News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Post count help

Started by shonts, November 08, 2006, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shonts

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC3
So i've been using smf since I started letting godaddy host my site.

& i have one little question:

I would like to keep track of how many posts' each member makes without them seeing the post count or anyone else's including admins & mods.

Would i need to delete my post count based groups & create a regular group to do this or is there a setting in the admin area to do this.

I enabled "Hide post group titles for grouped members?" but that didnt help me.

Thaks for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

Oldiesmann

It's pretty easy to hide post counts from members in their profile and in the posts themselves, but you've still got a couple of issues:

1. Post groups - unless you set all post groups to have the same name and same number of stars, or make every member part of a primary group, they'll eventually figure it out.

2. Statistics - this makes the per-user statistics section pretty much useless, and means that you'd have to hide the entire "top posters" block in the main statistics area, which would mess up the layout of the rest of the page (or at least make it look weird).

Just out of curiosity, why do you care if your members know how many posts they've made?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

shonts

Sorry it took so long to get back to responding, & thanks for replying.

Im a member of a sportsbike forum, we've tried showing post counts & for some reason we had members become post hogs (pretty much spam just to get their count up). We disabled showing post counts and the problem came to an end, we havent had any trouble with the post hogs since.

WoodsieLord

Hi there, I need to know how to do this
QuoteIt's pretty easy to hide post counts from members in their profile and in the posts themselves, but you've still got a couple of issues:

shonts has a point about post hogs.. its quite useful to disable postcount...

Thanks a lot.

PS:  SMF 1.1.1 just upgraded.

Advertisement: