News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problems when posting in the russian section

Started by Cerberus, July 11, 2004, 11:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus

When I'm posting in the Russian langauge support section I'm encountering a weird problem (charset?) :'(.
When I preview my post (opera 7.21|win xp) all the message, composed of cyrillic letters, is displayed correctly, but when I post the message is stored as a set of question marks, therefore other members aren't able to read my message.

Any thoughts?
PS: other Russian-speaking members have managed to post their message... ::)
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

[Unknown]

Have you tried a different browser, such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla/Firefox?

I believe you can also force charsets with Opera and these other browsers; do you?  If so, to which charset... and does changing that help?

-[Unknown]

Cerberus

<html lang="en_US">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

Yes, I can force and set up a certain charset manually. Well, I've tried uft, iso-8859-1 and all the existing Russian encodings. Unknown, what do you think about creating special templates with national charsets for language specific boards?
Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

[Unknown]

That's done with language files.  Special template or themes are completely unnecessary.

Have you tried another browser?

-[Unknown]

Cerberus

тест тест тест
[testing Russian with IE6]
Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

Cerberus

Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

Oldiesmann

I see Russian... :)

FYI: If you are forced to use a different browser because of this problem (I've used Opera a few times and agree that it's nice), go with FireFox... ;)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Cerberus

???????? ?????
[testing opera ;D]

Oldiesmann, I've tried FF before, but I do prefer Opera :).
Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

Oldiesmann

That's fine. I'm just saying if you decide to change browsers due to the issue of Russian not working in Opera, then go with Firefox.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

I don't know whether Opera has good internationalization support or not... it may not.

See, Internet Explorer and Mozilla send un-entity-able characters by character code, while it seems Opera just sends ?.  I'm not sure which is correct, but this means that Opera would require (apparently, although you should be able to force your own character set, should you?) a Russian language file set installed on this forum.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: