News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Slow like a granny...

Started by Zellenny, December 26, 2006, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zellenny

Hello,

i have converted my PHPBB database to SMF 1.1.1. Now, users have started complaining that forum runs very slow, but when im loged in as administrator, it runs great, and when i log in with some other username, it is indeed soooo sloooow... :(

A link to your forum: http://www.ff-cro.net/smf/index.php [nofollow]

A link to your status.php: http://www.ff-cro.net/smf/status.php [nofollow]

a link to your phpinfo.php: http://www.ff-cro.net/smf/phpinfo.php [nofollow]

The Number of posts your forum has: 6279

The Average number of users you have online during peak time and over what time period that is over, e.g 400 users over 15 mins: sorry, didnt understand this...

A list of mods which you have installed: none

Do you still have performance issues if you use the default theme: yes

A list of the suggestions you have already implemented from the README: Checklist for performance problems topic: everything, and when i tryied to convert to InnoDB i got this error:

QuoteSQL query:

ALTER TABLE smf_log_search TYPE = InnoDB;

MySQL said: 
#1146 - Table 'ffcro_smf.smf_log_search' doesn't exist

What can i do?

Thanks!

IchBin™

Are you trying to convert the table in phpMyAdmin or on the command line? Is your prefix really ffcro_smf.smf_ ?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Joshua Dickerson

If it's slow like my Granny than it must be blazing. You should see her zip around with her little walker.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Zellenny

Quote from: IchBin™ on December 26, 2006, 09:13:14 PM
Are you trying to convert the table in phpMyAdmin or on the command line? Is your prefix really ffcro_smf.smf_ ?
Yes, phpmyadmin and database name is ffcro_smf, and he did convert all the tables before he encounted that error.

Quote from: groundup on December 27, 2006, 01:41:30 AM
If it's slow like my Granny than it must be blazing. You should see her zip around with her little walker.
:D

Zellenny

Btw... how many tables should i have? (i got 41 at the moment)

IchBin™

H

Could you please enable time taken to display page?

Also are you getting any errors in the error log? (Admin area > Error Log)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Zellenny

Quote from: huwnet on December 27, 2006, 09:26:35 AM
Could you please enable time taken to display page?

Also are you getting any errors in the error log? (Admin area > Error Log)
OK, did it. It says:

Page created in 8.39 seconds with 17 queries.

And for the error log... I was shocked :) Forum is up for 3 days, and i have 5 pages of error logs. These ones occur most often:

Quote2: file_exists() [<a href='function.file-exists'>function.file-exists</a>]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/index.template.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/ffcro/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp)
File: /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Sources/Themes.php
Line: 340

Quote2: mb_stristr() [<a href='function.mb-stristr'>function.mb-stristr</a>]: Empty haystack
File: /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Sources/Profile.php
Line: 291

Quote8: Undefined index: sa
Line: 184

Quote8: Undefined index: custom_copyright
File: /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main_below sub template - eval?)
Line: 480

Quote8: Undefined index: logo_not_show
File: /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 211

Quote2: mb_stristr() [<a href='function.mb-stristr'>function.mb-stristr</a>]: Empty haystack
File: /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Sources/Profile.php
Line: 2322

And some "password incorrect" errors too...

Zellenny

H

Have you installed any mods?

Did the problems occur before the custom them was installed?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Zellenny

Quote from: huwnet on December 28, 2006, 09:14:39 AM
Have you installed any mods?

Did the problems occur before the custom them was installed?
No, i dont have any mods.

I really dont know did the problems occur before installing the custom theme becouse i activated it before going public.

D Ogi

Hi,
you should uninstall all packages, and install them again, themes too.

Daniel15

QuoteIs your prefix really ffcro_smf.smf_ ?
ffcro_smf is the database name ;)

QuotePage created in 8.39 seconds with 17 queries.
That's definately not normal!

Quote2: file_exists() [<a href='function.file-exists'>function.file-exists</a>]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/index.template.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/ffcro/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp)
Line: 340
It sounds like your theme's path is wrong. Please go to Admin panel --> Themes and Settings and make sure that all the paths are right.
The Theme directory (templates) for each theme should look like /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Themes/[theme name]. If one of them is not correct, click on the theme's name, and edit the path.

Quotewhen im loged in as administrator, it runs great, and when i log in with some other username, it is indeed soooo sloooow...
Are you using a different theme by any chance? It could be related to the theme path problem.
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Zellenny

QuoteIt sounds like your theme's path is wrong. Please go to Admin panel --> Themes and Settings and make sure that all the paths are right.
The Theme directory (templates) for each theme should look like /home/ffcro/public_html/smf/Themes/[theme name]. If one of them is not correct, click on the theme's name, and edit the path.
Everything is OK, here's a picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/zelenbaba/theme.jpg [nofollow]

QuoteAre you using a different theme by any chance? It could be related to the theme path problem.
No, i forced everyones setting to use the same theme. I tryed forcing a diffrent theme, and it was slow again.

BTW. happy new year guys :)

IchBin™

Can you goto the Admin Panel > Maintenance > Check all files against current versions. See if any of your files have not been upgraded or anything.

Zellenny

Quote from: IchBin™ on January 04, 2007, 12:10:37 AM
Can you goto the Admin Panel > Maintenance > Check all files against current versions. See if any of your files have not been upgraded or anything.
I did that, and TigerEye theme (wich was default), was 1.1. so i switched back to "SMF Deafulat theme - Core"... Here is the pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/zelenbaba/smf2.jpg [nofollow]

I have set up a server on my computer and imported the database, so i can figure out is the hosting company server crapy, or its the database problem...

Ill come back with some more info.

IchBin™

Great, please keep us posted if you find anything.

Zellenny

OK, did that too. Guys who tested it say that it really is faster, but still not fast enough... It could be my connection, upload is only 192Kb/s... The worst score was 11s, wich is OK compare to 1min...

It bothers me... Everything looks OK... But why oh why does it run so slow...

IchBin™

Well it could be a number of things. But since its running on your machine a bit faster even with your slow upload speed, I would say you should take a look at your server specs and inspect the load. If you're on a shared account it could be likely that the server just isn't handling the load it has.

Zellenny

Quote from: IchBin™ on January 04, 2007, 11:37:08 PM
Well it could be a number of things. But since its running on your machine a bit faster even with your slow upload speed, I would say you should take a look at your server specs and inspect the load. If you're on a shared account it could be likely that the server just isn't handling the load it has.
Yes it could be... Anyway, we will be transfering to a diffrent host. And guys say that its really fast today :)

Just one more thing, i looked at the status php and like half of those things are not in the normal limits (the bold txt):

http://www.ff-cro.net/smf/status.php [nofollow]

That means the server is overloaded?

c2h5oh

Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    473042.3594 (should be <= 80) niiiiiice
"The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners"

Zellenny

Quote from: c2h5oh on January 06, 2007, 07:58:14 AM
Opened vs. Open tables:
I find that disturbing too :D

JayBachatero

1. Are you on a dedicated server or vps?
2. Can you chmod the /proc/loadavg, /proc/cpuinfo and /proc/meminfo to 555.  That way the otehr stats show in the status.php page.
3. How many posts/topics does your board have?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Zellenny

Quote from: JayBachatero on January 06, 2007, 02:25:42 PM
1. Are you on a dedicated server or vps?
2. Can you chmod the /proc/loadavg, /proc/cpuinfo and /proc/meminfo to 555.  That way the otehr stats show in the status.php page.
3. How many posts/topics does your board have?
1. No, its not a dedicated server

2. No, i dont have access to those files/folders

3. I have "6340 Posts in 648 Topics by 160 Members"

We will be transfering to other host next week, i will let you know what happends then ;)

青山 素子

Quote from: Zellenny on January 06, 2007, 11:32:24 AM
Opened vs. Open tables:

That is one heavily-loaded SQL server. Certainly a very possible cause of slowness.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

JayBachatero

Quote from: Motoko-chan on January 07, 2007, 05:50:47 PM
Quote from: Zellenny on January 06, 2007, 11:32:24 AM
Opened vs. Open tables:

That is one heavily-loaded SQL server. Certainly a very possible cause of slowness.
I agree with you Motoko.  I wonder what's the current load on this server.
Follow me on Twitter

Zellenny

*BUMP*

Hi again, we moved to another server, and its great, everything is working really fast!

http://www.ffcro.net/forum/index.php [nofollow] --> Page created in 0.2 seconds with 9 queries.

Thanks everyone!

Daniel15

Glad to see you solved the problem :)

Quote from: JayBachatero on January 06, 2007, 02:25:42 PM
It's not CHMODding that's the problem, it's the fact that some hosts block the exec command (this is the command used by status.php to grab the data).

Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

JayBachatero

I guess that might be the problem here.  I had to chmod it on my site.
Follow me on Twitter

Daniel15

Quote from: JayBachatero on January 25, 2007, 11:45:27 PM
I guess that might be the problem here.  I had to chmod it on my site.
Yeah, some servers are stupid and have it chmodded to 0400 or similar... My server has it at 0444 ;)

Advertisement: