News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Loading

Started by StarCube, July 23, 2004, 10:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarCube

Basically when devising the pack, I would like to see it in a .exe or simarlar file. Which we upload and then open, which directly goes to Setup.php so that we do not have to upload several files and have them all into one place. Once Setup the forum then is automatically placed  into a file called Community and left on your FTP Server.

I seem to be rambling, but I guess you get the picture?

Chris Cromer

Are you talking about having an installer that is an executable? If not then I am confused.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

StarCube

What you said, no Chris your not Confused... I am

Peter Duggan

Quote from: StarCube on July 23, 2004, 10:22:53 AM
Once Setup the forum then is automatically placed  into a file called Community and left on your FTP Server.

But supposing you don't want it in a file called 'Community'? ???

FYI, YaBB SE had an installer that created most of the directories and files, but it also required a separate safe mode version and IMHO wasn't any easier to install!

Ben_S

Quote from: Peter Duggan on July 23, 2004, 04:49:30 PM
FYI, YaBB SE had an installer that created most of the directories and files, but it also required a separate safe mode version and IMHO wasn't any easier to install!

Thought it was a lot faster to upload on dial up where ftping loads of seperate files can take an age.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Peter Duggan

Perhaps it was, but it was also a pain if you just needed fresh copies of a couple of files and had to download a whole new (safe mode) package because everything was tied up in that .ya!

StarCube

Once Setup the forum then is automatically placed  into a file called Community and left on your FTP Server.

You can rename to file whatever you want after setup.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: StarCube on July 24, 2004, 08:55:43 AM

You can rename to file whatever you want after setup.

Perhaps you'd better explain what you mean by 'file' because it's not at all clear to me:

• If (as I'd assumed) you mean the SMF directory (eg somesite/SMF/), that would be no help at all because it'd be a pain to change all the paths after installation when you can currently upload to wherever you want, as well as a complete non-starter if you wanted to install your forum to your main site URL (eg somesite/).
  • If, OTH, you're suggesting leaving the installer on site and calling it 'Community' after all the files have been extracted and installed, that seems completely pointless to me.

Fizzy

IMHO I love all the uploading / downloading / settings / tweaking malarky. It's all part of the admin position and one that gives me the most satisfaction. I would hate to lose that to an .exe file.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Christian Land

I think there will be a (more or less) one-file installer when SMF goes Final.... at least it would be a good idea to have the same distribution methods again that YSE had... (single-file & all files in an archive)

StarCube

Quote from: SnowCrash on July 26, 2004, 08:19:10 AM
I think there will be a (more or less) one-file installer when SMF goes Final.... at least it would be a good idea to have the same distribution methods again that YSE had... (single-file & all files in an archive)

That's what I was trying to say, it would be a lot simpler if you had all the other files in one big file.

Fizzy

Admitted it certainly would help a lot of people to install SMF :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

emrys

yes BUT NOT everyone knows wether or not they are in safe mode for one,
for two if you want to just upload one file download the .tar.gz file upload it and decompress it via the shell on your server, Frankly I am on a dialup which is slower then growing grass and i have no problems uploading the files for smf it takes a max of 15 minutes so i dont see what the big deal is other then people not wanting to take their time to upload and install it by had, whihc as we all know is better anyway less chance of screwups moving between servers platforms and versions of mysql and php both normal and safe mode

Ben_S

Quote from: quadroplex on July 26, 2004, 01:54:48 PM
yes BUT NOT everyone knows wether or not they are in safe mode for one,
for two if you want to just upload one file download the .tar.gz file upload it and decompress it via the shell on your server,

If people can't work out if they are on safe mode or not, then it's even less likely they will be able to work out that they can type tar zxvf smf-whatever.tar.gz ::).

QuoteFrankly I am on a dialup which is slower then growing grass and i have no problems uploading the files for smf it takes a max of 15 minutes so i dont see what the big deal is other then people not wanting to take their time to upload and install it by had, whihc as we all know is better anyway less chance of screwups moving between servers platforms and versions of mysql and php both normal and safe mode

The install process is/was exactly the same, save for the file being extracted for you...

emrys

yeah which makes a WORLD of difference no making sure your uploading the files in the right mode no chmodding personally i like to know whats being done on my server plus with the files being extracted FOR you as opposed to doing it yourself the ownership settings are screwed its a problem ive had to fix many many times

Plus not all hosts specify whether its in safe mode or not which means you either need to ask or look at the php.ini file which you are not always allowed to access if you dont run on a server you have su access too bottom line the "simple loader" just makes things more complicated for the developer and anyone who has to edit files that are extracted afterwards because the ownerships are not set properly which means you cant so much as edit the permissions of the extracted files

Ben_S

<?php phpinfo; ?>

Though I understand where you are coming from, can be a pain when nobody owns the extracted files...

emrys

Well yeah IF someone KNOWS Php but how many people who USE this software are devs? remember end users lol if everyone knew how to write programs lmao we'd all  be out of a job

Anguz

If the person doesn't know how to deal with a different kind of install, he/she can do the normal file-by-file one. I'd say that an archive option would be nice for the installer.

Peter, I think that rather than a .ya file, a .tar.gz would work. Upload that and the setup.php script to deal with the rest into the dir where you want the forum. If setup.php already tries to set permissions, it can probably try to get the stuff out of the archive first as well. That same archive you can use for your fresh copies of the files without downloading another archive. It could even not need to be a different setup for archived and separate files, the same script could first check if the archive is present in that dir as well and if not, skip that step.

I haven't thought too much about this and don't know much about ownership in FTP though, so I may be saying something crazy.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Advertisement: