News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

nneonneo's Shoutbox

Started by nneonneo, December 26, 2006, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Unless you have permission to distribute the updated mod, from the author, you will have to remove that update, I'm afraid.

radzior

are u police or something? show me your batch if so

or even better show me where's the license for this shoutbox

Arantor

I'm not police, but I can readily call the moderators in to remove the link.

That's the point, there IS no licence for the mod. In absence of that, the rule has always been to follow the SMF licence for modifications, which means no derived works and no redistribution (which is basically what copyright law would provide for too)

mcrat

I just installed SB_1.22b on default curve 2.02 and it seems to be working fine?

radzior

Quote from: mcrat on January 17, 2012, 06:35:02 AM
I just installed SB_1.22b on default curve 2.02 and it seems to be working fine?

Yeah, regulat SB will do its just AdvSB that makes problems on 2.0.2

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 17, 2012, 05:21:49 AM
I'm not police, but I can readily call the moderators in to remove the link.

That's the point, there IS no licence for the mod. In absence of that, the rule has always been to follow the SMF licence for modifications, which means no derived works and no redistribution (which is basically what copyright law would provide for too)

Well why you just dont call in the author of this mod so he can speak for himself

PLUS

My derived work adds functionality for SMF 2.0.2 which is released under this license:
QuoteBSD License (SMF 2.0+)
Copyright © 2011 Simple Machines. All rights reserved.

Developed by: Simple Machines Forum Project
Simple Machines
http://www.simplemachines.org

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.
    Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    Neither the names of Simple Machines Forum, Simple Machines, nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this Software without specific prior written permission.

U dick I'm thinking if you're not the police you must be a secret agent working for government or microsoft... call your mods I don't care if I get banned coz I have 0 respect for brown-nosers and snitches like u

Arantor

It doesn't matter that you've released your work under BSD, the original isn't, and as such you do not have any right to redistribute code as such. If the original author had left a suitable licence, I wouldn't be bringing this up.

And the original author hasn't been around here for a long time. It is because of arrogance and disrespect from people like you, of not adhering to the terms of licences that SMF used to have its own no-fork, no-redistribute licence.

Kindred

Let me make an official statement, if that's what you need to see.

Regardless of what the SMF license is...  mods are licensed individually and do not have to follow the SMF license.
Any mod that does not indicate a specific license will default to the most restrictive license (no redistribution without permission).

Additionally, we have never allowed for users to redistribute a mod as an attachment in the message threads.
We have a very specific process for submitting, validating and accepting mods...  mods as attachments bypass this process and thus, are not allowed.

As for the rest of it...  Watch your language. There is no need for name calling or attitude like that. Arrow was very nice in his first message to you and your attack was uncalled for. If it continues, you WILL be banned.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hotman

Hello , I would like to ask something

I am using SMF 2.0.2 version .

I have downloaded the latest version of this shoutbox (SB_1.22b)

I am using also default theme.

Does it work properly? Because I won't to damage my files. Thanks

Kindred

it will probably work....   since it was updated for 2.0 - but there are no guarantees.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Con

Ehm.. is OP on a long vacation or did he abandon this mod?

radzior

sorry, so how (can?) we fork this mod?

Arantor

You can try asking the author for permission, but I don't think anyone's heard from him in a long while, meaning that if your intention is to distribute one, you're probably better off writing one from scratch and using a BSD licence in the process (then there's absolutely no debate on ownership)

There are also other advantages to writing it from scratch as opposed to using a pre-built one, you can do things you wouldn't necessarily be able to do otherwise - it's possible with the changes in SMF 2.0 to write such a shoutbox with few (if any) edits to files in the system, but use the template layers and hooks to perform the integration.

endus

The issue with this breaking autocomplete is really becoming a problem for me.  I love this mod and want to keep it, but if the author is not maintaining it anymore I am going to have to look for alternatives.  I mean, hey, it's free and I don't mean to be a nudge but I really do need to get this fixed.  Would love to iron out the bug.

Colask8

My users dont have access to it.. Whats wrong? I see shoutbox but they dont :S Its something with permissions? FIXD!

EDIT: So is there anyway to implement some text colors for users? We used to have vbulletin and they're used to modify their text xD

BCK

use bb code for color...brackets with "color=red"   and "/color"  in them with whatever color replacing the red?

red    blue etc

Buddymc

I just installed this a few hours ago on 2.0.2. It works great. But I am the only one that can see it  and I can not find how to  set it for others to see.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Buddymc

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2012, 03:41:29 PM
permissions

Ok,
Let me phrase this another way. I go under permission and see General, board, edit profiles, and settings. I looked under all 4 of those and see nothing pertaining to the shout box.
Still new to SMF software and do not fully understand it yet.

Kindred

under general permissions, you have a list of each membergroup

click modify and then find the shoutbox permission and set it (must be done for each membergroup which has its own permissions)
Слaва
Украинi

Buddymc

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2012, 03:55:40 PM
under general permissions, you have a list of each membergroup

click modify and then find the shoutbox permission and set it (must be done for each membergroup which has its own permissions)

Now that was very helpful and showed me stuff I did not know was there. Been wondering how to do the permission.
Thanks much.

Advertisement: