Username issue after conversion

Started by Orb!ter, January 14, 2007, 02:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orb!ter

Hi all,

I have just finished converting a database for one of the forums I run from IPB 1.3 to SMF. This is the final one to do, and well this problem I am having is going to be a nightmare given the number of members in this one.

Basically I have converted using the convert script (where it failed in posts which I restructured the query it spat out to get it working successfully), but the problem like the other conversions I have done is the use of symbols in a name. For example, my name (Orb!ter) doesn't work as there is an ! in the name. IPB seems to replace using ! which is fine - except it won't let me log in ;)

Before I write my own script to change the database to remove these characters, does anyone else know of a way or is there a script readily available that will assist in rewriting members names into a proper SMF format (ie without the HTML replacement).

For the record, I have just spent 40 minutes searching for the result, so maybe it's a rare one :S

Thanks,
Orb!ter

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Orb!ter

Not yet - will be testing my 'conversion' script eventually - just have to replace all IPB's HTML code with the proper character and let MySQL take care of the rest ;)

Orb!ter

JayBachatero

The user name should be able to transfer though.  SMF supports ! in usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

Orb!ter

Yes, but SMF doesn't recognise Orb#33;ter (or something similar) as Orb!ter. What I need to do is replace all instances of a character HTML replacement with the actual character and let MySQL deal with it.

JayBachatero

You not looking to convert again right?  I can make the converter un_htmlspecialchars on the usernames.
Follow me on Twitter

Orb!ter

Well, i can reconvert the data - will be doing this in February again, but yeah - pretty much an un_htmlspecialchars would be great, mind you if you don't have time time I am able to write up pretty much the same thing.

Thanks,
Orb!ter

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: