nneonneo's Shoutbox

Started by nneonneo, December 26, 2006, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nneonneo

@zirak: Turn off $gzipCompression in yshout/settings.php
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

HR

Stupid question I know.. but where is the limit to the size of the log file or how often it automatically clears/resets?

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.
If I do it and you implement it its a crap shoot.

bfeo

Quote from: master2oo8 on November 13, 2008, 05:37:37 PM
nneonneo, maybe you can add, that when a teammember bann a user from shoutbox, that there stand in the shoutbox something like "$user banned from shoutbox"?

Quote from: bfeo on November 13, 2008, 09:00:21 AM
My host told me that my IP alone was running 180 connections because of the shoutbox.  Could this be caused by having check duplicates on false?  I'm afraid to put the shoutbox back up, because my host got very disgruntled with me.  Their server blocked my IP 10 times before they divulged the reason I was being blocked (who knows why), and yet they seemed to think that I was at fault for not fixing the problem.

What can I do to lower the amount of connections made, while still having the shoutbox appear on all forum related pages?
Yes, the SB makes much connections, thats true...
read http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=137508.0#post_troubleshooting

The troubleshooting guide discusses bandwidth.  That's not my issue.  The issue is too many connections per person.  The host was categorizing it as mini ddoses, and began suspending IPs when only 5 ppl were chatting.  What can I do to minimize the amount of connections that the shoutbox will open per person?

Steephh

Quote from: Steephh on November 12, 2008, 03:53:47 PM
history.home.txt is 4MB.. and is getting bigger and bigger!

lol :P

@nneonneo: kick

nneonneo

@HR, Steephh: No limit, no reset. You will have to clear it manually.

@bfeo: The guide also reduces the number of simultaneous connections.
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

bfeo

yes, but it doesn't specify how many.  How can I be sure of how many connections will be open?  How many connections does the chat open, I'd like information please.

Threepwud

I too have had members being banned due to too many connections so I'd like to look into that.

But first, I have just installed Simple Portal (is that a good idea?!) and now the shoutbox has disappeared. Any ideas as to what changes Simple Portal makes to make it go away?

Shadow03

Only I (the head admin) can see the shoutbox on my forum... Nobody else can. I manually installed it to my SMF 2 Beta 4 forum. I'm using the AdvSB_1.21.

Can anyone resolve this issue?

Threepwud

Quote from: Shadow03 on November 15, 2008, 11:35:06 AM
Only I (the head admin) can see the shoutbox on my forum... Nobody else can. I manually installed it to my SMF 2 Beta 4 forum. I'm using the AdvSB_1.21.

Sounds very much like a simple permissions problem. Select the group you want in permissions and scroll down - there are different types of permissions to choose from (like general forum permissions etc). For me, one was blank and that was for the Shoutbox. I had to enable it there before it was accessible by other users.

nneonneo

@bfeo: Normally, under the chatbox refresh style ($updateTimeout >= 5, refreshTime <= 1000) the shoutbox will open one connection per host and hold that connection open for at most $updateTimeout seconds. The client will refresh the shoutbox after the connection closes, after a delay of refreshTime milliseconds.

For an autorefreshing shoutbox style ($updateTimeout = 0, refreshTime >= 5000) the PHP script will immediately read the chats file and close the connection, and the client will refresh the shoutbox every refreshTime milliseconds.

The difference is, in the latter style, no connections are held open. They are closed as soon as the chats file is done transmission. Hence, the number of connections should be much fewer.

@Threepwud: I don't know anything about SimplePortal.

Does the shoutbox disappear completely, i.e. is "Shout Box" still visible? If it isn't, then that's a theme issue.
If the "Shout Box" text is still visible, then it is likely that SimplePortal is affecting the shoutbox code. Try going to /index.php?yshout and /yshout/ and see if the shoutbox appears.
spammers here!

Threepwud

At www.hldrforum.com -

When the page is loading the shoutbox is visible and you can see the shouts and everything. However the box then vanishes as soon as the page fully loads.

nneonneo

Aha.

Notice: Undefined index: sp-forum in /home/hldrforu/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 3900

This little message pops up, and it is probably causing the compression to fail. Turn off $gzipCompression, and the shoutbox should appear, with that message in it. You might have to add error_reporting(0); to the top of yshout.php (after <?) to make that error go away.
spammers here!

Threepwud

Thanks once again!

I'm searching but currently can't find this setting and is there a chance my host would get annoyed with me having it turned off? Bandwidth isn't an issue, mind you.

nneonneo

yshout/settings.php. Turning off compression means a little less work for the server and a fair bit more output. It's a tradeoff.

You could try putting in error_reporting(0); in yshout.php instead; that might fix the problem without having to disable compression.
spammers here!

Threepwud

Quote from: nneonneo on November 15, 2008, 01:04:36 PM
Turning off compression means a little less work for the server and a fair bit more output. It's a tradeoff.

I'm sorry but a little less work for the server and more output - isn't that two good things?

nneonneo

No, more output means using more bandwidth, and probably a little more time the server spends processing the output.
spammers here!

Threepwud

Fixed. You're a smart ***!

I disabled the gzip compression - if it eases server resources I'm happier I think. So it may just make it slower but better for the server if I'm correct.

Thanks again.

EDIT: error_reporting(0); does not seem to stop the error popping up. Just thought I'd throw that in :)

Shadow03

Quote from: Threepwud on November 15, 2008, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Shadow03 on November 15, 2008, 11:35:06 AM

Sounds very much like a simple permissions problem. Select the group you want in permissions and scroll down - there are different types of permissions to choose from (like general forum permissions etc). For me, one was blank and that was for the Shoutbox. I had to enable it there before it was accessible by other users.
And where exactly can I find this permission? I checked everything and I don't see it. Could you give me some direct instructions, or another suggestion?

Threepwud

ADMIN --> MEMBERS --> PERMISSIONS --> GENERAL PERMISSIONS -->

Under REGULAR MEMBERS select MODIFY

You'll get lists of things you can select and these are grouped (ie, Carry out administrative duties and Use basic forum functionality). One of these is, for me anyway, is left blank. Open up this group and choose VIEW SHOUTBOX and POST IN SHOUTBOX.

Hope that is what you are after.

Shadow03

Advertisement: