News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Functionality requests for SSI in the next version of SMF

Started by Grudge, December 25, 2006, 04:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiphaas7

Quote from: Tippmaster on November 24, 2007, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: bpat1434 on November 24, 2007, 02:32:57 PM
Okay... but you know that using SSI.template.php you'd just be messing with the arrays in a separate file right?  I mean, look at how SMF tempalting is done.  Array manipulation and loops is all it is.  So why use 3 file (or 4 if you're calling SSI.php from another file) when you can use just 2.  SSI isn't supposed to be a part of the SMF core, just a type of API to utilize some functionality of it.  Sounds like work for no real gain to me.

Big gain. Now themes could style SSI outputs easier, people could edit them on their own easier, and it would just be better organized. You don't see any MYSQL stuff in the templates. SSI should have a source and a template file. The output (template) should be different from the page that initiates it and makes it happen (source)

I would like to see this happen as well. I tried (and succeeded) into rewriting most of the ssi functions to proper html (no tables where they should not be), but figured that everything would break as soon as an update comes out (smf 2.0 for example).

I understand that it is much easier for those not so experienced with html to just call the function, but maybe both could be an option.

haarrrgh

I would like an extended "show calendar" function for SSI.

The existing "Today's Calendar " displays something like this:

Future Birthdays: haarrrgh (27)
Future Events: Event1, Event2, Event3

I would like to have a list with dates and one event per line, like this:

2008-01-27 Event1
2008-01-28 haarrrgh's Birthday (27)
2008-02-01 Event2
2008-02-05 Event3

In addition, it should be possible to:
- choose how to order the list (by date ascending or descending)
- specify the format how the date is displayed, or display the date in the forum standard (I live in Germany, and in German the right format for the 1st of February is "01.02.2008").

青山 素子

haarrrgh, you can do most of that (except for the sorting, I believe) if you use the array output and actually do the layout of the information yourself.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

haarrrgh

Oh...ok  O:)

Sorry for spamming into this topic...I just discovered the SSI FAQ topics right now (I did a search for "ssi" at docs.simplemachines.org before but didn't find anything, that's why I posted my request here. I didn't find the FAQ in the forums until now).

I will read the FAQs and ask my questions there.

Thank you for your help!

B Patterson

mogama

Function request: Make it much easier to grant permission to a user for a specific board. For example: I search and find the user, then click in a box or link to set permission for that user for a particular board. Done!

Currently, it's taking me too long to grant access to a board to just some of my members. I did it before, then I forgot how to do it again. Can it be easier than this?

~mogama~

IchBin™

This is not a feature request topic mogama. Its a topic for possible additional features added to SSI.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

ibookdb

Quote from: user2037 on September 18, 2007, 01:05:24 PM
Registration to simplify integration with other systems. Ideally with options to disable CAPTCHA (and e-mail verification, etc.) since the integrating system may already handle verification.

Expand "ssi_login" and "ssi_logout" to include the 'array' option so that the resulting parts can be formatted or styled without capturing output and altering it.

Yes I second this. We need ssi_register and better ssi_login/logout.
Manage Your Book Collection Online at The Internet Book Database

Random Books from My Bookshelf

iBookDB

Gantry

Based on a recent set of posts that weren't answered, it would be nice to be able to control the output of the existing ssi functions so that I have the flexibility and choice of them returning:

(1) results as hyperlinks that open in current window (the default now),
(2) results as hyperlinks that open in a new window/tab, and
(3) results that display as text only, not hyperlinks.

I don't want the output of a birthday ssi to link to that forum user's profile, because users could theoretically click their way back to the forum in my Joomla iframe, which is ghastly.  I should have the simple option to choose the output.

青山 素子

You can use the information however you want, just switch off the default echo mode and build your own layout with the information. It takes a bit more PHP understanding, but gives you huge flexibility.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

reanimationxp

I'd like to see additional information included in any function that pulls a post.

boardNews() currently does not pull "last edited" and other information when returning the post array. Any info such as dates and times, as well as links like replying to the topic should all be included.

Also, I agree with other users in that anything using a form (logging in, replying to a topic, etc.) should be able to be done via an SSI function. Basically any information the database stores should be able to be pulled via a function, which makes this idea sound more and more like an API.

Bottom line, I should be able to create a site using HTML and CSS, include SSI.php, and then pull any information the forum displays (anywhere) and format it the way I want, WITHOUT knowing SQL.

ghosttr

I would like a register function added to the ssi so registrations can be handled out of the forums. I have made a makeshift ssi_register function but it still has some problems. Like redirecting to the forum after registration.

ibookdb

Quote from: ghosttr on March 16, 2008, 06:42:46 PM
I would like a register function added to the ssi so registrations can be handled out of the forums. I have made a makeshift ssi_register function but it still has some problems. Like redirecting to the forum after registration.

To reditect after registration, use the redirect line of code from the ssi_login. I'm not sure if it works or not but it should.

iBookDB

ibookdb

Quote from: Motoko-chan on January 27, 2008, 01:14:11 PM
haarrrgh, you can do most of that (except for the sorting, I believe) if you use the array output and actually do the layout of the information yourself.

Can we have this for echo and something else:

$output = 'blah';

switch ($mode) {
case 'echo':
  echo $output;
default:
  return $output;
}

iBookDB

青山 素子

Quote from: ibookdb on March 20, 2008, 04:44:03 PM

$output = 'blah';

switch ($mode) {
case 'echo':
  echo $output;
default:
  return $output;
}

That's exactly the same thing, just one is echoed out directly, the other the output is formatted in a variable.
Motoko-chan

Spaceman-Spiff

ibookdb, you should use the array method so the function will return an array for you, and you can use it whichever way you please.

For example:
<?php

$topics 
ssi_recentTopics(8null'array');

for (
$i 0$i count($topics); $i++)
{
   echo 
'
         + <a href="'
$topics[$i]['href'], '">'$topics[$i]['subject'], '</a> '$txt[525], ' '$topics[$i]['poster']['link'], '<br />';
}

?>

You can check SSI.php for the full array objects, or do a print_r

ibookdb

yes but for ssi_login, which is the only ssi function I use there is no array output so I have to customize SSI.php each time. You could add case 'array' as another option wherever applicable. But most of the times just the output itself will do.

iBookDB

dhimes

Quote from: ibookdb on February 13, 2008, 02:46:35 PM

Yes I second this. We need ssi_register and better ssi_login/logout.

Me too.  It's difficult to hack.

ibookdb

Quote from: Motoko-chan on March 20, 2008, 05:08:11 PM
Quote from: ibookdb on March 20, 2008, 04:44:03 PM

$output = 'blah';

switch ($mode) {
case 'echo':
  echo $output;
default:
  return $output;
}

That's exactly the same thing, just one is echoed out directly, the other the output is formatted in a variable.

Yes it is exactly the same thing but it would be nice to have the control to decide when to output.

iBookDB

Hoochie Coochie Man

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on March 20, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
ibookdb, you should use the array method so the function will return an array for you, and you can use it whichever way you please.

For example:
<?php

$topics 
ssi_recentTopics(8null'array');

for (
$i 0$i count($topics); $i++)
{
   echo 
'
         + <a href="'
$topics[$i]['href'], '">'$topics[$i]['subject'], '</a> '$txt[525], ' '$topics[$i]['poster']['link'], '<br />';
}

?>

You can check SSI.php for the full array objects, or do a print_r

Thankyou very much for this.
It works great.
İnadına SMF 1.1.X

Advertisement: