News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

IPB 1.2 to SMF

Started by ncelario, December 24, 2006, 03:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncelario

Hi all. I tried to convert my IPB 1.2 forum to SMF using the IPB 1.3 converter but it said it wasnt successful coz of a duplicated file. But actually i have no idea how to transfer anything. I have zero php skills or sql knowldge.

Is there a step by step or detailed by detail instruction for dummies like me to make this work? I really would love to use SMF. SMF has a very powerful poll/survey features in which in my opinion is far more advance than of IPB or even VBulletin

Thanks all.
fueled by agenda, muppets will still be muppets

H

What was the actual error message you got?

I suspect we will have to modify the converter slightly in order for it to be compatible with 1.2
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

ncelario

(1st trial)First time i convert IPB to SMF was a disaster
1. My ipb 1.2 is located at publichtml/IPB
2. I installed SMF at IPB's root directory (publichtml/IPB/SMF) (i used webinstaller that i downloaded from here)
3. I uploaded the SMF to IPB 1.3 convertor at publichtml/IPB/SMF (take note, im using IPB 1.2)
4. I configure the SMF SQL user to have access to IPB SQL database
5. I run the convertor (lots of "duplicated codes, errors") it said CONVERSION FAILS etc
6. Afterwards, even my IPB 1.2 screwed up and i had to ask my webhost to reset to my full backups.

They installed it immediately, and im ready to do it again (but now, more carefully LoL)

(2nd Trial)I repeated the process using IPB 1.3 to SMF converter (even im using IPB 1.2 i did take the risk) here's how i did it (and failed)

1. My IPB 1.2 is installed on publichtml/IPB
2. I installed the SMF at publichtml/SMF (using fantastico)
3. I uploaded the convertor at the root file of SMF (publichtml/SMF)
4. I configured the SQL user of SMF to have ALL PRIVILAGES on IPB SQL
5. I clicked the browser to run the convertor (error)
Here's what i got

"Which software are you using?
The converter did not find any conversion data files. Please check to see if the one you want is available for download at www.simplemachines.org. If it isn't, we may be able to write one for you - just ask us!
After you download it, simply upload it into the same folder as this convert.php file. If you're having any other problems with this converter, don't hesitate to look for help on our forum.

Try again"

Is there anyone who successfully converted IPB 1.2 to SMF? Who can modify the converter? Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Quote from: huwnet on December 24, 2006, 10:46:37 AM
What was the actual error message you got?

I suspect we will have to modify the converter slightly in order for it to be compatible with 1.2

ncelario

青山 素子

I can look into modifying the 1.3 converter to work with 1.2, but I'll need the following items:

• IPB 1.2 itself
  • A db dump of your forum so I have test data
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ncelario

Hi! thanks for your reply.

im currently looking for a free IPB 1.2 unfortunately i cant find anything. I would love to give you the dbase of my forum but im on a dial up right now and i think my dsl will be reinstalled early January '07

If you have an alternative, please let me know. The things im considering right now is to upgrade my IPB 1.2 to IPB 1.3 then use the IPB 1.3 to SMF converter. I got the IPB 1.3 here but i cant find a IPB 1.2 to 1.3 converter.

Quote from: Motoko-chan on December 25, 2006, 12:58:14 PM
I can look into modifying the 1.3 converter to work with 1.2, but I'll need the following items:

• IPB 1.2 itself
  • A db dump of your forum so I have test data

青山 素子

IPB 1.2 was free (it was released before it went commercial), but because of their distribution policy, it is almost impossible to find the old versions (and rightly so, 1.x has some major security issues that are unpatched and will remain that way it seems).

If you install IPB 1.3, it should upgrade the database automatically. Of course, the usual text about backups applies.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ncelario

Thats my problem... i have no idea how to install IPB on servers. :( Its quite complicated unlike SMF's webinstall which is fairly easy.

Once my webhost has reinstalled my backup, ill try converting IPB 1.2 to SMF again... i have read some admins who managed to use IPB 1.3 converter and made it successfully with just little bit of errors.

I have explained in details how i installed and converted to SMF for the last two days. Can someone add (in details please) how and where to install the SMF?

Coz im thinking if i install it "inside" the root of IPB then it will be publichtml/IPB/SMF?

I tried installing SMF as publichtml/SMF and configured the SQLs but when i run the converter... it did not find any conversion files.

So where will i put SMF? at publichtml/IPB (if conversion fails, it will ruin the IPB forum again) or at publichtml/IPB/SMF? or just at publichtml/SMF?

Thanks

Quote from: Motoko-chan on December 25, 2006, 02:36:38 PM
IPB 1.2 was free (it was released before it went commercial), but because of their distribution policy, it is almost impossible to find the old versions (and rightly so, 1.x has some major security issues that are unpatched and will remain that way it seems).

If you install IPB 1.3, it should upgrade the database automatically. Of course, the usual text about backups applies.

青山 素子

Install SMF in a different directory. I recommend uploading it alongside the ipb one.

I recommend you look over the Online Manual section for information on how to install SMF.
Motoko-chan

ncelario

I already did... here's what i got tho...

(2nd Trial)I repeated the process using IPB 1.3 to SMF converter (even im using IPB 1.2 i did take the risk) here's how i did it (and failed)

1. My IPB 1.2 is installed on publichtml/IPB
2. I installed the SMF at publichtml/SMF (using fantastico)
3. I uploaded the convertor at the root file of SMF (publichtml/SMF)
4. I configured the SQL user of SMF to have ALL PRIVILAGES on IPB SQL
5. I clicked the browser to run the convertor (error)
Here's what i got

"Which software are you using?
The converter did not find any conversion data files. Please check to see if the one you want is available for download at www.simplemachines.org. If it isn't, we may be able to write one for you - just ask us!
After you download it, simply upload it into the same folder as this convert.php file. If you're having any other problems with this converter, don't hesitate to look for help on our forum.

Try again" 

Quote from: Motoko-chan on December 26, 2006, 12:34:34 PM
Install SMF in a different directory. I recommend uploading it alongside the ipb one.

I recommend you look over the Online Manual section for information on how to install SMF.

Advertisement: