Option for alternate email or same email for more than one member

Started by andcorp, September 10, 2005, 04:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andcorp

I think a reasonable feature would be to have an alternate email option or an admin option of allowing members to share emails. The forum I am setting up is going to be used by many people with just one email address, but more than one person...ie husband and wife. Its easy to say "create another email" but many of these people are not computer savvy and have enough trouble handling one address. I understand the security risk in allowing multiple users to share the email address they registered with, but my feature could be implemented in 4 ways (that i can think of anyhow)

1. Allowing users to register with the same email, but making this an optional feature for the board admin.
2. Allowing the admin to manually change the address after registration and upon request. This would be fine for my use, but i can see how it would just create extra work for some admins
3. Allowing only the admin to create the accounts with multiple emails, The admin would make the decision as to if this is necessary. This again may be extra work, but for most boards it probably wouldnt be used often
4. Having a member configurable option to assign a secondary email which replies and such would be sent (and register with a fake email as suggested by a siteadmin in another thread)

Until I can get thi feature, it is going to be difficult to release the board, or at least find a mod which can give me this feature

dschwab9

Are you saying have one email address for notifications and stuff and a second, "public" one?   If so, I think that would be a nice option.

[Unknown]

Quote from: dschwab9 on September 10, 2005, 09:31:25 AM
Are you saying have one email address for notifications and stuff and a second, "public" one?   If so, I think that would be a nice option.

No.  He or she wants members to share email addresses.

-[Unknown]

andcorp

Primarily i would like to share addresses, but if thats not possible A feature where a user could have a secondary address which doesnt need to be unique, then they could register with a fake email and put their real "shared" address in as a secondary one for notifications and the like.

Advertisement: