Child Board Is Not For Children Only (like it sounds to ordinary people)

Started by CarpeDiem, June 21, 2009, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarpeDiem

I notice Tips & Tricks has NO "New Topic" access that I see, so I'm starting here.

I see the term "Child Board", and while that might make sense to techie folks like us here, it simply sounds childish, like the board is only for children.  Ordinary folk do not understand this is tech talk, so they'll apply their customary understanding to what the words imply.

Since my forum is used primarily by adults, and many of them are seniors, I'd like to change the wording of "Child Board" to something that makes sense to these adults and seniors, so they don't feel they're excluded since they are not children.

In which file might I find the text that is displayed as "Child Board" so I can rework the words displayed for my forum of adults?  I assume it'll be in Themes somewhere (and I'm using 2.0 RC1-1 with the Default theme).

Sel_888

Themes\default\languages\index.english.php

do a search for 'Child Boards' and just change the text to whatever you want.
I have it set to 'Sub Boards'
8)
I didn't get it wrong, I just found 10,000 ways it doesn't work...

LagunaChapala.com - A community site for South Shore residents

Sel_888

Oh... and forgot to mention...

That change you make in that file will also reflect on any CUSTOM theme too!!!
(unless it has its OWN language\index.english.php file)

Enjoy!  8) 8)

Arantor

If you're using 2.0, you can use the in-built Language Editor to do it - no need to edit the code :)

Sel_888

Quote from: Arantor on June 21, 2009, 02:53:00 PM
If you're using 2.0, you can use the in-built Language Editor to do it - no need to edit the code :)

SWEET!!! must go and explore...... I was not aware of that...

CarpeDiem

I looked in Configuration->Languages->Edit Languages (which sounds logically like it's close to a Language Editor), but it seems only to replace entire languages (like French, German, etc., not just words and phrases -- which would be neat!).

I'm obviously looking in the wrong place to change "Child Board" to something else easily.

I'm using 2.0 RC1-1, so I assume it should be somewhere close at hand.

Arantor

If you click on the name of the language you can edit all the strings in that language.

CarpeDiem

VERY interesting!  I had looked at Languages and English before, but would have never guessed that clicking on English would produce what it did.  I wish there had been more of a hint to help a new administrator know what was there.

Anyway, after a LOT of looking and looking, I finally found what I was seeking.  I should have tried General Category first, but I didn't.

I changed Child Boards to Related Boards.  I think my adults will understand that in context much better -- you've got to be a programmer or forum techie to understand that Child Board is not related to real human beings.  I'd call the use of the term "Child Boards" for the general public ethnocentric, except "ethno" is not the correct prefix, though "centric" is the right suffix (anyway, it's insider's talk, which I'm not sure is appropriate for the world at large).

Thanks Arantor to opening a new door to the Languages Editor (I wish it were called that) and thanks Sel_888 for your help too!

Sel_888

Anything to help!!!!
weird that I was a complete nOOb with BB's in the first place only 6 months ago!!!
Seriously... never had any type of interaction with any forums for years and years... though I was trying to teach myself PHP for the last three.

Nice to think that now all my trials and errors have given me a bit of knowledge to help others ... anything to pay it forward.

cheers!  8)

Arantor

The blessing, and curse, with computing is that it never stops. I've been coding in PHP for 6 years now and I still consider myself a learner at times.

Advertisement: