The New Mod Enhancement Taking SMF to a whole new level! Come see. BETA TEST NOW

Started by Ryan, December 14, 2006, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the Simple Instant Messenger MOD...

Awesome id use it
37 (72.5%)
Great Mod
5 (9.8%)
Not sure LOL
2 (3.9%)
Nah dont interest me
6 (11.8%)
Bad Mod
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Ryan

I'm not sure what you mean bluesteel your clearly confused so i shall do my best to explain the process..

The client does not access your DB, the client doesn't touch database at all, it ONLY communicates to the "Chat Server".

So basically the only thing that connects to your DB is the "Chat Server", the only person who can access the server is YOU...
From the server application the only security risk is that your DB info is stored on there..
There will be password security option so only people with the password can view/change the DB Settings.

This is actualy more secure than how most forums store mysql info becuase your info is just placed in a php file..
If your server has apache reinstalled without php, that php file can be downloaded, becuase without php installed apache serves it as a file.. And not just that anyone else uses uses server can open the file and read it..

So what im saying is.. Our "Chat server" is more secure than most scripts ;)

----------------------------------
Remote Mysql Connection
----------------------------------
If your talking about this, basically this means people can access your server from remote PC..
This is only risky, if you set a Mysql user password that isn't a strong strong password...
You can even completely bolt it up! And only allow a certain Hostnames to connect remotely.

So in respect its like most things in this world if you don't do it right anything can be a risk.
But it is a simple procedure. And you only need remote connection if you intend to run the "Chat Sever" on a different Server as the DB.

Hope thats solved your risky thoughts  :D

nitins60

It almost fill my needs @irchannel.... If you need a tester, just pm me.... :P

Ryan

Amicus

Sounds great!

What did you plan for the chat client?
Are there any plans releasing the client for OS other than windows?

Or "disclosing" the protocol between chat client <-> server ?

Phydeaux

I'm curious if you have bandwidth usage figures for say, 25 users participating (logged in) for an 18 hour period?

zerofill

How soon after the windows version do you intend to have a linux version available?

twostars

Nice work. Server coded in VB6, I see  :P

Can't wait to run this through with the server administrator :)

I only admin the forums >.< Got no access to the dedicated server besides FTP ::)

Daniel15

Yeah, I see you've used VB6 for the server. I hope you've used either the Winsock API or an alternate socket library, as the Winsock ActiveX control included with VB6 has a tendancy to cause memory leaks (back when I was using VB 6, I used the CSocketPlus control, found on Planet-Source-Code.com. I've since moved on to Visual Basic 2005, with its better approach to socketing :D).
Are you working on a server program for Linux?

I'd really love to see a PHP CLI chat application, that would really make me happy (but I suppose not many people use CLI chat programs any more :P)

QuoteSMF seems to cut half the sceen shot off
It's adding a scroll bar to the bottom of the post, that's all ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

KGIII

I'd absolutely love to see a PHP version. Simply saucy looking.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

fuelthescene

Is there any recent information available on this?  It looks absolutely incredible and I'd love to have it on my website.

softtouch

snakeplissken

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

I too would like to know when this is available for download.

vkot

For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

raven666

C'mon, quit teasing!  Give us a Beta version!  <<drool>>

Ryan

Beta testing is now available!
Login with any of these username/pass combinations.

user: test3
pass: test3

user: test4
pass: test4

user: test5
pass: test5

user: test6
pass: test6

Thanks alot

BETA DOWNLOAD IS BELOW JUST CLICK THE PICTURE

This is running off my forum at:
www.h2kclan.com

raven666

WooHooooo!  I just tried it out.  It's simple and straightforward, so I'm sure some of my idiot forum members won't be able to figure it out...  lol...  Runs fast, appears to have lots of room to set up what you need.

I'd like to try it out for a few weeks and see what the server load is with 20 users all the time.  So where's the line to queue up?

nitins60

forumsbg.net

When this will be a full SMF mod?
Please pm me i really want this mod :)

auspool

would you be able to run a trivia bot through this chat program???

daniel d

L.G.S

FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

Advertisement: