Advertisement:

Author Topic: Username issue after conversion  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Orb!ter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Username issue after conversion
« on: January 14, 2007, 02:14:14 AM »
Hi all,

I have just finished converting a database for one of the forums I run from IPB 1.3 to SMF. This is the final one to do, and well this problem I am having is going to be a nightmare given the number of members in this one.

Basically I have converted using the convert script (where it failed in posts which I restructured the query it spat out to get it working successfully), but the problem like the other conversions I have done is the use of symbols in a name. For example, my name (Orb!ter) doesn't work as there is an ! in the name. IPB seems to replace using ! which is fine - except it won't let me log in ;)

Before I write my own script to change the database to remove these characters, does anyone else know of a way or is there a script readily available that will assist in rewriting members names into a proper SMF format (ie without the HTML replacement).

For the record, I have just spent 40 minutes searching for the result, so maybe it's a rare one :S

Thanks,
Orb!ter

Offline JayBachatero

  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • *
  • Posts: 19,562
  • Gender: Male
    • @jaycreations on Twitter
    • JayBachatero.com
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »
Orb!ter did you get this solved?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Offline Orb!ter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:52:38 AM »
Not yet - will be testing my 'conversion' script eventually - just have to replace all IPB's HTML code with the proper character and let MySQL take care of the rest ;)

Orb!ter

Offline JayBachatero

  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • *
  • Posts: 19,562
  • Gender: Male
    • @jaycreations on Twitter
    • JayBachatero.com
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
The user name should be able to transfer though.  SMF supports ! in usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Offline Orb!ter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:40 PM »
Yes, but SMF doesn't recognise Orb#33;ter (or something similar) as Orb!ter. What I need to do is replace all instances of a character HTML replacement with the actual character and let MySQL deal with it.

Offline JayBachatero

  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • *
  • Posts: 19,562
  • Gender: Male
    • @jaycreations on Twitter
    • JayBachatero.com
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
You not looking to convert again right?  I can make the converter un_htmlspecialchars on the usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Offline Orb!ter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »
Well, i can reconvert the data - will be doing this in February again, but yeah - pretty much an un_htmlspecialchars would be great, mind you if you don't have time time I am able to write up pretty much the same thing.

Thanks,
Orb!ter

Offline JayBachatero

  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • *
  • Posts: 19,562
  • Gender: Male
    • @jaycreations on Twitter
    • JayBachatero.com
Re: Username issue after conversion
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »
I'll post something for you tom.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert