News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

RSS Feed Poster

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 11, 2007, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexhair

Have to say this is an excellent mod for my needs. It keeps my 'eventcalendar' on my blog (feed source) synchronized with my 'events' forum on SMF. Not sure if I'd want feeds that update more frequently in the board.

L.G.S

40,000 pages of this today, not that nice having to come onto a slow forum because of it..

http://www.ruthlessintent.com/board/index.php?amp;action=login2
8: Undefined offset: 8
File: /home/tscar/public_html/board/Sources/Subs-RSS.php
Line: 176

3rd time
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

vbgamer45

I don't know how to fix that.
I would remove the mod if it is causing problems.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

webfan

Quotefake cron job checks every page view if a feed has not been posted yet.
Mh. I changed
// RSS Feed Poster run fake cron job
if (!empty($modSettings['rss_fakecron']))
{

require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-RSS.php');
UpdateRSSFeedBots();
}

to

// RSS Feed Poster run fake cron job
if (!empty($modSettings['rss_fakecron']))
{
     $n=time();
     $fp = fopen ('rss_cron.txt', 'r');
                     $l= fread ($fp,255);
                     fclose ($fp);
                     $l_ = $l +  (60 * 60);
                     if($n > $l_)
                      {
require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-RSS.php');
UpdateRSSFeedBots();

$fp = fopen ('rss_cron.txt','w+');
                        fwrite($fp,$n);
                        fclose($fp);
     }
}

to try to let it check hourly. Is this OK, or could cause it problems?

Enigma

mram48

I seem to not be able to find this or figure it out, take your pick which.. Anyway, how do I install this thing to begin with? I just can't seem to figure that part out. I'm using Mambo, and I have searched both the mambo site and this one and find nodda on how to install the rss feed poster for SMF. I have the script, have the CMS and the forum, but the directions got left out somewhere along the line...or I just don't or can't figure it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

vbgamer45

You use the SMF Package Manager to install it. Either go though the package manager and upload via there.
Or ftp the file to your SMF packages folder then use Package Manager to install.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

NineseveN

Quote from: GC on January 23, 2007, 05:35:02 PM
I think you should all know that this used up ALOT of bandwidth. I had it installed and working for about a week, and it used over 98 GB is bandwidth (ALOT!), this includes my forum activity too... I also have 25 feeds being added every 6 hours :P

98gigs? Holy Cow! That's insane...anyone have any idea what a daily cron job would amount to in bandwidth? Can't be much...

vbgamer45

I don't think that means the mod uses that bandwidth it is just downloading text files. He says that includes forum activity as well probably has downloads on the site.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

maxprofit

I am using real cron job. I have no problem with bandwidth. So far well under 2G for the month of January and our FORUM is a trader forum with many charts etc.

Been running RSS feed for a couple weeks now.

All is well. Works great

crappyday

I have this installed and running fine but with the exception of the duplicate posts.  I'm not using this on a live board and I'm not getting any errors.  I have been using the fake cron jobs.  I've seen this question posted a few times in this topic but there appears to be no answer and not much attempts to answer this.  Any help?

vbgamer45

Duplicate posts haven't figured out it should not be making them though.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

crappyday

Could someone give an example of a real cron job?  I have searched and it seems to be something I don't get very well.

lexhair

Quote from: crappyday on January 29, 2007, 12:51:25 PM
Could someone give an example of a real cron job?  I have searched and it seems to be something I don't get very well.
Try this or this and I'll try to walk you through it if you have problems.

crappyday

Quote from: lexhair on January 29, 2007, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: crappyday on January 29, 2007, 12:51:25 PM
Try this or this and I'll try to walk you through it if you have problems.
That loses me even more because I don't have a crontab in my cPanel (it's not a conventional cPanel).  Is this a script that I need to execute or just upload via FTP?  I'm sorry if I sound like a total noob but in this case I most certainly am.

lexhair

What client does your host provide to allow you to administer your site?

ormuz

The posts are created with strange letters Like:

Marítimo, but should be Marítimo

any ideias to solve this?
[/quote]

KGIII

For those of you who were getting errors I would like to call your attention to this thread:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=146172

More specifically:

Re: RSS Feed Poster help...:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=146172.msg933169#msg933169

SleePy managed to figure something out. I am still trying to figure out what exactly his changes did that made the errors go away. ;) It was important enough to follow up and add the link here though.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

crappyday

Quote from: lexhair on January 29, 2007, 02:03:43 PM

Please don't laugh, I'm using shared hosting with godaddy at the moment but I am currently in the process of switching to another host but the site in particular that I'm trying to get this to work with might not be moved anytime soon because I don't want it down due to propagation. (I know, TMI, lol)

lexhair

Quote from: crappyday on January 30, 2007, 06:42:17 AM
Quote from: lexhair on January 29, 2007, 02:03:43 PM

Please don't laugh, I'm using shared hosting with godaddy at the moment but I am currently in the process of switching to another host but the site in particular that I'm trying to get this to work with might not be moved anytime soon because I don't want it down due to propagation. (I know, TMI, lol)
Sorry but if you need to keep godaddy as your host, they don't support cron on their shared hosts AFAIK.

Advertisement: