News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Functionality requests for SSI in the next version of SMF

Started by Grudge, December 25, 2006, 04:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarge

Does ssi_recentTopics(), for example, have image/attachment support?

For example, some users attach images to their posts and some others prefer to include them using [img] [/img]tags. It seems to me that ssi_recent*() and ssi_boardNews() simply don't show images at all, whether hotlinked or attached.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

c2h5oh

How about adding an extra variable allowing UTF8 output (forced, via converter) - it would come in handy if forum cannot be converted - ie. recent posts are pulled via SSI at 2 websites, one being UTF8, the other not.
"The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners"

mrskumfetish

i have an idea.. how about a refreshing "shout box" where members can chat right across any page they are on. thats is something sure to get members going.

also how about member rating profiles/pictures. where there will b a selected 10 main best of pictures 5 women 5 men
this may require alot of coding but im sure it can be done right? lol

wellanyway its jus a few suggestions hope mayb it an b done
im jus tryna get in where i fit in. fastest way to harlem is the A-train slick!

mip69

I would like a function for new replys/active topics in x hours.
Mvh Micke
www.ciklider.se

nitins60

Quote from: Sarge on April 12, 2007, 08:22:17 PM
Does ssi_recentTopics(), for example, have image/attachment support?

For example, some users attach images to their posts and some others prefer to include them using [img] [/img]tags. It seems to me that ssi_recent*() and ssi_boardNews() simply don't show images at all, whether hotlinked or attached.

+1, i just want to pull attachments from the topics, show up as per permissions!

peterstannard

Hopefully I havn't missed the board.

Can I ask for the option to turn off the displaying of the stuff I have highlighted in the image below, the comments text, the post info text and the separator.

mediman

Quote from: peterstannard on April 27, 2007, 07:03:25 AM
Hopefully I havn't missed the board.

Can I ask for the option to turn off the displaying of the stuff I have highlighted in the image below, the comments text, the post info text and the separator.

Use "array" instead "echo" as output and you can change the output to what ever you want.

mediman
My Projects: http://ticker-oase.de 
Please do not PM me with support requests.

motumbo

Quote from: Daniel15 on January 05, 2007, 08:10:34 PM
QuoteThat way people could incorporate SMF into their websites easier.
What's wrong with using the layer system for incorperating SMF into a site?
Integrating the forum into your site..., second post :D

The layering system is complex to the point where I didn't understand it and couldn't get it to work right.  Looks like others felt the same.

I did a little experiement the other day.  What I did is renamed the SMF index.php file to index2.php.  Then, I created another index.php and included in the index2.php file.  The forum seemed to work OK.

In light of this, I was thinking what if it were possible to include in SMF into an existing website layout easily.  Say, a custom index.php could be made with an existing website's header, footer, and navigation panel and the SMF forum could be included in quickly.

Perhaps there could be a function that would include the entire SMF forum without the meta data, body tags, doc type, and other stuff.  Basically, just a way to very quickly include the forum in an existing layout.  A core function to just generate the basics of the forum without the entire page.

青山 素子

Edit the index.template.php file to remove the extra content you don't want.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

motumbo

Quote from: 青山素子 on April 29, 2007, 02:00:49 PM
Edit the index.template.php file to remove the extra content you don't want.

Sure, that could be done.  And it's work.  That's how I integrated my forum into my site. 

But if there was a quick and simple function to include just the forum without the head and meta data, it would be nice.  That would be so simple and easy to integrate into an existing website that a small child could do it.

Easy is best.

青山 素子

But different themes might handle things differently.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Alan S

I'd like to see the ability to SSI the calendar onto a page , Not just events from the calendar , The actual calendar.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

motumbo

Quote from: Motoko-chan on April 30, 2007, 12:58:30 AM
But different themes might handle things differently.

I was thinking in terms of your own custom theme.

Have any of the developers of SMF seen what WordPress theme templating looks like? 

ladynada

Quote from: motumbo on April 29, 2007, 12:25:30 AM
Quote from: Daniel15 on January 05, 2007, 08:10:34 PM
QuoteThat way people could incorporate SMF into their websites easier.
What's wrong with using the layer system for incorperating SMF into a site?
Integrating the forum into your site..., second post :D

The layering system is complex to the point where I didn't understand it and couldn't get it to work right.  Looks like others felt the same.

I did a little experiement the other day.  What I did is renamed the SMF index.php file to index2.php.  Then, I created another index.php and included in the index2.php file.  The forum seemed to work OK.

In light of this, I was thinking what if it were possible to include in SMF into an existing website layout easily.  Say, a custom index.php could be made with an existing website's header, footer, and navigation panel and the SMF forum could be included in quickly.

Perhaps there could be a function that would include the entire SMF forum without the meta data, body tags, doc type, and other stuff.  Basically, just a way to very quickly include the forum in an existing layout.  A core function to just generate the basics of the forum without the entire page.

I did something like that with the ultiportal theme but it was rejected and I was told that the SMF license agreement does not allow that.

nada
WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

el canadiano

I want to see the News feed template to be editable

illustrationism

I know that some people have already mentioned this, but a way to grab posts from a topic would be nice... I'm about to build a function to do it myself, but something like this:

ssi_getTopic($topic = null, $limit = null, $start = null, $length = null, $output_method = 'echo')

...is what I'll be using.

moneyearner

these items should come as standard now

ads (banner rotator) for advertising as standard
ad management                                as standard
or serparate file linked to admin so you input details and save it and its there like a codingpart say for google ads or just a banner rotator which can be turned off or on in admin

shop                                                  as standard

logo changer in separate file so it calls for it and then its easier to change
what i mean is if you put in the coding a file it has to call for then in that file named whatever you could change the code to call a different one its easier than mucking around with all the coding......

and in this maybe im just thinking about my self LOL

allan

Peter Duggan

Quote from: moneyearner on July 22, 2007, 09:01:52 AM
these items should come as standard now

ads (banner rotator) for advertising as standard
ad management                                as standard
or serparate file linked to admin so you input details and save it and its there like a codingpart say for google ads or just a banner rotator which can be turned off or on in admin

shop                                                  as standard

logo changer in separate file so it calls for it and then its easier to change
what i mean is if you put in the coding a file it has to call for then in that file named whatever you could change the code to call a different one its easier than mucking around with all the coding......

All bloat AFAIC (and not really SSI)! ::)

- GeO -

sorry if I didn't find it..
I'd like to see a mod that makes your forum looks like a portal  ... Tinyportal or something else..
Again - sorry if I posted  wrong.                                                 

ExcalibursZone

hmm, the strangest thing happened, my posts in this thread disappeared... *ponder* Well, here is the request again.

To repost then:
For functionality I'd request:
login($username, $password)
logout()
Does not display forms or links but are simple back-end functions that will log someone in and out of SMF from an external source. Not from a CMS, not by showing a form that you log into/out of, but something that can be called after including the SSI.php file in your custom login/out page.

<?
    require ('path/to/smf/SSI.php');
    if(!$_GET['logout'] && $_GET['action'] != 'login' && !is_loggedIn()) { /*...show my custom form... that points back to this file...*/ }
    if(!is_loggedIn() && $_GET['action'] == 'login') ssi_login($_POST['username'], $_POST['password']);
    if(is_loggedIn() && $_GET['action'] == 'logoff') ssi_logoff();
?>

That's the basic idea. I use my own form (or another form that is already created) then I go ahead and use the ssi_login() and ssi_logoff() functions to log the user into SMF at the same time. So if they have a browser window open to the forums, they can hit refresh and they're logged in because the cookies and everything is there. If they logoff and go back to the forum window, they refresh and they're logged out.

Thanks for writing what you have, I just think these two simple functions would make things easier for anyone writing their own custom bridges/login forms/or adapting a form that already exists.

Advertisement: