add BB Code buttons to the edit signature window

Started by klumy, July 25, 2004, 05:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klumy

hi

it would be great if the BB Code buttons wuld also be available in the "edit signature" window in the "user profile".  So the user can also easily use BB code formatting in the his signature.

Amacythe

I thought this had been requested before.  I suggested that the members create their sigs in a test board, then copy and paste it to their sig when they get what they want.

klumy

but not every forum has a separate "Test" forum

Amacythe

True, but they could test it in any thread if so desired.

klumy

but then they have to remove the thread by themselves or be moderators. This could be omitted if they can directly enter the BBcodes in their user profile.

Amacythe

klumy

We should think about it again. Many novice users would profit from this feature and it would also improve the forumcomfort.

Ben_S

Quote from: klumy on July 25, 2004, 07:22:21 AM
but then they have to remove the thread by themselves or be moderators. This could be omitted if they can directly enter the BBcodes in their user profile.

They don't need to post a post whilst using it in the post screen. Theres also comprehensive help on BBC useage.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

klumy

like I already said, implementing this feature would improve the comfort for novice user.
I first saw this feature in ib 2.x and vbb 3.x, and it looks great.

Peter Duggan

IMHO it's bloat and would still be bloat if it was an option!

robo47

i dont have to post the test-signature, there's a preview-button which allows me to look how my signature will look and i dont have to post and delete or dont have to create a testboard. easy way with just a little bit to think

klumy

of course you can use the preview function, but with the additional toolbar it would work much faster and better.

Ben_S

Only a few people want it, shouldn't be difficult to add it yourself using the template engine.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: klumy on July 25, 2004, 10:40:45 AM
but with the additional toolbar it would work much faster and better.

'Faster and better' can be a very subjective thing. So, to many of us, this kind of needless bloat for a once-in-a-blue-moon task like signature editing can only mean 'slower and worse'!

klumy

the modification would just be in the profile. although the profile load site would get a little bigger, I don't think this would have an impact to the overal forum speed, because most users just rarely use the profile settings.

Peter Duggan

But every little bit of bloat also adds to the size of the distributed packages!

klumy

current distributionsize is 1Mb. How much additional space would this feature cost?

Daniel D.

I think this shoud be a mod due to the fact that a signature wasn't created to present a DHTML/Flash/Javascript-based Webpage or Info base. In my eyes it should contain some minor information than a big presentation, therefor I shut down the display of sigs in my profil because most of them are annoying to look at. Leave this feature for a mod or we have even more people with sigs that makes users scroll 4 times more to reach the end of a page... :P

Peter Duggan

Quote from: klumy on July 25, 2004, 01:58:21 PM
current distributionsize is 1Mb.

Which is already painful enough for download and installation over 56K dial-up...

QuoteHow much additional space would this feature cost?

But it's not just this feature (please read what I said), it's *every* little bit of bloat! So you might want it but the evidence here doesn't exactly suggest that everyone else is crying out for it, so it looks like clear theme or mod territory to me.

Advertisement: