News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some mods I believe need to be integrated

Started by Coldfx, January 05, 2007, 04:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldfx

As said in another thread, a user suggested integrating a warn system.  I believe we could use a few integrations.

1. Minimum/Maximum characters/words.
~ Obviously, this sets the posting limits.  Quite useful.

2. Max Subject Length
~ Similar to above (Maybe build off it with a "minimum" subject length).

3. Signature Settings
~ We have control over avatars, yet not signatures?

4. Karma Description
~ If someones going to change your "Karma", don't we deserve to give the user a reason as to why?

5. Profile fields
~ Let's the admin add their own fields to the profile.  Just something you may want to add to give the admin more power.

6. Create Topic on Report
~ The e-Mail feature I found extremely obnoxious the the breif time I used it.  I'd suggest moving from e-Mail, to something in the admin panel, along with this mod.

7. "Advanced Visual Verification" (CAPTCHA)
~ CAPTCHA control over posting, PMs, registering, and searches is somewhat of a "must-have".

8.  User E-Mail system
~ Not that using the users own client, but I always found it much easier to use a web-form, and as stated, it protects the users e-Mail address from spam-bots.

9.  Message Preview OnHover
~ This is more into a "may have".  If it's added, maybe add some control (IE: How much alternate text to show on hover).

10. Global Announcements
~ Mod it to blend a bit better, and I'd fully agree with havng this.

11. Warn System
~ Grudge hinted already/possibly adding this, but just adding for kicks.

12. Reason for Editing
~ I mark this as a "must-have" in my opinion.  Along, maybe mod it to have this "on or off", and "how long an edit can be" options.

EDIT:
13. Advanced Quick Reply
~ Maybe this, with a panel of what shows under quick reply

Suggested: When a thread's locked, have the Quick Reply option not show up.
Suggested: Have "Return to this topic" not be additional, but instead "Leave this topic", and have return on by default.

I know it's a bit much, and a few aren't required, but there are essentials I believe SMF still lacks, and which mark the differences between SMF and vBulletin.

Opinion: Merge Double Post
~ This is more suggested than "must add".  If modded, you could turn it off by default, and count it as an extra.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Peter Duggan

The trouble with these lists (however well-intentioned) is that one person's 'essential' feature is someone else's 'bloat'. So AFAIC, SMF doesn't lack any essentials, but vBulletin lacks SMF's sophisticated tracking of posts read that I regard as essential and miss in *every* other forum system I've encountered...

Coldfx

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 05, 2007, 05:09:24 PM
The trouble with these lists (however well-intentioned) is that one person's 'essential' feature is someone else's 'bloat'. So AFAIC, SMF doesn't lack any essentials, but vBulletin lacks SMF's sophisticated tracking of posts read that I regard as essential and miss in *every* other forum system I've encountered...

I know what you mean, by my point was that a lot of features would have a disable function along with them, so that if it seemed "Bloated" it would be more like "packed with features".  While I agree with what you said, it's just in my experience, I haven't seen so much complaints to the option of taking up half a meg for features maybe 3/4 of the users may end up using.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Coldfx on January 05, 2007, 07:03:18 PM
I know what you mean, by my point was that a lot of features would have a disable function along with them, so that if it seemed "Bloated" it would be more like "packed with features".

While I also understand where you're coming from here, it's important to remember that enabling/disabling extra features means extra settings to be checked and is therefore a potential source of slowdown for everyone's forums. But rest assured that many truly popular, much requested and 'valuable' features have found their way into previous releases and, with the devs considering their merits (or otherwise) carefully, are likely to continue doing so.

Advertisement: