News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Username issue after conversion

Started by Orb!ter, January 14, 2007, 02:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orb!ter

Hi all,

I have just finished converting a database for one of the forums I run from IPB 1.3 to SMF. This is the final one to do, and well this problem I am having is going to be a nightmare given the number of members in this one.

Basically I have converted using the convert script (where it failed in posts which I restructured the query it spat out to get it working successfully), but the problem like the other conversions I have done is the use of symbols in a name. For example, my name (Orb!ter) doesn't work as there is an ! in the name. IPB seems to replace using ! which is fine - except it won't let me log in ;)

Before I write my own script to change the database to remove these characters, does anyone else know of a way or is there a script readily available that will assist in rewriting members names into a proper SMF format (ie without the HTML replacement).

For the record, I have just spent 40 minutes searching for the result, so maybe it's a rare one :S

Thanks,
Orb!ter

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Orb!ter

Not yet - will be testing my 'conversion' script eventually - just have to replace all IPB's HTML code with the proper character and let MySQL take care of the rest ;)

Orb!ter

JayBachatero

The user name should be able to transfer though.  SMF supports ! in usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

Orb!ter

Yes, but SMF doesn't recognise Orb#33;ter (or something similar) as Orb!ter. What I need to do is replace all instances of a character HTML replacement with the actual character and let MySQL deal with it.

JayBachatero

You not looking to convert again right?  I can make the converter un_htmlspecialchars on the usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

Orb!ter

Well, i can reconvert the data - will be doing this in February again, but yeah - pretty much an un_htmlspecialchars would be great, mind you if you don't have time time I am able to write up pretty much the same thing.

Thanks,
Orb!ter

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: