News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

The New Mod Enhancement Taking SMF to a whole new level! Come see. BETA TEST NOW

Started by Ryan, December 14, 2006, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the Simple Instant Messenger MOD...

Awesome id use it
37 (72.5%)
Great Mod
5 (9.8%)
Not sure LOL
2 (3.9%)
Nah dont interest me
6 (11.8%)
Bad Mod
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Ryan

Simple Instant Messenger MOD!
This works on all SMF Versions below!
1.1 Beta 3 Public, 1.1 RC1, 1.1 RC2, 1.1 RC3 1.1 Final

Users Features
Basically this mod is a Client/Server Chat software that allows your users to interact with each other via:
Private PM
Chat Room's
Private Call
Private webcam conference
Male/Female gender in I'm list from Smf profiles
MemberGroup Colors in rooms
Ability to Block PM from suers not on your list
Smf Profile Viewing

Admins Features:
Admin menus are visible for forum admins when logged into chat, there are many features available...
Broadcast a message to all users currently online Via Chat Cient or server .
Disconnect users from rooms
Disconnect users form the Chat client or from the Server itself..
Ban users with a click, And its virtualy impossible to get out of.

The unique thing about this is users login with there normal details they use to login on your smf forum..
The Simple IM buddy list is interlinked with every users buddy list on your smf forum..
You can search for users on your Smf Database and add them to your list, you can even add users form the chat room  too, and pm users from the chat room!

Ok your thinking well this sounds tricky..

No it isn't! We have tested this on 10 Forums, and theres not been any problems..

It doesn't modify your existing smf MYSQL Tables...
NO SMF php files are modified..
Hehe so no install problems to worry about and you upgrade your forum to new versions of smf and i can 99% gaurante it wont interfear with the Simple IM service your offering.

Ho do i get it running then?
Simple! run the server application on your server, fill in you mysql DB details so it can access your SMF forum DB..
And click the start server button! YOUR UP AND RUNNING WITH A FULL BLOWN CHAT IM SERVICE :)

Link a download link on your forum for your Simple IM Client chat software which can be customized for you with skins and your domain name so it knows where to login.. And users can login with there names and start chatting instantly.

This post is basically to see how many people are interested in this MOD..

Please give feedback on what you think..

The server can run on any Windows OS. But there will be versions made for Linux servers too.

Server Highlights
The server Doesnt have to run on the same server as your website and or MYSQL DB!
Just let Mysql accept Remote Connections.

Screenshot:

SMF seems to cut half the sceen shot off if you wanna see it in full click link below:http://www.h2kclan.com/h2kimscreenshot.jpg

Latest from our ChangeLog.txt
LATEST UPDATED 12-12-06
& Search was mixing up users emails, thats now fixed
+ Private webcams added although still some problems needing resolved, the cams seem to work first time but then to cam again you need to re run the h2k I'm..
+ Publish private cam to users inside room by right clicking there name.
& Smileys in pm and the pm resizing was a bit iffy thats now fixed.
& Server seemed to crash when too much stuff was logged, we now have that resolved by deleting all logs on a timer so they don't build up..
+ PM RESTRICTION added You have option to Only accept PMS from people on your buddy list.
& Some optimization has been done to the client to make it run a bit better even though it did seem to be running great theres always room for improvement.

OldUPDATED 10-12-06

& Login problems solved
+ Adding users from chat room fixed
& Search has been optimized to show more than 1 result if you search A it will list all users that start with A.. And so on..
+ Now you can do actions just type /me and whatever you wish to say eg
* M3THOD slaps phantom with a smelly fish
You can try and see how hat works :p
+ The smileys are now clickable form the chat formating menu and they also have rollover images to make them look even more sexier :p
+ Chat icon has been made...
& Various Chat room program runtime crashes have been fixed...
+ On-line connection status has been added to the buddy list...
+ Clear chat room is now added
+ Admins can now broadcast a message to all on-line users..

Ryan

This post is just for feedback realy..
This isnt a available for download as of yet, we are still developing it..

At the moment its being tested by 40 of my staff...

Although i shall give a test account logins and link a download here to the im when i feel its ready for public testing.

L.G.S

FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

heartless bowser

RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Niteblade

affiliate blog

vbgamer45

Sounds pretty cool. What is it coded and will the client/server will be open to see the source code?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Ryan

Private cams Ip 2 IP Private Voice IP 2 IP
So that doesn't require any server side handling...
File transfer IP 2 IP

Its been made to use minimal CPU Ive never seen it use anything above 3% CPU in the windows process usually says 00 CPU being used.

Obviously if you wanted Voice and cam chat rooms where everyone can watch eachothers cams and talk to each other that would use more resources but all that can be switched off and on.

Loading the SMF Boardindex page on your forum Is about the the equivalent of logging on the chat 4 or 5 times..
And lets just add the chat client doesnt serve pics and html code lol. So it wont use much processes at all :)

My SMF DB is quite big we have 36,000 members and serve alota files so the server is quite busy but my dedicated server runs the chat server fine and to be honest my server isnt that great its got 1.5 gig ram and pentium 4 3.00 running windows as well as a macromedia flash server  :P

Same goes for the client people love it, most peoples comments are.. More stable than Yahoo, I wish MSN was as  fast as this lol.. Realy these honestly are real comments lmao.

Imagine the amount of text passed On a single topic load..
Basically the server only sends text about in small amounts and we have coded it well to stop any flooding of the chat rooms.

And as i say you don't even have to run the server on your web server you can run it on a different machine and set it so it can access your DB remotely..

Source code Has not been discussed and we really do need to think exactly how we are gonna be releasing this. We would like to offer users a service where we can host the voice and cam servers separately for them, with that they would also get a customized chat client too, to match there site and logos.

wing

Wow that is cool, I would assume most people are using linux servers though.  I'd love to test it.  I have a group of people on the forum that are a secret society I'm sure they would love this.

Ryan

There will deffinately be a linux version of the Server.  ;D

You see we programmed this for our own needs but with the intention we could offer this for the rest of SMF too.

But becuase we happen to be running our sites on Windows Servers at moment we decided to make it for Windows first..

We have great team here and we worked with a few developers of Paltalk.com on Banning and Security of there chat software a few yrs ago, we learnt alot from that experience.  Noticing the way chat software seem to be heading these days with lagy skins / banners/popups / and unstable clients

We thought we would bring back the not so heavy skined simple chat that does exactly what you want it to but still looks sexy!

That doesnt crash! *cough* MSN *cough* YAHOO hehe These chat programs probly use more cpu and memory than any other program on ur machine and you probly aint even chatting. Its true!

The client we have programmed uses 00 CPU usage, ya n heres the proof :)

Ryan

Ok as the first screenshot not many people online for testing this one shows the chat fully working with alot more testers online...

You can also see my server remotely with the chat server running

VIEW LARGER SCREENSHOT

Dem0n

Is there any way we could test this now, like an account somewhere?

Ryan

Ive sent you a pm with a lil test account its running off my forum..
Let me know what you think

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

KGIII

I've played with most every single chat mod available for SMF and this one looks like it will be the one I end up going with. I'm quite impressed with the layout and can't wait to take it for a test drive.

I've been looking for a good chat application that didn't make me subject the visitors to IRC, has decent management and administration controls, is feature rich, and has a decent layout. This looks like it might just do the trick - in fact if this can't then I don't know what would. ;)

(Hopefully it isn't too difficult to get working else you'll end up with a lot of support requests.)

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Dem0n

It's definitely something worth getting. I've been testing it for quite a few minutes now, and I love it. Even tho it's still a work in progress this is something that would be heaven for chat's/forums and an overall benefit to add to any website.

Gobo

BlueSteel

is't it a security risk opening up the DB to external access ??? I'm sure that i've read somewhere that this is the case...

Advertisement: