Cant connect to database on localhost

Started by weightman, July 07, 2007, 02:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weightman

Sorry if this is totally obvious, but I'm a newbie. I'm trying to set up a test site with a backup of my SMF site and database on my local machine use xampp. Which directory do I put the database file and what should the filename be? I am getting "Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Thanks in advance.

Sarge

Are you sure that Apache, MySQL and PHP are running and configured correctly?

Are you using the correct database info for SMF?

Have you followed the installation guide in the Online Manual?
Installing SMF

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

onlinecooking

I installed SMF and it was working fine and then suddenly I got this error: "Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Online Cooking
www.onlinecooking.net
Free food resource site

shadow82x

open up settings.php and make sure you have VALID MYSQL info. If thats not the issue contact your host.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

babjusi

Quote from: onlinecooking on September 03, 2007, 12:59:34 PM
I installed SMF and it was working fine and then suddenly I got this error: "Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Did you change anything in the server settings? Check the settings.php file and make sure that the db info in there is correct. If that is the case, then it is a hosting issue, contact them  to have the problem sorted out

babjusi

onlinecooking

But my other db tables and databases do not pass back any errors.  I made no modifications to the settings file.
Online Cooking
www.onlinecooking.net
Free food resource site

Dragooon

Then it would be a better choice to contact your host. As what all I have read, It seems to me that MySQL server is not responding.

shadow82x

Maybe you changed a setting SMF can't reach your MYSQL settings just confirm its valid.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

onlinecooking

Heh, I ended up just adding a new user to the database, that fixed it.  I guess I put the wrong password opr something in.  No idea how that happened.  Thanks for your help.
Online Cooking
www.onlinecooking.net
Free food resource site

Advertisement: