News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

RSS Feed Poster

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 11, 2007, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Thats not an rss feed url. You need get rss feed urls
Example:
http://digg.com/rss/index.xml
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

L.G.S

when will you try to sort the problem of double posting??
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

vbgamer45

I am not working on that problem. I can't recreate it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

oldschoolstroker

Alright...when I try to install this I'm getting this:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Install Actions
Installations actions for "RSS Feed Poster":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    FeedPoster.xml    Modification parse error
2.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
3.    Extract File    ./Sources/FeedPoster.php    
4.    Extract File    ./Sources/Subs-RSS.php    
5.    Extract File    ./cronrss.php    
6.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/FeedPoster.template.php    
7.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/FeedPoster.english.php    
8.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/FeedPoster.english-utf8.php    
9.    Execute Code    FeedPostersql.php

Anyone know how I can make this work?

L.G.S

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 06, 2007, 05:13:19 PM
I am not working on that problem. I can't recreate it.

Use this then:

http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech

That likes to double post, even triple.

www.gamesandgoals.com

Enigma

I think the double post problem comes from actual news (CNN, MSNBC, YAHOO, etc) feeds. I think the problem is in the article itself. Under the main heading there is an "updated time". Could this updated time make RSS Feed Poster think that it is a completely new story, therefore creating new posts?

Fiery

Hello,

Do you know anything about this mod making the board structure corrupt?  It is believed to cause the problem twice:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=141907.0 and http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=149109.0

Do you have a solution?

vbgamer45

I don't know anything about that. I would need to see the feed url. It makes the post from the feed contents.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

webfan

Yes, while I reduced the mod to the function to "synchronize" my forum with my page I found out that,
example
"News foo"
"News foo (udated)"
results in a new/dublicated post.
Maybe popular feeds like enigma posted about are updated often.
------------------------------------------------
OT: news.google.de dont works on my page
------------------------------------------------

The mod is great, thank you
:)

L.G.S

Why can't you just make it so that the mod does not replicate the same title in the same forum within an amount of time (eg 3 days)?

www.gamesandgoals.com

vbgamer45

Quote from: L.G.S on February 09, 2007, 05:01:13 AM
Why can't you just make it so that the mod does not replicate the same title in the same forum within an amount of time (eg 3 days)?
It shouldn't each item is is compared for unique title + description

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Enigma

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 09, 2007, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: L.G.S on February 09, 2007, 05:01:13 AM
It shouldn't each item is is compared for unique title + description

Whenever the news story gets updated, the description changes with an updated time.

L.G.S

So just the title then, not like people want the same title for different stories, who wants 2 different news stories with the exact same title anyway?

www.gamesandgoals.com

crappyday

Quote from: lexhair on January 30, 2007, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: crappyday on January 30, 2007, 06:42:17 AM
Quote from: lexhair on January 29, 2007, 02:03:43 PM
What client does your host provide to allow you to administer your site?

Please don't laugh, I'm using shared hosting with godaddy at the moment but I am currently in the process of switching to another host but the site in particular that I'm trying to get this to work with might not be moved anytime soon because I don't want it down due to propagation. (I know, TMI, lol)
Sorry but if you need to keep godaddy as your host, they don't support cron on their shared hosts AFAIK.
I'm sorry for not getting back to this faster but I did end up changing hosts.  It took me a few days to get this working because I tried this and that and finally finally got it working absolutely GREAT!  Thank you for your help lexhair and to vbgamer45 for this great mod, it took time and patience but in the end it was worth it all.

L.G.S., this is for you.  I'm sorry you are having troubles with this package but I have to say that your attitude is really getting old.  OK, so this isn't working the way you would have wanted it to, it's not the end of the world and if your forum depends on this feature in order for your site to be successful, then why not just post the rss links in html to the index.html page and be done with it.  I don't have the problem with double posting anymore but what I did do is set up a hidden board for the RSS feeds to post into, from there my staff and I decide what seems interesting and what does not, we then move the post(s) to whichever forum those RSS feeds would fit into.  It's not all that much trouble and it keeps from having silly RSS feeds take over our site, this would also help with your massive concern about double and triple posts destroying society as we all know it to be.

I'm sorry if this seems out of line but read back through this topic 7 or 8 times as I have trying to get this mod to work and you'll see where my annoyance level comes from.

iBrood

I'm having some trouble with this mod. Whe I run the cronrss.php file,I get

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

Warning: fopen(http://digg.com/rss/index.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

Warning: fopen(http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

tones_ie

How would you get the feed to import ALL the topic into a forum and not just a lil snippet / teaser.....im trying to see if its possible to have it take teh whole article into a post rather than just 2 lines or so.....

can this be done?  

L.G.S

Quote from: crappyday on February 10, 2007, 10:32:29 AM
Quote from: lexhair on January 30, 2007, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: crappyday on January 30, 2007, 06:42:17 AM
Quote from: lexhair on January 29, 2007, 02:03:43 PM
What client does your host provide to allow you to administer your site?

Please don't laugh, I'm using shared hosting with godaddy at the moment but I am currently in the process of switching to another host but the site in particular that I'm trying to get this to work with might not be moved anytime soon because I don't want it down due to propagation. (I know, TMI, lol)
Sorry but if you need to keep godaddy as your host, they don't support cron on their shared hosts AFAIK.
I'm sorry for not getting back to this faster but I did end up changing hosts.  It took me a few days to get this working because I tried this and that and finally finally got it working absolutely GREAT!  Thank you for your help lexhair and to vbgamer45 for this great mod, it took time and patience but in the end it was worth it all.

L.G.S., this is for you.  I'm sorry you are having troubles with this package but I have to say that your attitude is really getting old.  OK, so this isn't working the way you would have wanted it to, it's not the end of the world and if your forum depends on this feature in order for your site to be successful, then why not just post the rss links in html to the index.html page and be done with it.  I don't have the problem with double posting anymore but what I did do is set up a hidden board for the RSS feeds to post into, from there my staff and I decide what seems interesting and what does not, we then move the post(s) to whichever forum those RSS feeds would fit into.  It's not all that much trouble and it keeps from having silly RSS feeds take over our site, this would also help with your massive concern about double and triple posts destroying society as we all know it to be.

I'm sorry if this seems out of line but read back through this topic 7 or 8 times as I have trying to get this mod to work and you'll see where my annoyance level comes from.

oh yeah I understand, but my annoyance isn't coming from the problems of this mod (as you said, I would just do it myself), its that I asked my question probably 3 times like 10 pages back but did not get my answer, even though the direct poster under me most of the time was the mod creator.

www.gamesandgoals.com

crappyday

Sometimes there are no answers for why things do what they do.  I too have now had a few multiples but I can tell they are worded slightly different from each other.  I'm still not concerned because I have them feeding into a hidden board and only the good topics are being moved to public view.  It's worth a try unless that isn't how you'd like it to work.  Personally I like doing it that way because many of the feeds are quite lame and having them all go to a board where members can post would end up burying any useful or interesting topics for members to post in.

I'll leave this be now, I have it working well enough that I can manage on my own and I appreciate everyone's help and vbgamer for making this available and for doing his best to help everyone

iBrood

Quote from: iBrood on February 11, 2007, 01:55:56 AM
I'm having some trouble with this mod. Whe I run the cronrss.php file,I get

Warning: fopen(http://digg.com/rss/index.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

Warning: fopen(http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/.margisia/iplox/thinknest.com/Sources/Subs-RSS.php on line 314

It seems that I'll have to use cURL for the job. I found it mentioned that this mod has support for cURL. How do I activate it?

L.G.S

Quote from: crappyday on February 11, 2007, 10:17:57 PM
Sometimes there are no answers for why things do what they do.  I too have now had a few multiples but I can tell they are worded slightly different from each other.  I'm still not concerned because I have them feeding into a hidden board and only the good topics are being moved to public view.  It's worth a try unless that isn't how you'd like it to work.  Personally I like doing it that way because many of the feeds are quite lame and having them all go to a board where members can post would end up burying any useful or interesting topics for members to post in.

I'll leave this be now, I have it working well enough that I can manage on my own and I appreciate everyone's help and vbgamer for making this available and for doing his best to help everyone

I'd rather know that there is no answer, than get no answer to it at all.

www.gamesandgoals.com

Advertisement: