News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

converting from IPB2 PF3

Started by Sarke, January 05, 2007, 03:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarke

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.1
Yeah, IPB2 PF3 is what I'm using. It was one of the last free ones, a trial as long as I was considering to buy it. I was undecided on it for 30 months now, and I've decided to go with SMF. :P

A few of questions for you fine folks:

1. I want to set SMF up and finetune it before I make the switch. Can I change the install dir after the installation? I.e. /www/smf/ to /www/forum/

2. I want to import the IPB database on a trial run first, so I want to make sure that it leaves the existing db alone so I can keep running the old forum. Also, how can I make sure that members won't get notifications from the SMF forum while they're still using the IPB forum?

3. I want to use the Topic Description mod, so how can I convert the topic descriptions from my IPB forum?

I appreciate any advice.

My MODs          Please don't PM me for support, post in the appropriate topic.

codenaught

Quote1. I want to set SMF up and finetune it before I make the switch. Can I change the install dir after the installation? I.e. /www/smf/ to /www/forum/
Yes, you can move it or rename it. You just will have to run repair_settings.php (or manually update the path in Settings.php). What is repair_settings.php?

Quote2. I want to import the IPB database on a trial run first, so I want to make sure that it leaves the existing db alone so I can keep running the old forum. Also, how can I make sure that members won't get notifications from the SMF forum while they're still using the IPB forum?
During the conversion the original database is left completely untouched.

Quote3. I want to use the Topic Description mod, so how can I convert the topic descriptions from my IPB forum?
The script would need to be edited to support this.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Sarke

Thanks for the reply, but during the week before your reply I figured out the first two answers and wrote a conversion script for the third.  :)

Thank you for replying though, it's nice to see it wasn't just ignored.

My MODs          Please don't PM me for support, post in the appropriate topic.

JayBachatero

Sarke can you please send me your ipb_to_smf.sql file so that I can test a working converter with the local copy that I have here.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Advertisement: