News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ignore User.

Started by NukeWorker.com, July 12, 2004, 10:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NukeWorker.com

In the PM, you can add a user to an ignore list.  And it only ignores PMs.

I would like a link in everyones profile that allows us to ignore them alltogether.  That way, if some one really pushes your buttons, but doesn't bother others, you can just "ignore" them, completely.

Vinoth

Sounds good, have an beer for this/
Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Cypher7

Can't you just ignore them by not reading the posts!?  It ignores PM's cos they are send/aimed directly to you, but posts... do you mean that it won't display their posts!?

Just choose not to read their posts... otherwise you could be looking at onesided conversations in a topic! And you won't know what the ignored user has said, so you could be repeating posts too!!

Grudge

Plus the big point that this would slow things like loading topics down quite a lot...
I'm only a half geek really...

NukeWorker.com

Quote from: Grudge on July 12, 2004, 11:44:52 AM
Plus the big point that this would slow things like loading topics down quite a lot...

It wouldn't have to be a global ignore, just a local ignore.  That person might be willing to give up a few micro seconds..

It was just a suggestion, I'm not gonna die if I don't get it.

SpecHackers was my muse, lol.

windrider

I've been in a situation lately on a YABBSE board where an Ignore User feature would have come in quite handy for all users involved.  That such a feature would slow the board down is meaningless as the posts by the undesirable user has pretty much puth the board in a tizzy.  A lot of the users are asking the admin to change over to software that has an ignore feature, and they are even willing to donate to the cost of purchasing it.

Saying simply that I - or the rest of the users - should just ignore undesirable posters is a bit out of touch with real human psyche.

I say, add an Ignore User feature and let it be an option for the administrator to allow or not allow.

Bill

[Unknown]

Well, the biggest point is that for some people, this feature is not useful.  These people should not be detrimented just because other people want it - unless the other people are much larger in number than the some.

I can see a case for a global ignore, but a local ignore is complicated and would make things very weird.  Let's say I, as an administrator, were to ignore someone.... and then someone were to report their post.  I would not be able to see this post, resulting in confusion.

At the very least, I can see making a feature that "collapses" posts made by certain users, such that you have to say you want to view it to actually view it.  The problem is, this would sitll cause problems and controversy with many people.

However, if I were to make a member "silenced" such that he could see his posts, but no one else could, that wouldn't cause any confusion except for the troublemaker :P.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 05, 2004, 11:20:47 PM
However, if I were to make a member "silenced" such that he could see his posts, but no one else could, that wouldn't cause any confusion except for the troublemaker :P.

-[Unknown]

this sounds cool, I would have so much fun with this, lol.

windrider

I'm new to PHP, so I won't try to hint at coding it.  But I come from the days of dial-up BBS's where I wrote my own software for such a system and had an Ignore feature.  Simply put, if a message was from a person on a user's Ignore list, any post from the ignored person came up as <User Name - Ignored> and the body of his/her text was not sent to the user's screen.

Yet, as an administrator (what we called a Sysop back then), I saw all posts - I didn't have the ability to ignore anyone. although I had the ability to collapse all posts to just the details (Poster, title of post, date and time, etc).

[Unknown]

Sorry, my think is I'm not happy with just doing something.  If we're going to do something, it has to be done right.

That means, if a user gets ignored, they have to be ignored EVERYWHERE.  This has global applications THROUGHOUT SMF and is by far not as simple as you want to make it sound....

-[Unknown]

windrider

Okay, so I'm confused....

If I don't like what USER A tends to post, then I click an applicable button to "Ignore This User", and from then on , the text of any posts written by USER A doesn't get sent to me, whether they are public or private.

Again, I'm not familiar with PHP, but what would make this such a difficult task?

[Unknown]

Recent posts, replies to posts (easiest and the only one you're mentioning), split topics interface, topic notifications, last post to a topic, child board last post handling, most recent post, most recent member even.

It also has to be scalable with all of these ramifications.  It can't croak if you have 20000 members all ignoring 30 members each.

-[Unknown]

windrider

Okay...since I am ignorant about PHP scripting and thus can't compare it to C or Basic, I'll have to go with your opinion on coding it.   Thanks, Sir.

[Unknown]

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it won't happen tommorow and that in ways it may be more likely as an installable modification package.

-[Unknown]

bryan_49ers

Just wanted to focus on this topic for a second.  I too would be very interested in adding it  to my board.  Where I have seen it used most succesful is on cafe utne 's board.  I'm not certain what software they are running, but it isn't conventional from what I can tell.

Has there been any progress so far? 

Thank you

mohoganybrwn

I would be interested in this as well!  :D

fugiFox

Quote from: NukeWorker.com on July 12, 2004, 10:37:35 AM
In the PM, you can add a user to an ignore list.  And it only ignores PMs.

I would like a link in everyones profile that allows us to ignore them alltogether.  That way, if some one really pushes your buttons, but doesn't bother others, you can just "ignore" them, completely.

I am also against theis feauture.
Why becoming a member of a community forum when u r ignoring (some of) them?

Elijah Bliss

This makes no sense to me. What would happen if someone quoted the user you are trying to ignore?

Rudolf

Nothing, the quote will show up as normal in the other post. At least the way my mod does.
The way I understand this feature is not to remove completely the posts from the forum. Just hide it from the view, if I don't even want to see what he/she writes. If someone quotes him/her, then bad luck. If it happens a lot of times you can ignore the user who is quoting him/her too.  :P
   It is not meant as a moderation tool, just a way for the user to decide what to "see" and what not.  :-\

While you fight over this thread, you might have noticed that it's already written, and no harm was done to anyone ... yet.  :P

Rudolf
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

Advertisement: