News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

No Reply Emails

Started by live627, December 29, 2006, 12:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S3NTYN3L

So, the " No Reply Message " field in your example displays the following?:

QuoteYou are receiving this email because...so on and so forth

SleePy

yes. it aadds that to any email using the sendmail functioin in smf. which should be all smf email.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

perro88

hi and thanks for the mod.

What I have to modify on cpanel and smf to have for example one mail(let's say [email protected]) on the cpanel that will be the webmasters mail and then send noreply mails( don't matter if the mails sent to the noreply mail are redirected or sent to nothing). atm I have on cpanel the main account admin and on smf the webmaster mail [email protected], and then another mail on cpanel [email protected] and using this on smtp settings on smf, so it's sending the mails as [email protected] and not using the [email protected](dunno if with your mod I'll be able to delete this second cpanel mail and just keep the main mail using it as webmaster mail). when I activate the noreply mod it send mails with the noreply mail(the one defined on the mod settings) and write that message on the end but adds after the message the [email protected] mail(tested on gmail) and well if I add that setting :fail: .... it will also don't receive mails to the webmaster mail. Do I have to have for example let's say a gmail mail as admin? on my forum the mails are sent by the mail defined as webmaster mail and not the one defined on the smtp settings, is it normal?

SleePy

Using cpanel you go to mail then forwarders.
The instructions at the bottom tell you the right words to use, but you simply add the email and then the words, usually its something liike :fail: or :blackhole:
Newer versions of cpanel don't give this option but allow you to check a box for it to fail and send a message back.

Ask your host for the best information on setting up a no-reply email address.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

perro88

Quote from: SleePy on January 28, 2008, 12:49:11 AM
Using cpanel you go to mail then forwarders.
The instructions at the bottom tell you the right words to use, but you simply add the email and then the words, usually its something liike :fail: or :blackhole:
Newer versions of cpanel don't give this option but allow you to check a box for it to fail and send a message back.

Ask your host for the best information on setting up a no-reply email address.
the mails usually are sent with the mails that is being used as webmaster mail or the one on the smpt config?   on mine it's sending with the webmaster mail. for example if you want to blackhole the mails then it will also blackhole reports made to the admin?

SleePy

When you blackhole you can either do a whole domain or just a single account. It is up to you how you configure things.
My mod just makes it so your emails have a different from address, and attaches a notice at the bottom for those who really need to reply to you.

perro88

Quote from: SleePy on January 28, 2008, 05:07:52 PM
When you blackhole you can either do a whole domain or just a single account. It is up to you how you configure things.
My mod just makes it so your emails have a different from address, and attaches a notice at the bottom for those who really need to reply to you.

ok big thanks

doughboy99

Hi

Hello!  I'm using v1.3 on my 1.1.4 Forums, and am having a small problem.

Like an earlier poster when I ran the installer, the check failed for Sub-Posts.php, so I went in and manually updated the code - no issues so far.

The mod seems to work fine - I'm getting the email notifications of PMs correctly with the noreply address, no repeated text.

However, email sent from members page is not quite correct

"Hello fred,

The following is an email sent to you by Jo Soap via your account on St Ives Sub Aqua Club . If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address at [email protected] Message sent to you follows Message Text

You are receiving this email because you or something using this email address has signed up to the SISAC Forum. If you feel you need to contact us please email us at [email protected]"

I'm not getting errors in the error log. I am using the User Email System mod.

Any idea what may be causing this, and how to correct it?

Thanks

SleePy

Can you attach your Subs-Post.php file?

I did some work on this section as I could get this to occur with newletters. If it is occuring in user email system I will need to find out why.

doughboy99

Thanks I've attached the subs-post file. Newsletters are working OK for me.

SleePy

Hmm, Try this one.

It uses some static variables in it. Hopefully it helps, if this does work I can update it in the next package release I will do soon.

doughboy99

Hi

I replaced Subs-Post.php and I'm now getting the following error in my browser when I post an email

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF in /home/hunter00/public_html/sisac/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1

doughboy99

Hi

I placed the line

static $webmaster_replyemail;

from your amended subs-post.php into mine. Emailing  from the members page now shows the expected email address at the bottom of the email. I'll test further tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. Great mod by the way.

Doug

SleePy

There needs to be a little more work.

The error you got says the line endings where messed up and when it was uploaded everything got smashed into one line.
This sometimes happens when going between systems :|
I can just tell you the changes needed if you want to go that route.

doughboy99

Just the changes would be great for now thanks.
I did a compare on my file and yours and could only find one addition.

SleePy

Odd,
I thought there was more work. that should of been done, but that static line is the only thing that needs to be added. I compared your Subs-Post.php and mine, only difference is the line endings and the static line.

So do things work now properly?
If they are I am sure the missing static line was the bug here.

doughboy99

Hi

Yes all seems to be working OK now. Again many thanks for all yor help.

scottws

If I use the default e-mail address, it adds www in front of the domain.  It looks like you either acknowledged the problem in v1.1 or fixed it in that version, I can't really tell.

I mean it's trivial to put the e-mail in manually, but what is causing this problem?

SleePy

Hmm,

Yea I must of lost the fix I did for it while trying to fix the other issues that where occurring due to how emails are sent out.

Open Subs-Post.php
Find:
        // Hmm.. if they didn't set a NoReplyEmail lets make one up from [email protected]
        $webmaster_email = (isset($modSettings['NoReplyEmail']) && !empty($modSettings['NoReplyEmail']) ? $modSettings['NoReplyEmail'] : 'noreply@' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

Replace:
        // Hmm.. if they didn't set a NoReplyEmail lets make one up from [email protected]
        $webmaster_email = (isset($modSettings['NoReplyEmail']) && !empty($modSettings['NoReplyEmail']) ? $modSettings['NoReplyEmail'] : 'noreply@' . str_replace('www.', '', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']));

That will force www. out of the http_host if it exists..
I will add it into my notes though so I don't forget it this time :P

scottws

Works perfectly.  Thanks!

Advertisement: