the new version.

or
just unzip chess.zip, and upload manually the Chess source, language and template files.
and good list of where each files goes is here
http://www.leaderless.net/PackageParser/

Quote from: weightmanFeeble, I found a bug/change needed. If you have the "Allow SMF Chess to send you move and challenge updates" unchecked, then you won't receive requests for undos or draws. It might be good to have the option for move updates separate from the other notifications. I turned off the move updates because they are so frequent that they get extremely annoying....

Thanks
I suppose, but if you are playing without the need of move updates, then would you really require undo and draw notification?
Possibly a resign notification would be suitable thou.

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Okay one last thing...

Any ideas or input in the way of calling the leaderboard info into display.template.php

I'd like to display a small graphic under the avatar of the current "chess champion".

Thanks for any help!

weightman

QuoteI suppose, but if you are playing without the need of move updates, then would you really require undo and draw notification?
Possibly a resign notification would be suitable thou.
Feeble, unless I am missing something, if you have notifications off then the undo, draw, and resign requests buttons are nearly useless since your opponent doesn't know if you have used them, doesn't know if you have requested them.

Thanks

Godsongz

Quote from: Lord Anubis on February 13, 2008, 10:31:16 PM
Been tweaking around again and came up with this

Hey Anubis,  I liked this tweak of yours, very attractive with the mini-icons.  I used it on my site for a couple of days until tonight when one of my users complained that he could no longer look up old games.  I wondered what he was talking about until I realized that with your tweak in place, using the ChessCustom.template.php, I no longer had page numbers.  I could only see the latest 20 games in current or finished, and I have nearly 200 finished games on my site now.  How would I be able to use your tweak in a ChessCustom.template.php, and still have my page numbers?

feeble

Uploaded a new version

-Added Join and Create Quickmatch options in the admin area.
-Fixed several bugs with creating quickmatches. Thank you to Assistance for finding this
--Distinction between days is now by server time rather then a full 24hrs
-Fixed several template issues in ie.
-You will get notified by pm always on everything other then a move. requested by weightman.
--This is on trial, but should be right

download link is in first post
All files Chess files have been updated, and InstallScript.php will need to be ran once if you are manually updating(or just save your Admin settings atleast once)

Quote from: Assistancereally could use the administrator to assign matches for 2 players
with this option tournaments could be rolling
This can already be done in the Admin area under Maintenance->Import

Quote from: Assistancethe [chess] bbcode to show the board
where do you find the text to put in?
idea: have a small box with generating code to show (after each move)
I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days.
Ill get back to you as I'm looking into placement or maybe in a tooltip or something.

weightman

Feeble, thanks very much for adding that. I got new errors on uninstalling the old package I was hoping you could tell me how to deal with:

1.     Execute Modification     ./index.php     Test failed

This code is not in my index.php file:
'.xml' => array('News.php', 'ShowXmlFeed'),

9.     Execute Modification     ./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php     Test failed

This one is weird because when I look in the file, the code the install is trying to install ?> is there at the end of the file so I don't know why its failing the test.

Thanks very much again for all the help and great mod.

feeble

Quote from: Godsongz on February 16, 2008, 10:46:03 PM
Quote from: Lord Anubis on February 13, 2008, 10:31:16 PM
Been tweaking around again and came up with this

Hey Anubis,  I liked this tweak of yours, very attractive with the mini-icons.  I used it on my site for a couple of days until tonight when one of my users complained that he could no longer look up old games.  I wondered what he was talking about until I realized that with your tweak in place, using the ChessCustom.template.php, I no longer had page numbers.  I could only see the latest 20 games in current or finished, and I have nearly 200 finished games on my site now.  How would I be able to use your tweak in a ChessCustom.template.php, and still have my page numbers?
Quote from: weightman on February 16, 2008, 11:36:38 PM
Feeble, thanks very much for adding that. I got new errors on uninstalling the old package I was hoping you could tell me how to deal with:

1.     Execute Modification     ./index.php     Test failed

This code is not in my index.php file:
'.xml' => array('News.php', 'ShowXmlFeed'),

9.     Execute Modification     ./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php     Test failed

This one is weird because when I look in the file, the code the install is trying to install ?> is there at the end of the file so I don't know why its failing the test.

Thanks very much again for all the help and great mod.

On uninstalling you say?

send me those to files to my email address
[email protected]

QuoteHey Anubis,  I liked this tweak of yours, very attractive with the mini-icons.  I used it on my site for a couple of days until tonight when one of my users complained that he could no longer look up old games.  I wondered what he was talking about until I realized that with your tweak in place, using the ChessCustom.template.php, I no longer had page numbers.  I could only see the latest 20 games in current or finished, and I have nearly 200 finished games on my site now.  How would I be able to use your tweak in a ChessCustom.template.php, and still have my page numbers?
find
</center>
';

replace with
</center>
'.$context['page_index'];

weightman

QuoteFeeble, I got the uninstall and install straightened out. I had installed another mod. But, I adjusted a couple settings in the chess admin, ran chess maintenance, clicked through the user chess tabs, and checked the error log and found these:

8: Undefined index: SMFChess_cquicklimit
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/smf/Themes/default/ChessAdmin.template.php
Line: 235

8: Undefined index: SMFChess_cjoinlimit
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/smf/Themes/default/ChessAdmin.template.php
Line: 228

I ran installScript.php and tested it all out and all seems fine now.

Thanks very much

weightman

Quote-You will get notified by pm always on everything other then a move. requested by weightman.--This is on trial, but should be right

I appreciate this a lot, but ideally the undo, draw, and resign requests would all happen totally inside the game board tab without having to go to a PM. Don't mean to ask for too much though- just an idea.

Thanks a lot.

Dragooon

Hey Might sound a bit stupid, but this thing got a chess engine right? Like it checks which move is legal or not. I didn't looked much onto it but it sounds very interesting.

Godsongz

Quote from: feeble on February 16, 2008, 11:39:50 PMfind
</center>
';

replace with
</center>
'.$context['page_index'];

Yep, that does it.  Thanks!

Gargoyle

Quote from: feeble on February 16, 2008, 11:13:43 PM

All files Chess files have been updated, and InstallScript.php will need to be ran once if you are manually updating(or just save your Admin settings atleast once)

Just so I am clear... I can manually update all the chess files then go to my admin settings and save them and I am done correct ?

Or are there code changes that need to be made?

Assistance

Quote from: feeble on February 16, 2008, 11:13:43 PM
Uploaded a new version

Quote from: Assistancethe [chess] bbcode to show the board
where do you find the text to put in?
idea: have a small box with generating code to show (after each move)
I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days.
Ill get back to you as I'm looking into placement or maybe in a tooltip or something.

updates are always good, ty

tool tip would be useless to copy paste into the forum

how about:
a small link on the right side of game with a pop up to copy paste the bbcode of the current board layout.

@Gargoyle
your first question is yes

tip for other SMFChess users
when ever I install a new package, I uninstall SMFChess first as it is still beta and constantly getting better with updates.  Then I install my other package then SMFChess to make sure I have no issues install/uninstall, and don't have to use FTP and manually install.
~playing poker~

feeble

Sorry for being quiet over the last couple of days, been pretty busy.

I submitted SMFChess a couple of days ago, so if all goes well, im expecting it to be approved in a couple of weeks.

Quote from: gargoyleJust so I am clear... I can manually update all the chess files then go to my admin settings and save them and I am done correct ?
Pretty much correct, you shouldnt have to change any files, just upload and replace the Chess source and template files.

Quote from: dragooonHey Might sound a bit stupid, but this thing got a chess engine right? Like it checks which move is legal or not. I didn't looked much onto it but it sounds very interesting.
Gday Dragooon, Not really a chess engine, just a legal move checker.

Quote from: weightmanI appreciate this a lot, but ideally the undo, draw, and resign requests would all happen totally inside the game board tab without having to go to a PM. Don't mean to ask for too much though- just an idea.
I'm really confused of what you are trying to say sorry. When you are viewing the board, [undo, draw, and resign] requests are displayed both under the chess board and in the log.

Quote from: gargoyleAny ideas or input in the way of calling the leaderboard info into display.template.php

I'd like to display a small graphic under the avatar of the current "chess champion".
I can't tell you how to do this at the moment, as I just want to get the mod approved before I start helping with this sort of thing.
What I'm thinking thou, is setting something up, so that you can get help with this sort of thing or find the code to do this.

Dragooon

Yeah thats what I meant, so it checks weather the move's legal or not, cool. Might give it a try later.

Advertisement: