Upgrading software to newer version

Started by autorace, September 27, 2005, 11:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autorace

I am having trouble upgrading the software to SMF 1.1 RC1.  I currently have two forums.  One has the newer 1.1 version and the other has 1.0 beta.  I was trying to ftp the files from the site with the newer version and transfer them to the other site but I keep getting file transfer errors.  I was going to run repair_settings.php to correct the paths after that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xenovanis

Why don't you use the files from the upgradepackage and upload those to your server?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

autorace

Are you referring to this file?

smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.zip (September 21, 2005)

What is the correct way of doing this.  I downloaded it, unzipped it and then uploaded it.  Can I just upload it and unzip it there?  I appologize for not being very computer literate.

Thanks

xenovanis

Either way. You can download it, unzip it and upload all files or you can upload the zip-file and unzip it on your server. After uploading run upgrade.php.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

toph1980

Yup, thats pretty much it. All you gotta do then is just to follow the upgrade instructions which basically is just pressing 1 button :)

Oldiesmann

Here's a simple trick that should work on most servers...

Download the tar.gz version and upload it to your SMF directory.

If you've got shell access (look for "Shell Access" in CPanel), login to the shell and issue the following commands:

cd public_html/forum (pubilc_html = your main document root, /forum = location of SMF)
tar -xzvf smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz
rm smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz

If you don't have shell access, put the following in a file, save it as extractme.php (or whatever you want to call it), upload it to your SMF directory and run it:

<?php
echo shell_exec('cd public_html/forum');
echo 
shell_exec('tar -xzvf smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz);
unlink('
smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz);
?>

Just make sure that the path you specify in the cd command is the relative path to SMF from your root directory (not the full server path). If you've got Ensim, you should use var/www/html instead of public_html...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

autorace

I will be putting the smf file in the root directory, is there a way to do this without downloading it (copy & paste) and not by a redirect?  I will try the upgrade this afternoon.

Thanks

autorace

I uploaded the .gz file and added the extractme file.  I have an error when running the file.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/a/u/t/autorace1/html/smf/extractme.php on line 4

Oldiesmann

Whoops!

Find
unlink('smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz);

Replace
unlink('smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade.tar.gz');
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

autorace

Still same error after change

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/a/u/t/autorace1/html/smf/extractme.php on line 4

Advertisement: